Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ?

4 posters

Go down

Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ? Empty Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ?

Post by maree 27th January 2014, 06:20

Make no mistake i absolutely love the fragrance and blooms of this rose, but after two tries already the bush itself was so miserable i pulled em out .  But i'm thinking third time lucky , give it lots of space , no competition from other plants and TLC .  How have you found yours if you have one ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ? Empty Re: Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ?

Post by jordan71 27th January 2014, 06:59

Mine is in a pot Maree , I haven't had any major dramas , beside a bit of blackspot earlier in the season
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ? Empty Re: Chartrusse de Parme who's had luck with this rose ?

Post by silkyfizz 27th January 2014, 09:29

Mine took a long time to come into its own. Yes indeed, perfume and flowers are just divine. I wouldn't ever call it vigorous or robust, especially when young, but much much stronger and bigger than that dud Julia's Rose, which is my benchmark for hopeless. It responds to feeding, likes manure and lots of water. Mine was plagued with BS and defoliated for the first two years of its life but now is healthy without me doing much at all. Quite slow to repeat but when she does, stand back and drink in her beauty and fragrance. I can't imagine my garden without her. Go for it Maree, third time lucky.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th January 2014, 19:39

Thanks Jordan and Silky , i think the last one got bullied for light from some other bigger roses , so i'll give it plenty of space this time and as you say lots of water and food and just be patient .... never tried Julia's rose , i'll stay away from that one .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th January 2014, 19:55

nice shot silky, here's my Chartrusse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th January 2014, 20:06

Hey , pretty good guys , i won't ask you to put one up after today's weather lol !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th January 2014, 20:10

haha .. yeah I just watered all my roses at the back , I will do the front after work tomorrow
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 27th January 2014, 21:51

Worse to come tomorrow. Not good for roses, people or animals!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th January 2014, 21:58

I'm dreading tomorrow Silky , hot and windy , wonder how any bush fires there will be ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 27th January 2014, 22:46

Me too maree, I hate it when it's like this. Bushfires yep for sure there will be some unfortunately. Pity the firies who'll be out in it, they do a great job, unsung heroes.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 28th January 2014, 14:55

I lost my C.de parme a couple of years ago in the heat and dry of summer. Gorgeous flowers and perfume, but it couldn't cope with our climate. Despite some over zealous pruning that has set her back a little (lesson - don't prune Bourbons too soon), the Bourbon Mme Isaac Periere is much tougher and has similarly colouring and strongly perfumed flowers.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th January 2014, 19:01

What a long , long day Silky , hot at work , air conditioner not up to it and still hot outside .   Rosebud Madame Issac Periere is a beautiful rose , but its a small climber isn't it , how have you found it ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 28th January 2014, 20:57

Yes, the Madame does take up a lot of room - hence my earlier disastrous attempts at containing (pruning) her. I've decided to let her spread her 'wings' - once she's completely forgiven me. She's slowly coming around now. And yes, I could gather her up and put her on a small trellis if I didn't have room to let her spread.
Hope you get a cool break soon, maree.
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th January 2014, 21:01

Rosebud , cool change just came through for now thank heavens , i think Madame would be great on a  small trellis , she is known for mildew and BS , have you had any problems with that ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2014, 22:29

My heart goes out to you Maree, having to work today, and anyone else in the same boat. With or without aircon (like me) it was just too damn hot to be productive at work. Yes that change is so welcome. I'm finding these days heatwaves really knock me around a bit and it takes a couple of days to get over it. I didn't even have the energy to do any watering this evening, too pooped. Poor birds outside were suffering too, congregating around the water bowls so I left the hose trickling in the shade under the japanese maple. A large family of magpies mingled peacefully with all the others, big and small.
Rosebud your vision of Madame Isaac on a trellis would look just lovely. She is a gorgeous creature. I would be interested too in how you have found her re health. Does she ball in the wet?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th January 2014, 22:47

Silky , i did the same thing , got home and refilled all the bird baths and bowls , and i didn't have the get up and go to water either , roll on autumn ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 29th January 2014, 10:24

Mme Isaac Periere has not shown any problems with balling in wet weather (nothing like Svnr de la Malmaison!) and minimal problems with blackspot.  I have not seen any evidence of mildew either.  She's been too busy recovering from her drastic prune!

Silky and maree, love that other rose lovers also fill their gardens with water for the birdlife, even when you're suffering!  
I feel for you both with the heatwave. We have only had a few days of extreme heat up here so far this year - and they were awful.  
Hope you can both get some cool R & R!
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th January 2014, 23:01

Thanks Rosebud , been cooler today but its heating up again , drat , here goes the hose and shade cloth again lol ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 29th January 2014, 23:41

Oh it was so nice today with the temperature in the comfortable range. Bliss. Some deep watering for the garden.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down