Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My friend called this rose "Lady Jane"

2 posters

Go down

My friend called this rose "Lady Jane" Empty My friend called this rose "Lady Jane"

Post by rosemeadow 25th February 2009, 12:31

This rose belonged to my late gardening friend. It had come down to her from her husband's grandmother, who had been called Jane. I propagated it from cuttings about 5 years ago, very easily. But I lost my ones of it when I moved one on my property to my new garden, and the other few were in the old garden where I negleted them for water while looking after my new garden. The other ones my friend had and one went to Sydney with her son.
So I went to get new cuttings once I started getting some sucess with my Summer cuttings, because I didn't get around to it in Winter. IT has taken me this many years to think to ask her husband for some more cuttings.
The cuttings are in a bottle in a shade house so I hope I have success with it striking again, otherwise I can dig up a rooted bit of it from the mother bush in Winter. I took some photographs of a few blooms I brought home of it. It was blooming some then and my friend's husband said it blooms all the time. So its not a gallica. I think it might be a Portland or Hybred Perpetual but I surpose it could be anything. The blooms do seem to nestle among the top leaves. I should of thought to take my camera with me to get a photo of the bush, but I didn't. I will go back one day soon. The bush is a upward growing bush, about as tall as a person and healthy looking. The husband said when they got it from their family's old home it had been nearly dead, but it looks good now. He said it would be around a hundred years old. I look forward to going back in Spring to get a photo of it in full bloom.
I thought the blooms I brought home would have died but they laste for ages and the lovely frangrance lasted for ever too. Here are the photos.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I think the white in the fully open bloom might help to identify it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

My friend called this rose "Lady Jane" Empty Re: My friend called this rose "Lady Jane"

Post by Guest 26th February 2009, 13:19

Nice hips there

Back to top Go down

My friend called this rose "Lady Jane" Empty Re: My friend called this rose "Lady Jane"

Post by rosemeadow 26th February 2009, 13:39

I threw the hips away and when I was posting these photographs I thought I should have kept them and got the seeds to grow. Anyway when I get this rose to grow here I will fertilize it with another old rose.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th February 2009, 13:41

does it have a perfume ??, is is a sweet pink shade Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 26th February 2009, 22:11

I notice that the leaves are quite roundish. I have not seen that before. maybe it could help identify it.
I think your first photo is very well done, sharp and showing the colour very clearly.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 27th February 2009, 14:42

I have been looking up what I can about Rose Edward as that is what Alee suggested what it could be. There wasn't a lot of photos of it on Helpmefind. Another photo I saw of it in a American catalogue site didn't look like it at all.
Here is a discribtion I found and mentions the rounded leaves and the sweet smell it has.

"One Monsieur Edouard Perichon found, when planting one of these hedges, a plant which appeared to be a hybrid of the two, and which was subsequently called, after him, 'Rose Edouard'. Here is a description of 'Rose Edouard' written in 1828, translated from Prevost fils' French: "This was the first one brought to France, and can be considered the Type of the species. Canes long and divergent, armed with much-hooked thorns, which are glandular at their base. Leaflets oval, large, cordiform at their base. Ovary oboid-oblong, glabrous and glaucous at the tip. Corolla medium-sized, hypocrateriform [i.e., "like an antique cup"], double or lightly double, intense and bright deep pink."

Footnote- This came from the Paul Barden site, in a article written by Brent C. Dickerson. This is the first time I have taken a quote from elsewhere, I didn't know how to. First learning how to copy photos from Photo Bucket and now this. Feels good !
I don't know what a lot of that means above, but some things ring true. What do you all think from looking at my photos. Though I need to see more photos of the whole bush of Rose Edward and blooms at different stages. Also to ask some knoledgeable rose identifiers. And go up and see the one I have in my garden and compare the growth.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down