Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses in my spring garden

+9
Ausrose
jordan71
neptune
SueH
maree
AutumnDamask
betsyw
The Lazy Rosarian
silkyfizz
13 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Roses in my spring garden - Page 4 Empty Re: Roses in my spring garden

Post by silkyfizz 8th November 2013, 20:12

Sorry Betsy, must be having a seniors moment....Gloss??Non comprende.
What white stuff? Do you mean the Perle D'Or blooming behind Elina? Soon the feverfew will be out to add to white froth. (Remember that elizabethan collar? Lol).
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th November 2013, 20:19

Sorry, gloss as in the wanky term for brief explanation, ie "gloss the photos on your mantel for me".

Perle D'Or is the big bush?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th November 2013, 20:41

Ahh, got it."gloss"...must remember Lol.
Now the bed: From the fence is Perle D'or (apricot version of Cecile Brunner) which was part of the original bed and several years old. Climbing the fence is a new clematis.In front of Pd'O is the sumptuous Elina, pale creamy lemon. She's already taller than me. Directly in front of Elina is Munstead Wood, glowing crimson. To the left of MW is Charles De Gaulle with Ebb Tide tucked behind. Not in the shot is Barbra S and then Graham Thomas. Lilies, iris, viola Johnny JumpUp and feverfew underplanted as well as a rogue nasturtium. Wrong colour but don't have the heart to yank it. Skinny trunk is jacaranda whose mauve ties it all together.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 9th November 2013, 05:53

Silky, your roses are just beautiful! Thank you for sharing those lovely photos. Makes me want to get out and dig up new spots for roses!

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 06:00

Great info, silky. I have to say that Charles deG is doing very well for, as he did for me. How do you like his scent, compared to your other mauves (and you have plenty to compare, do you not?)

I,m very sold on Jessika, btw. She's on the list.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th November 2013, 11:20

Betsy, Charles does have a lovely strong scent, sort of heavy in it's perfume, compared to say Babs which is sweeter. I'm not good at describing fragrance, so my apologies.
Yes little Jessika with her huge blooms is just gorgeous. I've got a pair of them side by side. The first bush was blooming when it was just a weeny thing and its only taken a week or so for that plant to shoot new canes and double her size. Pic above is the second plant starting her show. They look extremely healthy. Some fragrance but it's early days yet. The display rose at MG had a fantastic fragrance, stopped me in my tracks. Keep her on your list. I'll post updates on how she goes.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 11:55

Yes, I thought Charlie had a very good scent, and it wafted, which adds extra points to its scent-score in my book. Good producer, too, and no weather issues. I didn't take my pair with me when we moved, only because Charlie looked great on the bush, and just dead grey in the vase. Otherwise, a recommendable rose for sure. Looks great in your garden! I think I am going to like Babs more, when I get her next season (unless one flings itself at me at a nursery in the meantime).

Cannot WAIT to spend money on a Jessika. Thanks for nothing ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th November 2013, 13:16

Yes Betsy, those nursery roses that simply fling themselves at you and refuse to take no for an answer are a hazard are they not? Lol. But bless their little hearts for when you find one you have hankered for and troop out to the car with it tucked lovingly in your clutches, doesn't it lift your spirits with sheer joy. Hope your Jessika awaits you somewhere, sitting patiently in her pot. And....you're welcome Lol
I agree about Charles and his greyish hue in a vase. Babs however you will lurve. She all but jumps up with her 'look at me' flowers and strong perfume. I'm so hoping she will stay healthy. Her new growth is strong and rosy, a robust girl if ever I've seen one, despite her bad press.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th November 2013, 13:38

This has been copied from Neptune's post in "Maybe Some Interest",
copied by roseman(David), I understand this conversation is basically between two people, but as Neptune points out we do have new members here. Some older one's might as well.

