Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses in my spring garden

+9
Ausrose
jordan71
neptune
SueH
maree
AutumnDamask
betsyw
The Lazy Rosarian
silkyfizz
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Roses in my spring garden - Page 5 Empty Re: Roses in my spring garden

Post by silkyfizz 10th December 2013, 19:52

A couple more:
Daybreaker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Kardinal - flowers are looser now that spring flush has finished

Parkinson's Passion aka Midwich Cuckoo (after neon orange stage it mellows out)
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 10th December 2013, 20:22

Very nice piccies and very healthy happy roses (and lilies etc.).. quite partial to daybreaker
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th February 2014, 19:47

Betsy, sorry I had forgotten to list all my roses as you requested. So here they are. I'm putting them in order of their beds so I don't lose track.
Crepescule
Apricot Nectar

Julia's Rose - no pic, blooms so infrequent

Just Joey

Margaret Merrill

Blue Moon

Cecile Brunner
Kardinal
"Dad's rose" - unidentified
[img[URL=https://s1250.photobucket.com/user/silkyfizz/media/spring%20garden%202013/orchid018_zps679aa394.jpg.html[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL][/img]
Perle D'Or

Elina
Victoria Gold
Gold Bunny

Ebb Tide
Munstead Wood
Charles De Gaulle
Barbra Streisand
Graham Thomas

Abraham Darby
Jubilee Celebration
Darcy Bussell
Pierre de Ronsard

Duet
Dioressence
Chartreusse de Parme
Old Port
Best Friend
Henri Matisse - no pic
Queen Adelaide - no pic
Frances Dubrueill
Parkinson's Passion

Mr Lincoln
Red Intuition
Fragrant Cloud
[img][URL=https://s1250.photobucket.com/user/silkyfizz/media/gardenspring2048_zpse0f804d8.jpg.html[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Grimaldi

Jessika
Joy of Life

Eyes for You (pot)

Daybreaker (pot)

I think that's it. Now it's your turn Betsy! Very Happy
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th February 2014, 19:54

Sorry, didn't realise I've just posted doubles of some of those in previous posts. Didn't mean to look like a big-noting twit.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 8th February 2014, 20:24

Thanks for sharing, silky...your roses are absolutely gorgeous!
I think I may have 'rose envy'. Mine are still slumbering through a self-imposed sleep due to the unseasonally dry weather up here! They'll probably wake up and send out all sorts of shoots and buds in shock when it finally does rain!!
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th February 2014, 21:56

Oh Rosebud I don't deserve your praise I'm afraid. All those pix were taken before the heat, but thank you anyway.
I hope your roses wake up soon and dazzle you with their blooms.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by martino 8th February 2014, 22:45

hi there silky nice roses you have there blooming, how do you find Joy of life rose?

martino

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th February 2014, 08:57

OMG, how depressing. Just a stunning, perfect collection. I hate you. So glad (not) you did give us a double taste of some, silky. Rub it in, why doncha?

Could of course kill you and steal all your roses. There's a thought....

Is that just ONE Red Intuition? And the Crepuscule - how old?

betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 09:58

Hi Martino. I have 3 Joy of Life roses, planted bareroot last year. I really like them, always seem to have lots of flowers and very healthy apart from some BS, with new canes produced quickly. The colour I don't think would be to everyone's taste, being a bit harsh (tones well with Fragrant Cloud though), but I wanted them to be visible from a distance, and that they are. I much prefer this to Double Delight. Flower formation is typical high centred HT and good for picking. They last a long time on the bush. Only moderate perfume though. A good tough rose.

Betsy, hahaha, you always crack me up. You did ask me to post my roses so you only have yourself to blame. Yes that is just one Red Intuition, planted last season. This was taken late spring I think before strong winds shook it up and damaged some roots I think. I nearly cried. It has rallied however and is making a comeback, but slowly.
My Crepescule is several years old. It gets almost no TLC and I'm constantly hacking it back, with no adverse effects. I figure that if the gardeners at Flemington Racecourse can keep theirs confined to a civilised hedge size, I can take to it with gusto. It puts on a wonderful show in spring and smaller flushes through the season.
Now Betsy, hows about showing me all your roses? Please....?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th February 2014, 12:12

silky, I would have been happier to comply with request for my roses in parade about two months ago, before heat and bugs took their toll. I am waiting on soem comebacks, but even my top producing Firefighters look shabby. Still popping blooms, but they look like homeless people in search of a hand-out. Will you settle for just a few comments in the meantime?

Let me start with a real surprise - Ebb Tide. Now, I should have taken happy snaps of this one about two week ago - LOADED with flower buds. Okay, teh scent isn't much, and the pompom isn't to die for, but this particualr specimen produces almost in quantities and frequency to match FF - and it's only new (gift from a friend). Next round, I'll photograph for sure. Colour is deep ruby-black at the moment, fading to more purple, but not yet the colur advertsised. Curiously, the butterflies and bees, who love blue and purple things, read the blooms as purple, I think, because this is the rose they are attracted to, forsaking all others ;-).

