Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

"Pink Angel" bred by Mrs M Parkes 1974

+3
Admin
The Lazy Rosarian
Ozeboy
7 posters

Go down

"Pink Angel"  bred by  Mrs M Parkes 1974 Empty "Pink Angel" bred by Mrs M Parkes 1974

Post by Ozeboy 9th March 2010, 07:00

Can anyone help with budwood from this rose? Would very much like to hear from you

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

"Pink Angel"  bred by  Mrs M Parkes 1974 Empty Re: "Pink Angel" bred by Mrs M Parkes 1974

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th March 2010, 06:26

I can't help Bruce, but could you give some history about the rose.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

"Pink Angel"  bred by  Mrs M Parkes 1974 Empty Re: "Pink Angel" bred by Mrs M Parkes 1974

Post by Admin 10th March 2010, 16:39

Bruce.. it says this on HMF, by Patricia Routley:

A telephone call to Mrs. Marquerite Parkes today revealed that 'Pink Angel' "is still in the Hunter Valley (NSW)". Mistydowns got the rose from Mrs. Parkes years ago and may still have it, although it is not listed in their 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2002 catalogues.
Mrs. Parkes revealed that 'Pink Angel' and 'Jenny Brown' were sister roses from the same pod. I have seen 'Jenny Brown' and it was an exquisite rose.

Looks like one might be able to contact Mrs Parkes herself to see if budwood could be obtained. Would you like me to contact Patricia for you and ask for some contact details?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th March 2010, 11:21

Hi David, This rose ( Pink Angel) and another called ' Starcent ' together with ' Jenny Brown ' are roses bred by Mrs Parkes of Dural NSW around the late 1970's . I would like to have the three of these to make the set I am sick and tired of Aussies being lost so am trying to do something to preserve them.

I am now looking for anyone with ' Starcent ' for I have located ' Pink Angel'

Simon, thanks for suggesting Mrs Routley though since starting this rescue mission have been Emailing Mrs Routley who has been very helpful and generous with her time. I will contact her direct if you don't mind as I have another matter to seek her opinion on.

ONCE AGAIN HAS ANYONE GROWN OR KNOW WHERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO
GET ' STARCENT ' BUDWOOD.
HMF lists it as lost, what a shame though I think it is growing out there some where.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 11th March 2010, 18:10

Good Luck Bruce! Thumbsup

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th March 2010, 06:33

Just a thought on your search, do you know if Mrs Parkes, have any descendants that may have the rose their mother bred.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda 7th May 2011, 16:31

Hello - Mrs Parkes is my mother and she still has a beautiful garden - she turns 90 in July.

She has Sharon Louise , Jenny Brown , Lisa Colfax , Pink Angel, and William's Rose.

Mum says Mrs Rumsey had Starscent (in the 1970s I think) - mum lost her plant when she moved house, also in the 1970s. About this time she concentrated on Australian natives rather than roses.

I have been in contact with a couple of rosarians and I am so happy with the assistance they have provided and their interest and determination not lose Australian bred roses.

I grew up dreaming of living in a house without a garden!!! As an adult I have always loved my mother's gardens. Funny how things work out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (this is a picture of Pink Angel which our family calls Emma's Rose after mum's great granddaughter who was stillborn)

Lynda

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th May 2011, 07:06

Thanks from me, David, for showing what a fantastic looking rose 'Pink Angel' is.
Lynda, would you have pictures of the other four roses that your Mum still has. I am sure the members would love to see them.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda 8th May 2011, 18:08

Photo of Pink Angel is one my husband took of ours which is struggling in a black ceramic pot and horrifies mum each time she comes to visit. Apparently the photo is not a good one!
October will be a good time to get photos. Mum has lots of photos however would need to scan them - will see what I can do - she lives about 1.5 hours from me and I still work - so time poor like most of us.
Mum's roses are full of budwood at the moment and hope to be getting some to Glenorie roses - in a couple of weeks. Had a lovely time with her today she has planted blue and yellow pansies backed by daffodils and blue iris.

Lynda

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th March 2012, 13:12

Hi Lydia

I first saw Pink Angel when a unit of it was judged Grand Champion of the Hunter Valley Regional Show by my wife Glynis in 2010. After the show I did put out a press release on the subject and as a result there was an article in one of the local papers of the area in which your mum lives. During 2011 Glynis and I visited your mum to pass on our congratulations. I spoke to her only on Monday and she told me she is in fine fettle. I asked her who William's Rose was named after and she told me both your late father and brother. I did get some budwood of Pink Angel from one of the rosarians that belongs to Hunter Valley Regional Rose Society last year but unfortunately of the ten roses budded not one took which was more than likely due to the big wet we were experiencing at the time. As luck has it I had a piece of bud wood left over from the budding and it has struck as a cutting. I did try to contact Glenorie Nursery but couldn't find a phone number or address. If you have a contact number it would be much appreciated. I do have a good photo of Pink Angel and I have put it on Help Me Find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] there is also a picture of you mum in her garden on Help Me Find.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Ausrose on 19th April 2013, 02:02; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 7th March 2012, 13:19

Bruce (Ozboy} is Glenorie Nursery.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th March 2012, 13:34

Hi Carole
Did you mean Ozeboy?

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 7th March 2012, 13:43

Yep.
I Pm ed him to check the forum to see your post but you can pm him or email him by looking at his last post at the contact details.
I hope this helps .
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th March 2012, 13:50

Hi Carole
Thank you. I will email him.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 7th March 2012, 13:54

Glad to be of help.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down