Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose -' Perfume Delight'

+3
The Lazy Rosarian
Admin
Floribunda
7 posters

Go down

Rose -' Perfume Delight' Empty Rose -' Perfume Delight'

Post by Floribunda 23rd January 2011, 16:24

My first post - hope you like it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Floribunda

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Rose -' Perfume Delight' Empty Re: Rose -' Perfume Delight'

Post by Admin 23rd January 2011, 16:30

It's a magnificent photograph and I can almost smell it from here! Beautiful rose Floribunda Thumbsup

Last edited by Simon on 23rd January 2011, 23:34; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd January 2011, 22:21

If I want some pictures done I would like you to take them please Lyn, that is beautiful photography Lyn. And again A warm welcome from me Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily 24th January 2011, 10:06

Howdy neighbour. That's a pretty good quality photo, and a very healthy looking plant. I wouldn't mind getting some shot's up myself, but I can't find my charger for the camera Dunno

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Rose -' Perfume Delight' Empty Rose - Perfume Delight

Post by Floribunda 24th January 2011, 12:08

Simon wrote:It's a magnificent photograph and I can almost smell it from here! Beautiful rose Floribunda Thumbsup
It does have one of the best perfumes of all the roses. Thanks Simon.

Floribunda

Back to top Go down

Rose -' Perfume Delight' Empty Rose - Perfume Delight

Post by Floribunda 24th January 2011, 12:13

shamous o'reily wrote:Howdy neighbour. That's a pretty good quality photo, and a very healthy looking plant. I wouldn't mind getting some shot's up myself, but I can't find my charger for the camera Dunno
Thanks fellow SA. What a great season we've had for the roses!

Floribunda

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th January 2011, 12:21

Lyn are we going to get some more wonderful rose pictures cheers
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th January 2011, 21:08

Lyn, great pix and a very healthy Perfume Delight. Mine is around 7' high and covered in Blackspot. I keep it because Spring and Autumn blooms are wonderful. The leaves at the moment look totally black like Simons Downy Mildew. Sydney weather is a real killer.

I was at Bunnings Dural two days ago and inquired about their roses.
The reply was "We have given up on roses in Sydney because of all the Blackspot and fungus problems, other stores carry a few."

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Floribunda 25th January 2011, 12:37

Ozeboy - You do it tough in Sydney with roses and your humid weather. I hate spraying and try not too, but a "Rose Shield" spray may help. Other than keeping space around your roses for air-flow, and cleaning up the dropped leaves, there is not much you can do.
Have you tried the Tea Roses ?- There are some 'toughies' around and I have a friend in Brisbane who has success with them.

Floribunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 25th January 2011, 14:52

Is the humidity that bad in Sydney? I mean as compared to Queensland where you sweat in airconditioning cause it is so humid.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 25th January 2011, 14:53

Floribunda

Yep Teas love it up here.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Floribunda 25th January 2011, 18:07

Balinbear

We have holidayed on your beautiful Sunshine Coast and I tell you the humidity in Sydney nearly killed me! Maybe the ***** Resort & Pool on the SC helped & the grandchildren & no pool in Sydney had something to do with it! LOL. Very Happy

Floribunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 26th January 2011, 12:31

I have around 1500 roses and all are in sunlight from dawn to dusk. Some are very disease free like the Tea's, Noisettes, China's, Alister Clarks and some selected varieties from the 1800's and 1900's. Unfortunatly Perfume Delight does not fit into the healthy group. Shame as it is a really nice rose that a lot of people on the forum are using as a breeder. It needs to be crossed with a very healthy rose. The Alister Clark HT's are excellent and can see no reason to go right back to Gigantea since AC has done all the hard work getting to this point. I have Gigantea just to remind me of his great expertise breeding roses.

This country has such variable weather conditions and it is no mistake that nearly all the big nurseries set up shop down in the lower part of the continent. Elsewhere there are very dry climates ideal for growing grapes and roses such as west of the Great Dividing Range. Unfortunatly the rose testing gardens are in Victoria where roses are not exposed to humid weather condittions. I have offered to grow roses here for people who have bred what they think is a good healthy rose and continue to offer this help. Gary up in Brisbane would also have a good testing garden.

I have bought in a Brownell bred HT called Arctic Flame which is part of his Sub Zero collection. The idea was to prove if these roses are healthy at both ends of the temperature scale. I am very impressed with this rose in the heat. It's value as a breeder is yet to be gauged. Another one nearly lost is AC's Argosy (HT), one of the best looking healthiest roses here. Doesn't make hips to date but will try it's pollen. There are a lot of roses that make a lot of hips and ones bred by the masses. I keep asking myself are these going to perform here and are they being used mainly because they make a lot of hips.