Please be careful with Abbreviations.........

the search engine doesn't understand abbrevs....and

if a newbie is reading they don't understand and maybe a bit shy asking what a abbrev stands for
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 14:33

Is it not sufficient for a rose to be referred to by its full name in the first post of a thread, and thereafter shortened by abbreviation?

FWIW: I entered Charles de Gaulle, Charles deGaulle, de gaulle and degaulle in the search box. The engine located nothing, anywhere on the board. Is there a trick to this search engine?

Also FWIW: We are not the most consistent or careful spellers in the world here, especially with antique rose names. If we see what we think is an error in spelling, do we bypass diplomacy and point it out? Seems a bit rude, but the search engine won't have a clue.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2013, 19:06

Luv , your garden Silky , its good to see the whole bed not just pic's of roses too , got to write some of these names down , i'm down to one bed left , which might house three roses at a pinch unfortunately the blueberries there might have to go , so i have to choose very carefully , your Barbara Streisand i am keeping a close eye on Silky lol ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th November 2013, 19:11

betsyw wrote:Is it not sufficient for a rose to be referred to by its full name in the first post of a thread, and thereafter shortened by abbreviation?
Just for myself, I find when I'm flicking through the mass of new posts that I don't want to scroll back (especially when we've been chatting for ages and the threads are multiple pages long. L.O.L.  ) to try and work out sometimes which rose is being talked about. I'll admit I was a bit confused in this thread with all the "first name only" use. But then again I was tired when I first looked at it.
But that's just me. With my proper-use-of-scientific-names hang-ups.
Roses in my spring garden - Page 4 3751397237 
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th November 2013, 19:21

OK I'll try to maintain proper names in my posts to keep the search engine happy. Also this thread was never meant to be a closed conversation, I posted to share my pictures for anyone interested, regulars and newbies.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th November 2013, 19:31

Thanks Maree. One bed left? What a dilemma. Have you planted your 3 standards yet? They should look lovely together.
Does strong wind create a problem for standards? With strong winds lately I've already lost 2 big new canes from Mr Lincoln (bush), and I'd already staked and tied as a precaution.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 19:48

Yes, agreed that having to go back and back and back to work out names is a bore, but where there are six posts on one page, in tight sequence, talking about a handful of roses, all of which have their names in full spelled out in the first post of the 6-post sequence, I cannot see that much or any effort is needed to follow the conversation. That's just me, and I'd be a stickler, too, for scientific names if I knew any.

Addressing roseman's/neptune's concerns about thwarting searches, the site search engine can't seem to locate the correct names even when they are spelled out. Why worry about endlessly spelling things out for a search engine that's a doofus anyway?Unless I'm the doofus, and don't grasp how to send the engine on its appointed rounds. If using a Google search , then I would find, say, Charles de Gaulle via silky's first post on page 5/6, and I'm off and running.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2013, 20:11

Silky , i'm planting those three roses tomorrow , have been digging over the soil , just hoping they get enough sun , the bed gets about 5 hours in summer less in the other months , time will tell , David Austins i think require less sun , so it will be interesting to compare Jubillee Celebration with Charles de Gaulle and Jardin de Bagatelle . Wind yes is a problem , i stake and tie all the roses ,lots of stakes , i had Violina in a windy spot and it was hopeless , even as you say with tying them the canes still broke off, being a big tall rose , had to pull it out and am now looking for a more sheltered spot ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th November 2013, 22:07

Trying to find the perfect conditions for our roses within the limitations of a suburban back yard is a challenge isn't it and SO frustrating. Huge pine trees next door really cut out a lot of the sun, so my roses usually have to do their best with at most 5-6 hours of sunlight in summer. Another neighbour has just removed another tall pine. Great but now there seems to be a wind tunnel effect. My perfect foxgloves now look like drunken old men, some things just flattened. But when I find fantastic canes laden with rose buds lying in the debris, just breaks my heart.
I hope your new roses like their spot and bloom their hearts out. Wonderful colour combination. The pink of Jubilee Celebration should lift the mauve of Charles de Gaulle and Jardin de Bagatelle has that creamy warmth to complement both. Their combined fragrance should be a knockout. Love to see photos when you're done.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2013, 23:08

