Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Spring Roses

+8
The Lazy Rosarian
Ausrose
AutumnDamask
Balinbear
neptune
paulh
SueH
LouiseJB
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Spring Roses Empty Spring Roses

Post by LouiseJB 5th October 2014, 13:23

Hi All,
I have taken a few photos in the last few days of the "early birds" for the season. Still waiting on the majority of them to bloom but there seems to be quite a few buds coming along.

Chlid's Love
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Raspberry Tiger
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Garden Delight
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Eldorado
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Nahema
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hoping everyone has a nice day!
Cheers,
Louise.

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Spring Roses Empty Re: Spring Roses

Post by SueH 5th October 2014, 13:44

They are lovely Louise. I'm green!!! A couple of mine, in fairness, are in bud - just about to open, the rest are in the tiny green bud stage. This is Melbourne though!!
I haven't heard of "Child's Love" before and just love it. I have another (# 3) Grandchild arriving in March and have roses to celebrate my first two! Maybe this rose would be appropriate for the third!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 5th October 2014, 15:54

Thanks Sue. Child's Love is a lovely rose and it's my pick for best starter this season. It starts out a darkish salmon pink and as it ages goes more towards a rose pink. Plus it does have a nice fragrance.

LouiseJB

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 5th October 2014, 23:09

Awesome Louise, nice selection, Would love to hear your critique on Nahema, eg: how old is she, where its planted, how often and how much it blooms etc... Spring Roses 2023066572
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 6th October 2014, 11:59

Hi Paul,
Nahema is in her second year after being planted last year. She is in full sun planted along an old fence. Full sun for me is at least 10-12 hours during the growing season. Growth habitat is strong after producing an abundance of basal breaks in its first season thus not producing lots of flowers during that period. It probably had five flushes in its first growing season. This year though its first flush is starting now with at least 5 buds to a stem but most of these five buds have another secondary bud as well. So lots of flowers are imminent. But it does have one more virtue being its fragrance. To my nose the fragrance is a strong and substantial which is impressive as this time of year I usually have hayfever thus my sense of smell may be a bit impaired.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Louise☺

LouiseJB

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 6th October 2014, 15:36

Thanks for the info Louise. i love it when you have a rose which changes colour - it like getting a freebie! This one will certainly be on my next list! Coming up Roses

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th October 2014, 22:18

SueH wrote:  i love it when you have a rose which changes colour - it like  getting a freebie!  

We are trying to make rainbow roses for the floral art this weekend......not a easy task.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 7th October 2014, 15:44

Are you joking (as usual or..... )!!!?!! If serious, I'd be interested in knowing what you are doing John. Hmmmm Dunno

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th October 2014, 18:52

Rainbow roses...

neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th October 2014, 23:01

Yeah you can buy the seeds for these on ebay. Along with blue ones and black ones.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th October 2014, 23:30

20:30:15
Balinbear wrote:Yeah you can buy the seeds for these on ebay. Along with blue ones and black ones.

Gary...are you talking about the rainbow roses????
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 8th October 2014, 00:30

LouiseJB wrote:Hi Paul,
Nahema is in her second year after being planted last year. She is in full sun planted along an old fence. Full sun for me is at least 10-12 hours during the growing season. Growth habitat is strong after producing an abundance of basal breaks in its first season thus not producing lots of flowers during that period. It probably had five flushes in its first growing season. This year though its first flush is starting now with at least 5 buds to a stem but most of these five buds have another secondary bud as well. So lots of flowers are imminent. But it does have one more virtue being its fragrance. To my nose the fragrance is a strong and substantial which is impressive as this time of year I usually have hayfever thus my sense of smell may be a bit impaired.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Louise☺

Ta for that Louise, when i get time I'll post a couple of pics of my Nahema for your critique. Thanks
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 8th October 2014, 07:17

neptune wrote:20:30:15
Balinbear wrote:Yeah you can buy the seeds for these on ebay. Along with blue ones and black ones.

Gary...are you talking about the rainbow roses????

Yeah, I've seen those.
The sellers probably think they are safe from bad feedback because of the length of time it takes for a rose to bloom after growing from seed!
I can't believe people would be that stupid but I'm surprised every day.... Razz
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 8th October 2014, 07:54

I have found my bushes of Rainbow Rose to be very susceptible to powdery mildew.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th October 2014, 12:26

Ok....let me clarify something on these rainbow roses.......firstly they are not grown....they are made...... they start off as white roses, then the cane at the bottom is cut lengthways into 2, 4, or 6 sections and placed into coloring........the rose sucks up the coloring and changes the petal color.......the downside is that the bloom doesn't last long....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 8th October 2014, 14:14

John you must do it differently to us on the darkside as we grow them in pots.

