Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume

+9
The Lazy Rosarian
finbarr
maree
Ozeboy
Carole
rosegen X
neptune
The Estate
betsyw
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume - Page 2 Empty Re: Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume

Post by neptune 1st June 2012, 12:18

betsyw wrote:
Sorry for exceeding bandwidth and patience. The End.

Its ok.....we took out an extra loan to pay for the extra bandwidth....... Wink
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume - Page 2 Empty Re: Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st June 2012, 17:23

Who payed lol! roflmao Mushroom
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 1st June 2012, 18:12

maree, City of Newcastle is a fabulous ht. fragrance is debatable though. best reds for fragrance in our portfolio would be Firefighter and Taboo. possibly forum members are unaware that the fragrance gene/genes carry susceptibility to common rosa diseases.

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 1st June 2012, 18:27

roseman wrote:Who payed lol! roflmao Mushroom

I'm must be such a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]....I've been had again......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 1st June 2012, 18:34

Thanks finbarr, if a rose is pink, has no fragrance and is covered in vicious thorns there is a big chance it will be bullet proof. I'm breeding from 'Carefree Beauty' and 'Carefree Wonder' , both fit the above description.

Didn't know you into roses just thought you steered the Swanes ship.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 1st June 2012, 19:39

Just a belated wee aside here, I have Love Potion, definitely a lovely fragrance, agree she is not as tough as she could be, however she DID survive full immersion without a snorkle during the flood so she is no cissy!
Gets a bit lost with all the larger bushes so I may have to move her, but up here she is a good little doer!
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st June 2012, 22:16

Mmmmnnnn thanks Finbarr , i do have Firefighter , got it from you guys at Swanes , mail order , nice rose . Well i guess that rules City of Newcastle out cause my roses have to be beautifully perfumed or out they come . I have sort of noticed that the perfumed roses are rather tricky , i have Papa Meillaand and Oklahoma , they are prone to dieback and Papa doesn't flower all that much , they are beautiful roses , but skating on thin ice ..... Thanks so much for your help , might have to try Taboo...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 1st June 2012, 23:54

knowledge aids the heading. a good horti loves to learn

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 2nd June 2012, 00:23

finbarr wrote:knowledge aids the heading. a good horti loves to learn

and so dos a good cultivar
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 2nd June 2012, 08:07

Thank you for that vote for LP, Deb, and your excellent notes on her.. She's on the list, and is a set-in-stone order. I'm really curious about her, and need to scratch 'n' sniff for myself. She'll live in a pot, so no probs with schoolyard bullies ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd June 2012, 09:02

Thats why i love gardening Finbarr , its a never ending source of information and constant learning , i'm trying to fit all different types of plants on my suburban block , and my beautiful roses are definately one of my loves in the garden ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 2nd June 2012, 14:50

Sorry betsy , gardening , let alone roses have been off the radar for a while.
Someone mentioned "The Children's Rose". Certainly fits the fat , over dressed and doused in perfume part of the request[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
but short ?
Nuh-uh.
Using my son as a yardstick [at 1285mm] he is standing under my Children's Rose bush that grows in the garden outside my kitchen window. [apologies in advanced for a not very good photo - it was a bit rushed]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Radox Bouquet or The Countryman would do okay.
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd June 2012, 20:35

Wow Ozrose , my Childrens Rose never grew that big , but then it was a standard , what you been feeding that rose on lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 2nd June 2012, 23:49

A standard ? Shocked Glory be. I can't even begin to imagine it grown as a standard lol.
It's winding down now because of the cold but at the peak of the season you can cut a dozen or more flowers at any one time that have stems 2' long.
Easily makes it into my TOP 10 Must Have Roses.
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 3rd June 2012, 08:28

Who needs a standard shank? Jeez, that CR/Fred Mistral IS a tree.

Every few years or so I have a senior moment and put this one on the buy list. Then I am reminded why he went off the list before. Hope you will favour us with some pix in bloom next Spring, OzRose. (Gorgeous Child makes an adorable garden ornament, btw. For sale?)

Any love out there for another, more restrained Frenchman, Yves Piaget (Queen Adelaide)?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 3rd June 2012, 09:04

OzRose, Where are all the weeds? I'm looking at growing roses like citrus farmers did around Gosford for many years. There wasn't a blade of grass or weed to be found because they ran chooks or geese in with the trees. The trees were lightly fertilised regularly and very little bought infertiliser was used. Perhaps you can remember the prolific bearing lemon tree's growing in most chook yards situated behind suburban homes.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 4th June 2012, 04:10

betsyw wrote:Who needs a standard shank? Jeez, that CR/Fred Mistral IS a tree.

Every few years or so I have a senior moment and put this one on the buy list. Then I am reminded why he went off the list before. Hope you will favour us with some pix in bloom next Spring, OzRose. (Gorgeous Child makes an adorable garden ornament, btw. For sale?)Any love out there for another, more restrained Frenchman, Yves Piaget (Queen Adelaide)?

No not for sale Very Happy
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 4th June 2012, 04:13

Bruce , we have lots of very happy chooks here Very Happy
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 4th June 2012, 08:13

Hahahaha
If I let our chooks [Rhode Island Reds, ISAs] out onto the garden I'd have holes and zero mulch left.... (sure, no weeds ... but.... hehehe)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 13:04

Bump!
"I would appreciate suggestions on roses that are round, compact -ish, densely and fully foliaged, with good repeat bloom and good fragrance. Vase life doesn't matter, because the flowers won't be picked. Plants will be more of a 'living bouquet'."

Betsy I'm interested in what you eventually decided in your "Short, fat, overdressed and doused in perfume" rose for a pot. How has it turned out?

silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 12th December 2012, 14:30

Have a look at one called "In the Pink"......but it is not hot on the fragrance side....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 15:47

Neptune there are 2 different floribunda roses listed in HMF. One is bred by Pearce 1994 and the other by Connie Ryan 1988. Both pink, both listed with fragrance. Which do you mean?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th December 2012, 15:50

Second one Silky
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 15:55

OK. Not much info there but will keep my eye open. Do you have it Roseman?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th December 2012, 16:48

No Silky, not my colour. Not many pinks do.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next