Another surprise - not a good one - is that three gorgeous Baronne Edmund de Rothschilds are not so gorgeous this year. Two have RMV, but even so they are inexplicably struggling to have any fun at all in life - when they bloom, teh flowers are beautiful, b ut unlike last year the plants are all stingey and stringy. More food?

Okay, silk, here;'s a fast and furious list of the rest
Several Valencias, for reasons I have already bored everyone to death with, I adore, even though one of them is a bit spindly, only just keeps plugging away.
Three Paroles. Not so good to start off with this year, suddenly coming good
Jardins de bagatelles - I need another one of these so badly
Summer Memories - a so-what rose,purchased to fill out a Treloars order
Ice Girl - ditto above, verbatim. Don't bother with this white one for the vase and scent, go for Pope JP or Margaret Merrill. Or JdB, as above
Sweet Chariot - one plant is a majestic, bloom-covered Fabulous Fat Lady, the other is just hanging on to life. I will take a pic of them side by side at some point. Gertrude Stein and Alice B Toklas

Last edited by betsyw on 9th February 2014, 13:32; edited 1 time in total
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 13:26

Ebb Tide? Are you kidding? Mine produces a little floret of muddy purple pompom flowers from time to time, with no bees or flowers to visit, even though they are over everything else in the garden. I avert my gaze from this ugly fuggly every time I'm near. But with your report, I'll persevere, and hope it comes good.
Your comments on Valencia and Jardin de B make me green with envy. I will be planting a couple of Valencias and can't wait. The Jardins I will have to wait for but can picture them in my mind so clearly. You know my plans there.
BTW, I think you mentioned some time back similar woes that I experienced following wind gusts that almost wiped out Fragrant Cloud, Mr Lincoln and Red Intuition. How are yours going? I lost most major canes and they are slowly recovering but it will take time for them to get their vigour back. Also how is your Daybreaker faring after its setback? Mine seems to be enjoying living in a pot and puts up with me hauling it into the shade when it gets stinking hot. Lots of flowers and new growth.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th February 2014, 13:51

I too am just stunned by Ebb Tide. I have to find out what my friend put in the Ebb Tide pot, silky. She usually just buys Yates potting mix, throws in some extra bits, nothing special. Thius year, the potting mix she used has produced some unbelievably good roses, better than my identical twin plants. The big lush Sweet Chariot is one she potted up this year, too, before deciding it was too pink for her, and deeding it to me.

My new Flagrant Crowds just work and work and work, silky. It's their first year here, and I have to think that they were bs-proofed during their field life at Treloars, beacuse i've had no issues with this new pair at all. My older FCs drop leaves like it's autumn. But those flowers -= oh yes...

The little Daybreaker is pretty good, nowhere near itsoriginal self yet, though.

Most Neurotic Award has to go to Love Potion. I think mine is seriously bi-polar. One minute it's beautifully leafy,perfectly shaped, and lavishly festooned with well-formed, super fragrant blooms (perfume wafts, too!) , the next minute it looks like someone hit it with an electric cattle prod. Leafless chunks, pointy ends sticking out, no flowers, just an ugly wugly. Then 6 weeks later, back to adorable. You can't trust this one...

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 14:13

My disappointment for the season is Munstead Wood. Last year when it was a baby I was in love with it. It churned out its flowers. Now it's a petulant teenager that has a permanent scowl. It's been so hot this summer and I don't think it likes temps above about 30 degrees, if that. Very stingy with its flowers but I've noticed it's bulking up a bit with healthy growth, so the scowl might slide into a shy smile soon.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by martino 9th February 2014, 16:37

thanks for the info silky, really love this joy of life rose ticks all the right boxes and color is amazing dont blame you if you have 3 of them lol, as for jardins de bagatelles first year growing this and breathtaking perfume.

martino

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 17:36

Martino, I haven't yet met anyone who has a bad word to say about Jardins de Bagatelle. I want to eventually plant them around a patio near the back door where I can enjoy the perfume. I hope you get Joy of Life, I think you will love it. It works so hard and rewards you with lots of lovely blooms.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th February 2014, 18:47

silky, I've decided I quite like the cuckoo in the nest, Parkinsons Passion. Okay, it doiesn't look like a classic rose, but it's a bit of voluptuous fun, looks like...
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 19:14

Yes Betsy, I know what you mean and that's why it's still there. Initially I was all for getting rid of it or at least moving it. But I swear it was as if it could read my mind and I could hear its pleas to be spared a sticky end. It just shot up and out, covered in blooms. If you can ignore the ugly garish neon orange stage as the buds open, it's quite a nice little rose with its subdued multishades of cream and pink. And it has lots of flowers. Just about bullet proof and nothing seems to phase it. Bees love it and today I noticed the old flowers had swellings underneath, like future hips, so I've left some to ripen. Maybe it will give me seeds? That would be a novel experience!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th February 2014, 09:08

Re Parky's Pash: silky, do you think it might qualify for the short/fat/overdressed list?

