Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

'Borderer' as a seed parent.

2 posters

Go down

'Borderer' as a seed parent. Empty 'Borderer' as a seed parent.

Post by Admin 2nd January 2012, 12:33

I've used 'Borderer' a bit as a seed parent this year and a large percentage of them have taken so far. It seems pretty good as a parent and it will be interesting to see how the seedlings turn out. It also produces lots of pollen that seems to have worked on a few things too. It's got 'Jersey Beauty' as a grandparent so it's a hybrid wichurana and it goes back to 'Perle des Jardins' and it seems to grow strongly and pretty cleanly. It doesn't seem to ball like PdJ does. I've put its pollen onto Flower Carpet™ 'Pink' and my own seedling called 'Bullseye' (both wichurana hybrids) and I've put a few pollens onto it like Rosa wichurana, Rosa longicuspis var. sinowilsonii, 'Ebb Tide' (had it lying around and thought.. why not lol), and 'Lorraine Lee'. 'Borderer' flowers its head off too but the Tea in it will probably wash out the colours of its seedlings to pastel tones (which is why I put it onto FCP to try and fortify the colour).

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

'Borderer' as a seed parent. Empty Re: 'Borderer' as a seed parent.

Post by Balinbear 2nd January 2012, 19:49

I think Boarderer is one of the best edging roses around. Ours just flower on and on and are clean relativly desease free plants.

And they strike well from cuttings.

It will be interesting to see whta eventuates.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2012, 02:03

Gary, have you ever grown any other Wichurana x tea/china/noisette hyrbids up your way in the QLD heat? I have a spare 'Paul Noel' I can send you if you would like to try it (wichurana x 'Monsieur Tillier' apparently). I'm curious to know whether adding wichurana significantly affects how they do further north. It seems to be a difficult combination to get right for me so far. I have crossed 'Immensee' with Monsieur Tillier and kept only one of its seedlings and it's not looking so crash hot at the moment either.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down