Champion Multicoloured Exhibition  Bloom - NSW BS Rose Show 2013

Champion Multicoloured Vase of Roses - NSW BS Rose Show 2013

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 8th October 2014, 19:12

neptune wrote:Ok....let me clarify something on these rainbow roses.......firstly they are not grown....they are made...... they start off as white roses, then the cane at the bottom is cut lengthways into 2, 4, or 6 sections and placed into coloring........the rose sucks up the coloring and changes the petal color.......the downside is that the bloom doesn't last long....
The ones on eBay are seeds tho - they *grow* like that.... Brainwash
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th October 2014, 19:48

Doug, are you thinking of a cameleon rose.....because you can't grow a rose with blue petals......they are artificially infused ie: rainbow roses......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 9th October 2014, 02:04

Louise, as promised, a couple of Pics of my Nahema, I must say this season it has more buds than last year, where I only had about 5 flowers.
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 9th October 2014, 13:36

AutumnDamask wrote:
neptune wrote:Ok....let me clarify something on these rainbow roses.......firstly they are not grown....they are made...... they start off as white roses, then the cane at the bottom is cut lengthways into 2, 4, or 6 sections and placed into coloring........the rose sucks up the coloring and changes the petal color.......the downside is that the bloom doesn't last long....

I think you are on to something there Autumn!!LOL

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th October 2014, 18:38

SueH wrote:
AutumnDamask wrote:

I think you are on to something there Autumn!!LOL

Don't forget rosarians have yet to grow roses with blue petals......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 9th October 2014, 23:04

Lovely Paul. I'll have to post some pictures of the entire plant.
Cheers,
Louise☺

LouiseJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 10th October 2014, 18:01

My Rainbow Rose only has buds at this stage.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 10th October 2014, 18:25

Doug, I am a bit confused on this growing of rainbow roses......everywhere I have google it seems to say about the seven colors and these are produced by the special Chinese seeds.....wikki says that the roses are artificially infused , which is the way I do it. The reason I am confused is that all the images I have seen of these roses have blue petals and my understanding is that the boffins have not yet been able to grow roses with blue petals. Any thoughts here to help me out.....

Rainbow Roses were designed and developed by Peter van de Werken. Peter, married and father of a daughter and two sons, graduated in 1992 at the Agricultural College in Den Bosch. During his studies he specialized in biology, physics and chemistry. In 1993 Peter started in a private nursery in Nederhemert, a picturesque village in the river- area.

One of his hobbies is coloring flowers with natural dyes. His scientific background combined with this hobby and work resulted in a great Rainbow Rose. He wanted to share this beautiful rose with the world and he managed to set up production.

"It is wonderful to experience that the Rainbow Rose is rapidly dispersed throug the world. What touches me most is the Rainbow Rose means for many people something special, the rose adds something to their lives. Particular stories, special events, emotional situations. The Rainbow Rose gives the power to bring perspective, to process or share. " Peter van de Werke For international order please visit his website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rainbow roses are made by inserting dye into the stem of the roses. The dyes are produced from natural plant extracts. The dye is absorbed by the petals of the flower as they grow. There a special process then controls how much color reaches each petal. This process takes 12 and 24 hours, but how the different petal turn out different color is the secret of Peter Van Werken. Rainbow roses are difficult to make because its need a scientific engineering.Peter has an international patent for his creation.

Peter's website in Holland [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BUYER BEWARE: Rainbow roses are only available as a cut flower, and cannot be purchased as a rose bush or as seeds. Beware of fraudulent advertisements on E-Bay and Amazon offering Rainbow Rose Seeds or Rainbow Rose Bushes they are fraud and not possible since the only way to achieve rainbow roses is by a patented coloring process that is administered to a white rose only after the rose has grown and cannot be achieved in bush or seed form. Rainbow Rose Seeds and Rainbow Rose Bushes are a SCAM and you will just waste your money.

Last edited by neptune on 11th October 2014, 01:20; edited 1 time in total
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 10th October 2014, 23:22

Some time ago I saw a web page that gave instructions on what to do to the flower stem, then place the stem into a jar with some sought of dye, the flower sucked up the dye which changed the colour of the flower.
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next