Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses new to my garden this spring

+3
AutumnDamask
silkyfizz
hariet~rose
7 posters

Go down

Roses new to my garden this spring Empty Roses new to my garden this spring

Post by hariet~rose 7th December 2013, 12:43

Hello Rosebuds, here are a couple of new roses to our garden, they have been around in the industry for awhile but new to me..

below
The RSL rose - just love the colour [seed parent:Madame A. Meilland × Yakimour X pollen parent: Épidor ® (hybrid tea, Delbard 1981)Bred by Meilland International (France, 2010)]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

below
Olde Fragrance - terrific perfume - reminiscent of Zéphirine Drouhin and Mme Isaac Pereire [seedling x seedling; Bred by Hans Jürgen Evers (Germany, 1986).]

below
Wild Rover - very eye catching [Spice of Life × Rhapsody in Blue ™; Bred by Colin Dickson (United Kingdom, 2007).]

below
Violette - I put this in after reading a thread on our discussion board. I find it to be a huge improvement over its mother Veilchenblau [seedling of Veilchenblau (Rambler, Schmidt, 1909) Bred by Eugène Turbat & Compagnie (France, 1921)]

hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Roses new to my garden this spring Empty Re: Roses new to my garden this spring

Post by silkyfizz 7th December 2013, 13:11

Great pix there Harriet. You are really tempting me with Olde Fragrance.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 7th December 2013, 13:36

Yes Olde Fragrance really surprised me with the perfume.. this summer will be the test on flower production and I might have put it in the wrong place as it is hard to get to to smell..I should have thought about that a bit more carefully Roses new to my garden this spring 3528955085
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th December 2013, 16:18

oooo.... Violette is on my list of "Potential Ramblers". Does it have thorns?? ie. is it suitable for a high traffic area with the kiddies?

ETA: and do the bees like it??
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 7th December 2013, 16:58

no thorns and it is obviously a vigorous type of plant.  I have been thinking of putting cuttings of it in a couple of other sections. You can see how I have it up against this wire fence. All of that growth is since spring. Haven't seen any bees on it but then the bees are busy in the front yard where there are more flowers. This picture was taken behind my clothes line and you can The Childrens' Rose as well (plus some lavender and an AWOL horse radish). Down from this plant i have Adélaide d'Orléans and i wouldn't recommend it if you need a thornless plant. It is pretty vicious but can show off its flowers out of harms way in this bed

hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th December 2013, 17:16

Yeah, I have Adelaide d'Orleans and it wouldn't be suitable for this new spot..!
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th December 2013, 18:49

Between you and maree, hariet, I think that silky and I are justifying all the reasons we should get Olde Fragrance, despite its insane (for us) height. Maybe I could dig a ditch...

I also seriously lust after your horseradish. Where did you get a starter plant/tuber/corm/piece/whatever? Real horseradish is impossible to find in these parts, and I have to make do with wasabi. Not the same aroma.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 7th December 2013, 19:30

oh, does olde fragrance get really tall? if so, bugger, as i really have put it in the wrong spot..i also have it next to the mayor of casterbridge and it looks ok at the moment but suspect the mayor will fade if this olde fragrance takes off

The origins of the horseradish are lost in the recesses of my foggy mind..along with where i have placed my green watering can... i must say that it is really tough (the horseradish that is, the watering can has probably rusted).. I am happy to send you a starter plant. chrissie present... offline send me your postal address, i see that you are just down the hill from me
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 7th December 2013, 20:32

You are a kind person Harriet to offer Betsy some horseradish. Brings back childhood memories of watching my parents prepare the horseradish. It made my eyes water from across the kitchen!
" Maybe I could dig a ditch..." God Betsy you are hilarious!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 7th December 2013, 22:07

Ahh Olde Fragrance would be worth digging the ditch for Betsy , one of the first roses i planted , its on my " Holy Grail of roses list " .... you got any gum boots Betsy ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 7th December 2013, 22:16

Rosebuds, you gotta help me out here.. I am not sure what the ditch metaphor is about  umm, i thought you meant  that it grows really tall.. but are you saying it is a lemon and needs to be buried? Idea
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 7th December 2013, 22:26

