Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

+8
The Lazy Rosarian
Barbara B
paulh
maree
silkyfizz
jordan71
betsyw
zephy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short Empty Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

Post by zephy 14th June 2013, 16:38

Hello
Very pleased to join you all. I live inland from Gympie near Kandanga. I am only a yearling at growing roses so am looking forward to getting expert advice.
We are cattle producers so free bull s**t is at hand. Our farm has very fertile soil but unfortunately where our house and garden is situated is pure gravel. Fortunately however a very nice council worker sighted me working in the garden and asked me if I would like the soil they were taking off the side of the road. I nearly said a very gross saying of my Dad's which I will not repeat here in fear of being excommunicated before I have even asked a question!!!! He said how many loads do you want, one , two. I replied whatever ya got. So now I have 50 odd truck loads of good bad and indifferent piles of soil in my front paddock. Bliss. I have all raised gardens because of the above mentioned gravel pit. Mixed a little bit of this and a little bit of that and dug furiously and it is looking very good. The roses seem to like it which is the main aim.
Well I am out of here so I can have a look around.

zephy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-06-14

Back to top Go down

Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short Empty Re: Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

Post by betsyw 14th June 2013, 16:46

What roses are you growing, Zephy? Very curious to see which varieties you have kicked off with in your debut ;-))))
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short Empty Re: Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

Post by jordan71 14th June 2013, 18:59

Welcome to rosetalk Zephy
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th June 2013, 19:07

Hi Zephy, welcome aboard. What luck to get all that soil, but lots of hard work I imagine getting it ready for your roses. What sort of roses do you like?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th June 2013, 21:27

Hi Zephy , welcome , welcome !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 14th June 2013, 21:36

Welcome Zephy, I'm sure you will find Rosetalk a good place to gain heaps of advice and encouragement.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 15th June 2013, 08:40

Welcome Zephy. 
Is the "Zephy" for "Zepherine Drouhin"?
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy 15th June 2013, 10:34

Thank you for a warm welcome everybody.
I am growing floribunda's and a few HT's and the usual climbers. Altissimo with iceberg. Mr Lincon with a white moonflower growing threw him. Teasing Georgia. What a mess I made of that one. I decided to grow half as a climber and let the rest do what it liked. The mind picture and reality are a mile apart.
David Austins G/J. God help me. Dreading pruning time.
Just Joey. Love him.
Ebb tide. School is still out with that one. Nice perfume though.
Sweet intoxication. Beautiful perfume and love the colour however have found the stems of the flowers very weak and only takes a heavy dew for them to break. Does anyone have a solution for this problem as it is a heartbreaking sight.
Freesia. Beautiful. Only rose not affected by blackspot in this weather.
Betty Cuthbert. Ugly buds looks like bugs have chewed the tops off but when they open are fine and puts on a lovely show. Same as Jane Mcgrath.
A Brindabella rose by the awful name of Leave Me Alone Pink. Why do they do that? Loose flowers but looks good at a distance. Sweet perfume.
My Generation rose. One love. Great colour and beautifully perfumed. Love it.
Another ugly named rose. My Generation  Swanes. Home Run. No perfume but never stops flowering and not just one or two buds but heaps.
Well I better get out of your ear's.
And yes Barbara B. Have it on order and have some questions for you but will start it in a new thread.
Cheers on this beautifull sunny freezing windy day.

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th June 2013, 10:52

Zephy, this is from your post, "Just Joey. Love him." 
He is a she.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy 15th June 2013, 11:26

Scuse me roseman.
I should know I am married to him and last time I looked he was definitely a he. Unless you have a genetic profile on Joey that I should know about to prove your hypothesis I dispute your claim!!!!!!

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2013, 11:45

From what I see Lynette, Roseman is talking about the rose bush "Just Joey". Just Joey was bred by Cants of Colchester, United Kingdom, in 1972. It was named for the wife of the Managing Director of Cants of Colchester, Joey Pawsey. ...........I'm slighty confused on this one.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy 15th June 2013, 12:54

Sorry Neptune. And Roseman if you were offended.
That was an example of my weird sense of humour.
Thank you for the history of Just Joey however a bit confused also, was Joey Pawsey the name of the managing director or was that his wife's name?

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2013, 13:04

his wife was named Joey..."It was named for the wife of the Managing Director of Cants of Colchester, Joey Pawsey. "
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy 15th June 2013, 13:36

Thank you for the clarification Neptune. The reason I am here. To learn.
I should have mentioned that Joe is my husbands name and the reason I bought the rose without knowing anything about it was because of the name

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2013, 13:44

Now I see where things are coming from..."Zephy, this is from your post, "Just Joey. Love him." 
He is a she".....an honest mistake....Smile
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy 15th June 2013, 14:11

Thank you Neptune. Glad we got that sorted.

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 15th June 2013, 16:30

....and now you can say:   "Love him and her".
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th June 2013, 20:39

Well how about that , i would have called Just Joey a he too , wonder if Joey was short for Josephine , Neptune you are amazing , the things you learn on this page.....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2013, 21:25

This might help a bit mare.....

"Roger Pawsey, the raiser, wanted to dedicate this rose to his wife Joanna, nicknamed Joey. 'Joey Pawsey' was something of a tongue twister. 'You could call it just "Joey",' suggested Roger's father. And 'Just Joey' it became. "
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th June 2013, 22:09

Thanks Neptune , wouldn't it be great to have a rose named after you , what a nice husband Roger Pawsey was !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2013, 22:24

all those unregistered roses maree, ...find someone who will give you a throw away and then you can name it "maree"....all for yourself...... Smile
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th June 2013, 23:50

Brilliant idea Neptune  Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short 2664029964
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 16th June 2013, 00:16

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th June 2013, 05:42

John will give credit due when credit is is due won't you John. roflmao
What John has given is  from a fantastic book named,"Naming the Rose" Discovering Who Roses Are Named For, By Roger Mann

Mann, Roger, 1948
Naming the rose

ISBN 978 1 74166 830 8 (bbk)

Roses
Roses - Varieties
Rose culture

All the above information is from the book and I highly recommend it. I would think any decent library would stock it or be able to get it on interlibrary loan.
There are over 80 entries in it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th June 2013, 08:45

Zephy

Hi from Sunshine Coast. Funny just Friday night one of the girls who used to work in our office told me she is moving to Kandanga. Weird?

Only solution that I have with regard to blackspot is to grow roses that don't suffer from it. We have well over 200 different varieties and never really have much of a problem with it. Yes we get a bit here or there but not plant defoliating problems.

Have a look at our gallery for some ideas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]#

You will soon catch on that 99% are varieties bred before 1930s with most being Teas and Chinas being bred in the 800's.

A few years of experimenting has shown us what not to bother with.

Kandanga would not be a humid as Mooloolah but it would not be too much better.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next