My disapointment to date is Carefree Wonder that is covered in spots, yellow leaves and is dropping leaves like crazy. Having Prairie Princess in its pedigree suggests it would be good here. I have Carefree Beauty also with Prairie Princess in it's pedigree. These roses are considered very healthy but not a certainty here in Sydney. I have been collecting a lot of breeder roses to test here rather than be lead by the nose by others in different climates. So the challenge continues and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th January 2011, 13:46

Bruce, I actually don't know anyone on the forum who uses 'Perfume Delight' in their breeding. In fact I haven't heard of anyone anywhere using it.

This conversation belongs in the hybridising forum as I don't want to take anything away from Lyn's beautiful photography, but I can think of many, many reasons to right back to gigantea. Granted, some of the Alister Clark hybrid gigantea are well worth looking at, such as 'Nancy Hayward', but as much as I respect Alilster Clark for his work and his foresight I think, also, there was much he could have done that he didn't for whatever reasons. For instance, a breeder such as 'Trier' has proven instrumental in opening doors to many outstanding hybrids all over the world and in my garden, 'Trier' grows without any chemical intervention and is an outstanding rose. Gigantea put onto 'Trier' is my number one cross planned in the future. This is because of the work of other notable rose breeders such as Louis Lens. He did a lot of work with 'Trier' and 'Mutabilis' and made the outstanding [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I wish I could get this rose here in Australia as it is most beautiful and bomb proof. I have repeated the cross this year by putting 'Mutabilis' onto 'Trier' myself, however, I have found 'Mutabilis' a difficult parent and have only ever managed to raise one seedling from it. 'Trier' was also pivotal in developing persica hybrids. Putting Rosa persica on 'Trier' resulted in 'Tigris' which was the first fertile persica hybrid. So, you see, bringing other forms of healthy roses in to the gigantea line would be of immense value with roses that have proven fertile bridges to make garden shrubs of many different forms.

Another one that I would love to do is wichurana x gigantea. This is because wichuarana has dwarfing properties that tend to temper a lot of giants. Maybe not wichurana itself but I sent you a plant of 'Immensee' and this might prove invaluable as it is a cross between wichurana and 'The Fairy' and was itself a parent to all the Flower Carpet lines. I have done 'Immensee' x Bonica' this season to see if I can make nicely sized healthy shrubs with the health of wichuarana.

I have about 50 hips forming on Rosa longicuspis var. sinowilsonii here and I am very much looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Bringing gigantea and longicuspis together might be another cross, prior to introducing moderns, that could be valuable... the idea of 'collecting' as many species as possible in foundation breeders is something that appeals to me a lot. In factr, some of the hips forming on sinowilsonii are with 'Nancy Hayward'.

So don't give up on gigantea itself. There are many tricks left in this species and many different combnations to try. One might be miniature, like 'Delicious', x gigantea. Mr Moore tried many different crosses with bracteata and even has a moss x bracteata hybrid... you just never know where the useful crosses are going to come from.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th January 2011, 18:20

Lyn's a champion, great pix and a well grown Perfume Delight.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th January 2011, 18:44

Simon go to HMF and punch in( 07 4A 19B) and( Dream Catcher) you might be supprised

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 10th December 2012, 00:53

I was at my dads yesterday and had a look at his Perfume Delight lovely flower,but perfume was weake when it is suppose to be strong.It is a young plant.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th December 2012, 07:23

Simon, I have read your lengthy breeding post many times but did not comment previously. Has taken time to inwardly digest your words of wisdom regarding greater use of species.
One of your comments that has stuck in my mind is how some breeders are constantly recycling unhealthy HT's in their breeding. I guess this is the quick way but if not extremely healthy then it's really a backward step.
The Chew fragbabe seedlings are all looking so healthy and the new release from Swanes 'Home Run' has great potential. It looks like a very dense Photinia Red Robin from a distance so has the bush appeal I am looking for. Can't wait for it to grow right out for the one I have has been cut well back.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Floribunda 10th December 2012, 18:21

Hi! Just to let you know I am still around and do check in from time to time! Feeling a bit guilty and will try and do better.
The site looks fantastic.
Just an observation on 'Perfume Delight' and the perfume. Since following this post I have paid a bit more attention to the perfume strength, and it does seem to vary somewhat. Sometime I get a really strong "nose" and other times it is as some on here have said, not so strong. Perhaps the air temperature plays a big part with this rose.
That may all be rubbish of course - just an observation!

Floribunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down