Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Spring Flowering Roses

4 posters

Go down

Spring Flowering Roses Empty Spring Flowering Roses

Post by Balinbear 9th November 2015, 22:43

A couple (maybe a few) years back someone (I think it was Simon) posed the question whether you would buy a spring flowering rose.

Below are a few of the reasons why we did (The flowering times are for here in SE Queensland and vary depending on the weather and whether we received rain in August):

Mrs Alice Garner. Great Rambler/Pillar Rose. Flowers Late September-Mid November.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Souv de Mme Leonie Vernott. Climbing Tea that does have flowers most of the year but has a spring flush like no other. Flowers form mid-August to Late October

"Parkes Yellow Not" Another climbing Tea that flowers in Spring Only. This one's true identity is not know but ours has climbed up a tree to be a least 8 metres off the ground. Flowers heavily from late August to mid October though this year it is still flowering.

Fortune's Double Yellow. Vicious so far s thorns go. Will tear you apart if you give it a chance. One of the first to flower at our place. Usually only has a single flush from late August to early October but this year we are being treated with a second flush.

Mme Claire Jaquier  Yellow Noisette that makes you want to stay in the garden. Its perfume spreads out though the garden. It flowers form early September through to late November.

And finally Albertine. Who could live without at least one. Prolific flowerer and magnificent perfume. Can get quite large but gets covered in flowers from early-mid-October to mid to late November.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Spring Flowering Roses Empty Re: Spring Flowering Roses

Post by neptune 10th November 2015, 01:08

very nice , Gary.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2015, 06:44

They are great looking plants Gary, what can you tell me about "Mme Claire Jaquier  Yellow Noisette " in my drier climate, do you think I "might" get a longer flowering period.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 10th November 2015, 13:02

Balinbear wrote:A couple (maybe a few) years back someone (I think it was Simon) posed the question whether you would buy a spring flowering rose.

Below are a few of the reasons why we did (The flowering times are for here in SE Queensland and vary depending on the weather and whether we received rain in August):

Mrs Alice Garner. Great Rambler/Pillar Rose. Flowers Late September-Mid November.

Souv de Mme Leonie Vernott. Climbing Tea that does have flowers most of the year but has a spring flush like no other. Flowers form mid-August to Late October

"Parkes Yellow Not" Another climbing Tea that flowers in Spring Only. This one's true identity is not know but ours has climbed up a tree to be a least 8 metres off the ground. Flowers heavily from late August to mid October though this year it is still flowering.

Fortune's Double Yellow. Vicious so far s thorns go. Will tear you apart if you give it a chance. One of the first to flower at our place. Usually only has a single flush from late August to early October but this year we are being treated with a second flush.

Mme Claire Jaquier  Yellow Noisette that makes you want to stay in the garden. Its perfume spreads out though the garden. It flowers form early September through to late November.

And finally Albertine. Who could live without at least one. Prolific flowerer and magnificent perfume. Can get quite large but gets covered in flowers from early-mid-October to mid to late November.

Beautiful Very Happy

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 10th November 2015, 13:48

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:They are great looking plants Gary, what can you tell me about "Mme Claire Jaquier  Yellow Noisette " in my drier climate, do you think I "might" get a longer flowering period.

David

Have you received much of the rain that is showing up on the weather reports lately?

Not sure about the rose in a drier climate but I did discuss the rose last year with a lady from the Darling Downs which is a lot drier than our place and she said she gets a flush in Autumn plus spot flowers throughout summer whereas we only get the spring flush. HMF says that there can be an occasional repeat later in the season.

It is a great rose just wish we had not planted it where we did. It blocks a pathway and makes it hard to mow. We now have another that is shooting up madly and eventually I will receive Lee's permission to prune the current on back a bit.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2015, 16:09

Gary, we received 64mm for the total of October as for November we so far have 104mm, 61mm of that in less than two hours. We are "supposed" to get some more on Thur/Fri, somewhere between 10 to 20mm.
Are your  Claire Jaquier  grafted Gary or cutting grown ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 10th November 2015, 16:32

Sounds like you have had more than us. We have had sufficient to keep the soil wet and the tank filled but no real runoff into the dam.

Our plants are cutting grown. We purchased them from Mistydowns.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down