Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding?

+2
Admin
Ozrosarian
6 posters

Go down

Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding? Empty Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding?

Post by Ozrosarian 20th June 2010, 22:01

Aussies love it, and although I think it's an exceptional bloomer with a fine tea fragrance, I don't like its growth habit and overall look -- it's not a very pretty bush.
However, has anyone tried to use it in breeding? Is it fertile? I can imagine that crossing it with some better looking bush could potentially create some lovely, floriferous offspring.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding? Empty Re: Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding?

Post by Admin 20th June 2010, 22:11

G'Day Zvonimir,

I have used it this season and have been impressed by how fertile it has been. My bush is in its first year here and every flower has produced a hip. I also put 'Mutabilis' pollen on it (this stuck but made small numbers of seed per hip) and put its pollen onto a range of roses and it stuck on these too. I think there is potential there as a breeder, however, talking with Viru Viraraghavan he mentions that he's not had much luck with Lorraine Lee as a parent. Instead he uses, and is experiencing a good degree of success with, one of LL's offspring; 'Lady Mann'. This is unusual given that 'Lady Mann, is a sport of 'Lorraine Lee' and as such should breed in an identical manner. For this reason I am going to persist with 'Lorraine Lee' in teh coming breeding season as I too believe it has much to offer. There actually isn't much I don't like about it. Once it puts on some size the shape and habit of the bush changes considerably. As a small bush it builds up slowly and has an awkward unbalanced look to it. It makes twiggy growth (a habit I personally like and prefer) but very long stemmed sprays of flowers that seem to tower over the plant. I look forward to mine looking like some of the ones shown on HMF: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding? Empty Re: Anyone used Lorraine Lee for breeding?

Post by The Estate 21st June 2010, 08:41

I have her, she is HUGE climber, one of my best roses and your right smells bootiful love Pic 12 months old, she is now bigger again Suspect

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st June 2010, 16:07

Awesome photo Cheryl!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 21st June 2010, 18:27

thanks Simon, gave her a slight trim this arvo, sick of getting rose thorns in my scull Shocked maybe that is why I get so cranky easily, rose damage to the brain Laughing
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 21st June 2010, 18:58

Is Lorraine Lee only a climber?

Lauriek

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st June 2010, 19:00

Nope... I grow the bush form Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 21st June 2010, 19:00

Rose Petal wrote:I have her, she is HUGE climber, one of my best roses and your right smells bootiful love Pic 12 months old, she is now bigger again Suspect

Rose Petal, that is a gorgeous picture. What aspect? Is LL facing north by any chance?

Lauriek

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 21st June 2010, 19:16

Ummm not sure Embarassed It gets all afternoon sun after it gets over the top peak of the house , does that make sense ?? and guess what is was a $5 toss out at Bunnings only about 5 - 6 years ago Innocent , No pic no Idea just said climber , and my neighbours name is Lorraine so I bought it L.O.L.
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 22nd June 2010, 06:31

Yep the climber is one big thorny girl. I had one on the verandah corner which was spectacular every spring (and nothing much after that) She had to be chainsawed to the ground and is now sulking because she was replaced with G Nabonnand. On the opposite verandah corner I've got the bush form of LL which is 3 m high and easy to manage. I grow Mutabilis through her instead of clematis.

I've used the bush form for hybridising and have a plant of LL x Chaucer. LL was the pollen parent. It is not a strong plant yet, but has pretty flowers a bit like Chaucer. As Simon says, she's very fertile. Well worth pursuing.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 22nd June 2010, 08:18

Yes my girl needs a going over with a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 22nd June 2010, 10:21

Dave wrote:
I've used the bush form for hybridising and have a plant of LL x Chaucer. LL was the pollen parent. It is not a strong plant yet, but has pretty flowers a bit like Chaucer. As Simon says, she's very fertile. Well worth pursuing.

Oh, great, thanks Dave. Looking forward to it.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 22nd June 2010, 20:21

Took these this arvo as you see I have only front pruned LL , I cant get up that high above the fence Rolling Eyes

The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 22nd June 2010, 20:22

Yes the lawn/mud patch is a mess, will be raked/mowed up after I finish making a mess Embarassed
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2011, 07:52

Last year I used Lorraine Lee, made various crosses and the results were

Hips formed and after 1 month yellowed and fell off

Hip formed and after 4 mths ripened with no seed germinating

Hip formed and was quite large and full looking, stayed green, when split
open had no seed only fibres

Made one cross using its pollen , with a modern, resulting in a dk red, and extremely doubled

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 16th January 2011, 11:06

The dark red sounds nice, ozroz.

My LL x Chaucer died. This happens:(

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2011, 11:21

Did it die as a seedling or a few years old?

I was thinking of doing some R. gigantea crosses next spring , but then I had the brain wave Idea of using Alister Clarkes F1 crosses, sort of cuts out the hard work and your half way there

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th January 2011, 15:13

Dave, if it flowered, what was the colour, buff/orange
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 16th January 2011, 17:18

It was a couple of years old in a pot. Just died in the greenhouse last winter, probably over-loved LOL

It looked and smelled like Chaucer with not as many petals.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2011, 17:44

What a bummer, did the leaves look like R. Gigantea or more modern like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th January 2011, 18:04

Warren, I have used 'Nancy Hayward' (as pollen) this year and have a few takes. I think this one would be a better choice along the gigantea lines as it is very fertile and remontant already. I have a few spare struck cuttings if you would like one.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2011, 18:15

Thanks Simon , have access to Nancy Hayward here in deni, Thanks a lot for the offer though

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 16th January 2011, 18:39

Modern looking leaves - more like Chaucer again

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23rd January 2011, 10:01

This rose was bred using Whiz kid X Lorraine Lee. Whiz kid's breeding is
Moulin Rouge x Fantin Latour, producing a semi double reddy pink bloom. Crossing whiz Kid with Lorraine Lee resulted in the above photograph, I can see a similarity in petal structure to Gènèral Schablikine. Lorraine Lee is almost pure tea except for the R. gigantea in it.

Fantin Latour bred 1900 is classified Centifolia of unknown parents, HMF references say it could a combination of various crosses (who knows) its a bummer when you dont know the parents

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down