Lol ha ha , lol ha ha Hariet , Olde Fragrance is a beautiful , fragrant, healthy but can grow tall rose , Betsy likes to grow roses in pots , and has a self confessed aversion to digging , pardon me if i'm wrong Betsy lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 8th December 2013, 00:53

nice ones "hariet~rose".... How do you fine the RSL, I would be interested in your comments to see if it is in comparison to my RSL Roses new to my garden this spring 2023066572 
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th December 2013, 06:33

hariet~rose wrote:Rosebuds, you gotta help me out here.. I am not sure what the ditch metaphor is about  umm, i thought you meant  that it grows really tall.. but are you saying it is a lemon and needs to be buried? Idea
I think she means to keep it lower, dig a "ditch" so it stays at the height of her other roses, that is my guess.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 8th December 2013, 07:06

paulh wrote:nice ones "hariet~rose".... How do you fine the RSL, I would be interested in your comments to see if it is in comparison to my RSL Roses new to my garden this spring 2023066572 
hi there, well so far i am impressed with RSL, although I have only had it for 3-4 wks. It is in a large pot in a courtyard that bakes. It gets a bucket of water every second day. The perfume is not there for me, but eldest daughter, who must be obeyed, insists that it does have a nice perfume. I very much like the striking colour contrast between the back and front of the petals. How long have you had your RSL rose Paul and what do you think of it?
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th December 2013, 09:46

Hariet, I bow down when you walk by. I will ecstatically take up your generous offer of horseradish. I am a desperate woman, and accepting charity handouts is not beneath me when it comes to h'radish.

Except let's make this a two-way Christmas street. I have a credit at Treolars that I wish you to use , so please choose a rose from the Treloars website, any rose at all, for bareroot delivery in May. Will advise details in a PM.

Unless I get a Daimler or a chateau on the Loire for Christmas, that horseradish will be El Gifto Supremo.

And roseman has it right about the ditch thing ;-)))))
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 8th December 2013, 10:25

I checked the horseradish out this morning and they are looking fabulous.. thriving on neglect and grey water from my washing machine.. Arrw that it really nice betsy for the kind swap-a-roo-so gesture but its just a horseradish and it is not problem (and not equivalent to a rose), it is such a lot of fun just matching a lonely plant up with a devotee...even if that devotee is a herbivore and is going to eat the said root and its offspring in time Bad  [what foods do you have it with btw? roast lamb?]
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th December 2013, 18:49

Let me be perfectly clear, hariet-rose: Horseradish is at the top of my wish list; no rose even comes close right now. I cannot believe my luck here.

If you don't accept my rose offering, I will bring an HT to Armidale and sacrifice it in your driveway.

I will PM you tonight with details, but don't even think about sending anything before Christmas hols are done; you must have a heap on your plate with holidays and family. You may, however, wish to start browsing the Treloars cattle dog.

Horseradish uses: h/r sauce for smoked salmon and smoked trout, dill and horseradish mayonnaise potato salad, h/r sauce with roast beef, lotsa things. And the only stuff available here is horrid so-called horseradish cream on the condiment shelves, which is made from turnips and mustard, and an eyedropper of horseradish oil. Vile. .
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 8th December 2013, 18:57

Okay. that sounds like a dig up job after Christmas then. And thank you for the cattle dog opportunity. When I lived in South Australia you could get a local horseradish product called Newmans...(many years ago though, when i was a student check out chick)... Did you want some golden oregano while i am at it.. ( if i recall you were trying to source some (but not sauce, although I s'pose you could Hmmmm ).
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 9th December 2013, 00:22

hariet~rose wrote:
paulh wrote:nice ones "hariet~rose".... How do you fine the RSL, I would be interested in your comments to see if it is in comparison to my RSL Roses new to my garden this spring 2023066572 
hi there, well so far i am impressed with RSL, although I have only had it for 3-4 wks. It is in a large pot in a courtyard that bakes. It gets a bucket of water every second day.  The perfume is not there for me, but eldest daughter, who must be obeyed, insists that it does have a nice perfume. I very much like the striking colour contrast between the back and front of the petals. How long have you had your RSL rose Paul and what do you think of it?  
Thanks hariet, I've had the RSL for 12 months, i found it to be quite small, however this spring it's getting a bit more height. Absolutely no fragrance, flowers are a little on the small size. I'm not quite sure if it likes being in a pot though
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th December 2013, 22:12

Choke , splatt , cough , sacrifice a rose lol ha ha , accept the offer Harriet-Rose , unless of course its a darned Iceberg ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down