Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

+6
maree
paulh
AutumnDamask
silkyfizz
jordan71
Dimity Cottage
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose - Page 2 Empty Re: Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

Post by Dimity Cottage 30th September 2013, 18:34

Betsy, have just had a look at Love Potion on the Net, Lovely Rose, I don't mind that she doesn't have a high centre.
Also looked at Big Purple, lovely colour on Treloar's site. If only it would stay that colour in our sunshine. I will try to find these in a garden growing here to see how they perform.  
Jordan, I am so happy with Blueberry Hill, it is a lovely colour even when it fads.
Danny, Barbara Streisand looks lovely, I have heard that she is happy here, but will do some more checking.
Thanks Guys.    Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose - Page 2 931050920
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose - Page 2 Empty Re: Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

Post by silkyfizz 30th September 2013, 22:14

My Barbra Striesand is gorgeous, really an eye catching diva who'll knock your socks off with her perfume. No health issues so far, in fact it is a strong grower, beautiful shiny red foliage at the moment.
This pic is from last spring, soon after planting.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st October 2013, 04:36

Silky, where did you get your exceptional Barbra?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st October 2013, 06:44

Lucky for you silky , initially at the start of the season Barbra gets a bit of black spot but recovers quite quickly
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st October 2013, 15:55

Betsy I got Babs just at a local nursery. Saw her in a pot, had to have her.
Yours looks nice too Jordan.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 1st October 2013, 16:05

I saw a rose at the shops that really caught my eye, Anver's or Avner's rose it was called, lovely mauve similar in colour to Charles de Gualle and good fragrance, I wonder if anyone has it?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st October 2013, 16:09

This might help a bit
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st October 2013, 16:15

Right, silky, a Darwinian specimen. I suspect that the strongest plants often get shown off at nurseries, the better to grab the innocent passersby, and seduce them into impulse buying. (it's a ploy that reels me in every time, I admit).

I further suspect that's how I'll one day end up with Babs - see her, want her, buy her.

I notice that Blackberry Nip isn't getting much air time in this thread, and I know that a few of us have it. I confess I;m underwhelmed with mine. Maybe others have a different view, and maybe this year will see a new and improved BN for me.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st October 2013, 16:33

Betsy so true. I just can't help myself when confronted by an uberhealthy luscious rose, that I have read about and hankered for and then there they are, right before my very eyes, all but leaping into my trolley. Nurseries know what they're about, that's why the exchange of moolah only goes one way!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 1st October 2013, 17:29

Checked out your link David, to 'Avner's Hope' the Charity Rose, quite pretty. Generous of Masters to give such a % of the sales.
I will see if I can get any info here on how it will grow in QLD.  
Have a Lovely Evening...  Coming up Roses
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 1st October 2013, 19:48

Thanks Roseman, that's the one, it was lovely, and for a good cause too, would be interesting to see how it does.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 1st October 2013, 19:58

Im wishing for a better season from blackberry nip to.Didnt give me much blooms ,but its colour for me no other rose has like it so lovely.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st October 2013, 21:06

We live in hope, Danny, but even putting aside the scarcity of blooms , the also-diffident bloomer Big Purple at least smashes the ball out of the park when it produces. A power flower, if not an extravagant bush.

Also, I'm not seeing much love for Neptune the rose, (although of course there is much love for Neptune the rosarian. ) Has it been eclipsed by something similar, but better?

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st October 2013, 22:46

My Blackberry Nip is in its second year too , its budding up nicely , i'll take a pic when it flowers , hope the fragrance has improved from last year . I'll give it three years , if no good then , out she comes ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 2nd October 2013, 04:03

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it .but I dont think so is the good old Blue Moon rose.I have two and they never stop blooming with a nice sweet perfume and lovely flower to.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 2nd October 2013, 05:29

My husband's Aunt grows Blue Moon and she loves them, though I suspect they are getting a little old now. Does anyone have any that are very old and are they still performing well.
Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose - Page 2 931050920
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd October 2013, 05:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is Jacaranda, not mine, no blooms yet, one of my favourites, lovely perfume.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2