Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Importing Seed

2 posters

Go down

Importing Seed Empty Importing Seed

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st September 2013, 07:55

Just to start off this thread,I have been asked explain how rose seed can be imported from overseas legally. More to be added in a couple of hours in step by step format.For those that are interested or have some input to it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Importing Seed Empty Re: Importing Seed

Post by SueH 1st September 2013, 11:49

Thanks roseman! Look forward to your input and advice.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st September 2013, 15:13

1. ALL pulp, flesh and fibers must be removed so there are only clean, dry seed. Any other material included with the seed will result in them being destroyed.

2. Separate each type and label what they are with the quantity of each type per pack. The suggested wording is, "Rosa hybrida OP (with either the name of the rose the seed is open pollinated of, or the cross inserted here)" It makes no sense to me to call them "Rosa hybrida OP Blue Moon X Lagerfeld" but that's what was provided me and what I used to successfully get the seed into Australia. Number each envelope "1 of X", "2 of X", etc. for however many there are.

3. Once each type is cleaned, separately packaged (small envelope, small plastic bag, etc.) and labeled, make a "packing slip" for them listing the number of each envelope, the contents (Rosa hybrida OP Blue Moon X Lagerfeld", etc and the quantity of seeds contained in each envelope. Ideally, no more than twenty seed of each type should be sent so if there are a number of types, the total won't be too much to handle, nor exceed the limit permitted for an amateur to receive without an import permit. I found it advantageous to use a peel and stick label on the plastic bags (or write directly on small paper envelopes if those are used) to write the information on each packet instead of including a plant label with the information for each. It reduces weight and bulk of the package, reducing postage.

4. It is ideal to include the name, address and phone number of the recipient on the packing slip, as well as the sender's name, address and country of origin.

5. Package the envelopes with the packing slip in a padded bag or small box, address it to the recipient and label the outside of the box, "Attention Plant Quarantine: Contents Rose Hybrida Seed". Then mail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 1st September 2013, 15:38

Thanks roseman. Just the info I needed. Will now be able to instruct my long suffering friend!
Oh, will you be giving instructions on how to deal with them when they (the seeds) arrive in Australia? (Please Importing Seed 3428811783 )!!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st September 2013, 16:59

Importing Seed 2888619713 Importing Seed 1832169223
Warren(Ozroz) might help to.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 1st September 2013, 17:51

Good Lads! Importing Seed 3318427985 

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd September 2013, 19:08

I guess Warren(Ozroz) has not seen this or he would have replied by now.
Sue from what I can find so far "Spartan" is in the USA and "Rose Gaujard" has three nurseries that sell it in Aus. If from what was mentioned via PM's the seed from your English friend would have to be harvested shortly as they are going into thier Autumn.

Betsy, was there any that you had your eye on from the USA or other parts of the world.

I hope you both understand from the the seed which reaches our shores might not be exactly the same as the one you wish for, it could be better or worse.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down