Better opinion of Summer Memories: in fairness, I have to say that this one is faultless in its spotless health and reasonable vigor (mine is in a 2 gal pot, with no love expended on its wellbeing). If you need a white filler, this one could do the trick. For the vase, no, for the garden, yes.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th February 2014, 13:49

Betsy, Parky's Pash (love that name!) is more of a filler in the garden I think. I called it a little rose but it is currently at one and half metres and shooting. Typical flori growth with a couple of longish canes. Small flowers. I wouldn't put in in the short/fat/overdressed category. Absolutely no perfume. Might go with other orangey/pinky roses, which mine doesn't as its in a bright pink bed. Still OK when flowers mellow, which they do at the same time.
Just looked up Summer Memories, looks like a good filler for that billowy splash of white that is useful in the garden.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 10th February 2014, 19:48

Silky and Betsy , you two are so descriptive and eloquent i think that you should be collaborating on a rose review book , your roses look lovely Silky , Martino , i have a Jardin too ,first year , great rose . The roses here have taken a battering esprecially after a very torrid weekend of hot , windy , smoky from near by fires , weather , at the moment i'm too scared to look at not only the roses but other plants as well .  Lost a lovely Crepe Myrtle tree to fierce winds , the branches just snapped off , such a shame ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th February 2014, 22:03

Aw gee thanks Maree. A rose reviewer? That would be pure fun. I'm not in Betsy's league though, she's the clever one. lol
I'm so sorry to hear about your Crepe Myrtle. Was it a young tree? Will it survive do you think? I know they do take hard pruning so maybe there's hope? I have one about 4 years old near the back door and it is such a gorgeous thing. Those long whippy branches are now bending under the weight of bright fuschia pink pannicles. I can see how it could get flattened in an exposed position.
I did the rounds of the garden today and everything seems to have survived, apart from my new michelia hedge. There's not much you can do when the wind is like a furnace and it's hot enough to sizzle bacon. I do hope your garden doesn't have any more casualties.
Maree, I know you have experience growing natives. Can I ask what the secret is to growing croweas? I have lost three young plants, well before this hot weather. Nice healthy green and covered in flowers one day, dead within days. Planted in different spots where other things (erica, correas) are thriving. I'm just curious now, but I won't be replacing them.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 10th February 2014, 22:56

Silky your Crepe Myrtle sounds like ours , long branches with lovely pink flowers , ours was about 7 years old , quite big and tall , the branches just snapped off in the wind , i guess it was just too top heavy , don't know , it was in the front garden along the fence which does get windy , i think its probably past pruning lol .   Croweas haven't ever tried those , i am joining the local native club here and the first meeting is next Tuesday , should be interesting .  Usually with natives you cannot fertilize with anything but natiive fertilizer and only say once a year , Nitrosol for foliar spraying sparingly .  They hate rose food and will curl up their toes and die as i have found out if they come into contact with it , so you have to have a designated native bed , which i have made , only down side is the neighbours rotten cat which is after the birds and i have to keep chasing it out .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th February 2014, 23:08

I'd buy a rose review written by silky. It would not only be ably wrought and immersively come-hither, it would be accurate.

I'd give any rose book by me a very wide berth, unless it was illustrated by Edward Gorey. As Mr Gorey has been dead lo these many years, you'd be left with a slim volume of opinionated tosh and pictures of pot ghettos.

There was a smashingly witty bloke from some unlikely inner-Sydney suburb like Balmain who used to contribute to Roses in Oz. So verbally deft, so hip, so droll and so widely acquainted with roses. Kim-Rupert-Meets-Doug-Anderson (in his prime).Now he had a book in him.

On point: it is a shame about all the weather damage to your gardens, maree and silky and everyone else. Up here, I can't cut the flowers fast enough; what was a promising unfurling bud one day is deep-fried by morning. (Edward Gorey really does need to illustrate my book - my plants look ghoulishly blackened and funereal.)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th February 2014, 23:37

Good luck with your native plants meeting Maree. Maybe you could pass on some good tips. My croweas weren't near any roses so didn't get any fertilizer or manure, which I know they hate. Raised beds, good drainage, no wet feet. If I was a crowea I would have been as pleased as punch. Maybe they are just divas! Have you tried squirting water at the cat? Nice strong narrow stream right in the solar plexus. Or maybe ask the neighbour to put a bell on their cat?

Betsy don't underestimate your wordsmithery! It's not many people who can make me choke as I enjoy a cuppa when I read your descriptions or need a Heimlich manouvere if I happen to be eating something. You are utterly entertaining. Edward Gorey! Heavens to Betsy, he's the visual version of Edgar Allen Poe. But hey! This could start a whole new line of roses....Kiss of Death, Dorian Grey, Black Widow. So many rose books are same old, same old. This would be ....different!
Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th February 2014, 14:00

Silky , squirt the cat , the rotten thing sees me coming and takes off , it knows i hate it , the neighbours, well i don't think that would work ...      Betsy how is your SightSaver going , still as good  and Silky how is Barbara going ?   thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next