The wind is a real bugger Silky , we get plenty of it here too ,i stake everything , had a friend come to stay once who was from inland and she couldn't believe how windy it was, its the north winds that are the killer though , fries everything , thankfully none of those so far this year . A wind tunnel doesn't sound good , is there any way you can sort of even it up , like having a gate somewhere that has big gaps in it , i read that somewhere . The colours of the new roses should go good together , they are going in a long narrow bed , so side by side , can't for the life of me decide which one to put where though lol , when they bloom i'll post some pics , oh and my mum loves Soul Mate , i'll take some pics of it too ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th November 2013, 16:03

Orange Alien has now been definitely identified by the grower as Parkinson's Passion, for anyone that was wondering. Looks a bit rosier now, rather than neon orange.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th November 2013, 16:09

Here is the little information that HMF has Silky
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th November 2013, 16:14

Thanks Roseman, I'd already checked HMF as soon as the growers identified it from my photo.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th November 2013, 16:18

I have not looked Silky, but if you went to Dicksons site it might tell you more about it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th December 2013, 14:40

Well it's not spring any more but here are a few things blooming in my summer garden at the moment.

Best Friend
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Graham Thomas

Chartreusse de Parme

Frances Dubrueil

Ebb Tide

Red Intuition - a bloom machine. The blooms are darker than the picture shows.

Darcy Bussell - another bloom machine, even with the loss of a couple of big canes in the wind.

And now for some non-rosy things if you'll excuse my self indulgence.

Asiastic lilies - I like to use these to enhance the colours of the roses, and just because they're lovely.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />

Dwarf Hidcote Lavender - a new one I've tried. Hasn't gone leggy like others.

Bird's Nest Fern - years old, 1.5m diameter, a cool grande dame
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th December 2013, 15:26

An utterly magnificent collection! Then again, so are ALL your collections. Silky, I would love it if you would give us a role call of all your roses. A list would be very helpful to me, because I so admire your taste in roses.

Red Intuition seems to be holding its stripes.  What a power flower. How old is yours?

Do you detect any scent at all in Darcey?

Like those lilies a lot, too. Have always wondered about growing some in a pot for the fragrance and the delightful form. Are yours scented?

Last question: Darcey Bussell vs Munstead Wood. Which do you prefer?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th December 2013, 19:41

Betsy, thank you, you are so good for my gardening ego. Lol. Now to your questions...

Red Intuition was only planted this year and it has surprised me with the number of blooms it produces.  Flowers early and holds its flowers forever. It was originally a florists rose so blooms have perfect formation but little/no scent. Healthy and strong. A very hard rose to photograph, haven't seen any photos that do it justice. A rich deep red, regal looking.

Darcy Bussell has some fragrance but not in the same league as Munstead, which has a rich perfume but you have to bend way over to smell it. However Darcy just keeps producing flowers that stay on the bush for ages, unlike Munstead which tends to drop its petals all too soon. Whoosh! (like so many DA's do). Colour wise they are both richly jewel-like, Munstead a shade darker, Darcy changes a little as she ages to a purply dark mauve, still nice, not muddy. Darcy has it for shape as a plant, nicely symmetrical and would make a great pot specimen. I only planted Darcy this year so it has made great growth, even considering iwind snapped off 2 big flower laden canes. Munstead I love but it is more a skinny slow grower. My preference? Get them both!

Re the lilies. Last year I planted 3 packets of lilies. They are great fillers and readily multiply. I think they just add a touch of romance to the garden. The pink ones have a lovely fragrance, not over powering. I want to plant some more white ones that are strongly perfumed. When I'm in Bunnings I sometimes pick up new bulbs to try. I have some in a pot - they must be 6ft tall. Easy peasy to grow.

I will happily post my list of all my roses soon for you Betsy.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next