Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered...

+2
rosemeadow
Admin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered... Empty The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered...

Post by Guest 14th January 2010, 15:24

This seedling has had buds before but something always destroyed them (insects, poultry, a dog's wagging tail LOL).

Anyway, here is "Possibly Maybe" as she unfurls (the rose on the left is the seedling I have shown before):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered... Empty Re: The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered...

Post by Admin 14th January 2010, 17:18

That's a beautiful soft colour... I think P'geno is an excellent choice for breeding some wonderfully subtle stripes in a very wide range of colours. I used 'Honorine de Brabant' today for the same reason. This one has a lovely shape Damo.. more petals than the other one too I reckon Thumbsup

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered... Empty Re: The 2nd OP "Papageno" seedling from 2008 has finally flowered...

Post by Admin 14th January 2010, 17:21

You know what you should do now... you should pick the next few flowers and extract pollen from it and put it on 'Immensee' to go for some more sexy striped ground covers. You could do the same with P'geno but it would be much more satisfying I reckon to do it with your own seedling.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th January 2010, 18:13

G'day Simon. Smile Thanks for your comments...much appreciated!

The colour of this seedling reminds me of "Harmonie" (a relo of "Freude" through "Fragrant Cloud" - of course - so not a surprise!!!). This seedling has much better substance than the first & I am hoping it has some/lots of fragrance.

My "Immensee" is done for the season but next season I will do as you suggest and put every striped rose I have on it.

I am a bit hesitant to use "Papageno" as the seed parent in my crosses because, if the seed parent gives the plant, "Papageno" is not the type I am after. Too rangey/ rough looking (? LOL) & too much BS. I have used its pollen on "Grimaldi", "Escapade", "Wild Rover", "Palace Cargasone", "New Dawn", "Flower Carpet Amber" & "Afternoon Delight" though. I think I view "Papageno" the same way you view "Julia's Rose"...I'm not convinced! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th January 2010, 18:16

Oh & "Honorine de Brabant" is beautiful! I hope your cross sticks & something great comes of it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th January 2010, 21:50

What about your "Temple Bells"... it should still be flowering Idea

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th January 2010, 21:57

OMG genius & thanks for the reminder Simon...it is covered in buds atm that will be ready at the right time! We're not worthy Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th January 2010, 23:18

That bud next to the one you've shown above should be ready in a day or two to harvest pollen from too Thumbsup

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th January 2010, 23:21

Such a beautifully coloured bud, Damo !
Please show us more photos of it as it opens.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th January 2010, 01:51

Compared to the other lighter built seedling, this one takes a long time to open. I had the camera ready all day yesterday but it changed very little. I am wanting to get my nose into it!!!

Simon, how did you go with your "Papageno" seedlings? I am especially interested to know how that really nice one (with no stripes) is doing!

Rosemeadow, hello Wave , I will try & post a pic of the open bloom sometime soon (I am having trouble getting the photos from my camera to my computer atm). Hopefully too, one or more of the 28 billion grasshoppers that are here of late don't chew it before I get a good pic...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th January 2010, 12:03

None of my 'Papageno' seedlings have much perfume at all... seems to be a standard fault (IMO).

My seedlings have been potted separately and I'm trying to get them established in their new homes. A few of them have bloomed again already (one is a nice informal red... kind of blousy) but I have been too busy here to think about taking photos... deck is finished and it's my eldest daughter's 13th birthday today (I am officially old now that I have a teenage daughter Shocked ). One seedling is much bigger and stronger than the rest. It's the really double red with white reverse one that I shouwed earlier. They all get mildew though... will watch them because a lot of seedlings will outgrow their sensitivity to mildew... especially when in the ground and growing strongly.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th January 2010, 18:52

I think you are right about the perfume deal Simon, this newie has little to speak of unfortunately & neither did the first!

Glad to know you still have your seedlings & that some show promise...they are very addictive these rose seedlings. I am in awe of their progress...

Wow 13 hey? Lucky you are raising your own roses...you still have a few years yet to create a really thorny one to put under windows & around your entire property to keep the boys out! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th January 2010, 18:54

Oh & HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter!!! flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th January 2010, 19:17

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th January 2010, 23:20

you still have a few years yet to create a really thorny one to put under windows & around your entire property to keep the boys out! LOL

Nah... I'm a high school teacher and know all of them... they know if I catch them they won't make it out alive LOL Stunned (living a long way out of town also helps LOL)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th January 2010, 23:27

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th January 2010, 07:11

Hello, old fella roflmao I hope your daughter's birthday went well (I forgot her name) sorry, as you would know about boy's and the way their mind works if they want to talk/see her they will find a way, the other alternative is place an add or post a sign on the front gate saying "shot gun at hand". Is she good looking like her mother Alicia Roses
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th January 2010, 11:51

My big black dog will take care of any persistant triers Thumbsup And yes... she's managed to avoid the ugly stick pretty well Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 17th January 2010, 17:38

LOL Simon, once you've got the R bracteata hedge around the property you could celebrate you daughter's birthday by planting a rose each year.

With a bit of help from Botanicas Roses, here's a suggested list:
14 Great Maiden's Blush
15 Boy's Brigade
16 First Love
17 First Kiss
18 Passion
19 Lover's Meeting
20 Wedding Day

Good luck, and give her my very best wishes for many happy and rosy years ahead!

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th January 2010, 22:43

Isn't there a rose called 'Mean old bastard Father'??? I should get lots of this pne and plant it right around the fenceline Twisted Evil

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th January 2010, 06:25

Dave, love the line you have taken,I have not looked at Botanica as yet. For 21st could something along the line of "The Children's Rose" as I don't think there is one called "Grandpa Simon" or is there one called "first grandchild " lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 00:35

Update: The blooms on this seedling age so badly (very ugly) that my computer won't even accept a pic of it from my camera! Bwahaha...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 03:25

Meanwhile, back to the first seedling...

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 30th January 2010, 03:34

this one looks nice but we want to see also the ugly one affraid

we will be tough

chilled regards
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 03:39

LOL And I want to show the ugly one Bemo! Laughing

For now just imagine a baboon's butt dragged across a rough rock then seen through thin white cloth covered in dust! Get the picture? pale

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next