Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Black Caviar Rose

+5
jordan71
Ozeboy
betsyw
silkyfizz
maree
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Black Caviar Rose  Empty Black Caviar Rose

Post by maree 12th February 2013, 11:04

Have just put a order in for Black Caviar rose from Silkie Roses in Victoria , cost me about $50.00 with postage , spoke to Diana from Silkies via email , she said the fragrance is divine . Lets keep fingers crossed this is a beauty !! When i asked if it was a new rose or a renamed one she said it was new ..
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Black Caviar Rose  Empty Re: Black Caviar Rose

Post by silkyfizz 12th February 2013, 11:35

Black Caviar sounds glorious Maree, I made a note of this one while trawling through Silkies offerings too. Pricey though, is it a potted one? You'll have to keep us up to date on this one. Well that's one down to you, how many more Maree? Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 12th February 2013, 12:41

I have bought a lot of roses off Silkies over the years Silky and they have always been pricey , on a par with Swanes for prices , and new releases are always more expensive , i think its a bareroot , not real sure , cause its a pre order . Yep , one down Silky lol , still got Fragrant Cloud , Violina ( replacing my old one ) Olde Fragrance ( replacing my old one ) Jubilee Celebration , Nahema , to go . Will do another bed next year , with Babs , Jardins , Sweet Jessica , and maybe some new releases , got it all sorted for this year lol . How about you , made any decisions yet ? will definately keep you posted on Black Caviar too . Diana from Silkies is really nice too , have been up there a couple of times , they have shifted though from the last time i was there , they are usually at the Melbourne Flower show too , i know their spot at the show well now lol !! You going to the flower show this year Silkie ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 00:40

Maree I hope to make it out to the Flower show this year but each year as it gets bigger, I think it loses something in its atmosphere. Haven't been for a while.
I was planning to go out and have a look at Silkies but saw they moved so thought I'd leave it until later.
I think I will be getting most of my orders from Magic Gardens this year. But there are some I want that they don't stock so will look elsewhere. Every time I think the list is done, I change my mind. Arrrggghhh. So far: Queen Adelaide, Firefighter, Camp David, Oklahoma, Parole, Old port, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Abraham Darby Young Lycidas, more Munstead Woods, Jubilee Celebration, Francis Dubrueil, Monsieur Tillier, Daybreaker, Children's Rose, Scentimental, Compte de chambourd, Jardins de Bagatelle.
Some of these may have to wait til next year though as I've also got to work on new beds. I'm not sure of the spacing for some of the smaller DA's, trying to fit in too much maybe. I seem to be constantly digging now.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 01:00

Silky , i did email Magic about bareroot available plants for 2013 and they are looking at their stock availability . They do the cut flower trade as well, and said after Valentines Day they would get to it . There names are Peter and Jason , Jason handles the rose orders from what i can understand , i have spoken to him on the phone . Good luck with the digging , one way to keep fit !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 01:18

OK, thanks Maree. I will contact them towards end Feb.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 07:16

I've been waiting to hear back from Knights Roses re Black Caviar.A friend of mine also had made enquiries. Will get on to Silkies next payday. I am just so curious about this one, and my pal breeds racing thoroughbreds, and is dead set on getting it. She's given me many wonderful gifts over the years : I might make her an early birthday present of this one ;=__ Thanks for the heads up, Maree/
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 08:30

I also contacted Knights but didn't hear from them , and then saw it on the Silkies page , now it is ordered and paid for , Silkies are more expensive , i think they used to grow all their own roses , but then they sold their land and downsized and moved and now they have rose breeders they buy off , they have always been a organic rose sales business . They have a nice cafe as well . Husband and wife , Diana is great, very approachable , she said she had a guy buy Black Caviar in a pot and he brought it back again cause it was too fragrant lol !! sounds like my kinda rose hey !!! Just have to wait and see , hope its not all hype , cause so far my Blackberry Nip still hasn't got much of a smell , first year though ... i'll be patient i think , lol !
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 08:43

Look, I think Black Caviar probably IS 60% hype, maree/ Maybe 90% ;-))))

I regard this purchase as a bit of a lark, not a seriously weighed and considered acquisition. When I think of the hundreds and hundreds of dud plants I've deliriously dragged out of garden centres over the years, one more little wildly speculative buy can't hurt. That;s my story and I'm sticking to it

Hope the fragrance is worth at least $10 .....
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 10:33

Betsy your history of roses and mine are exactly the same , my story to my husband , ( i don't drink, i don't smoke , i don't do hair colours , nails etc ) but he still looks at me like i'm nuts lol !!! BC is staying in a pot till it proves itself though , cause i'm sick of digging out roses , my poor back says enough lol
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 13th February 2013, 11:34

$50 for an untried rose without a health report!!!. I'll have to go back and read the post again to believe what's written.

Not all that bad as you will probably have $50 worth of fun and nice to have Black Cavair at your place.

I'm lucky for I have Tanya Verstack in my front garden. Might have to put Elle there as well.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 12:17

And we don't even know which company repped by Knights even bred the thing -Harkness, Cocker Tantau or Guillot?
In fact, for a rose that was supposedly "sold out" for 2012, there's no trace of it anywhere!

All up, Ozeboy, this rose is vaporware so far ;-))))))))))))

Maybe we should call it Fine Cotton until proven otherwise.

Ah well, we are marketing suckers. So is most of the known universe.

Who on earth is Tanya Verstack? Going to look her up now.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 12:45

Ozeboy , i liken it to my husbands favourite pastime , beer , now how much does a carton of one of those things cost ? I wouldn't have a clue lol !!!! Me i've got two vices ( passions ) in life ,gardening and FOOTY (AFL) ha ha !!! This is a bit of a mystery rose Betsy isn't it , as you say , can't find much on it , maybe , just maybe , this could be the holy grail of roses , great blooms , great perfume , great colour and heathy to boot , ha lets see lol ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 13:49

maree darlin', if that were the case, NO WAY that its UK or European breeder would have let it go without naming it in the first instance. To hear Kinghst tell it, this one seems to have come from a consignment of unnamed (as yet) cuttings.

Do you think it sounds like a Generosa (Guillot)?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 14:36

Betsy , honestly i wouldn't have a clue , it does have very old fashioned looking blooms , doesn't it ? i think i'll ask Diana from Silkies about it ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 16:29

Maree, I like your positive attitude, and if you've paid $50 bucks for some fun, good for you. It looks lovely and even if its a dud, think of the fun we'll have discussing it here! Lol
Ozeboy, I remember Tanya Verstack, first Aussie beauty to hit the bigtime. I didn't know she had a rose named after her, must be an old'un, bit like me Haha. NOOOOOO!!!!! Why did I say that?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 17:05

Silky lo ha ha !! bet your not as old as me , me i'm a baby boomer , Silky i'm always on the look out out for that elusive perfect rose , one that captivates me , one that as i walk past it , i think now i really can't do without that rose , ever, and i like the sound of burgundy red a bit different from Firefighter and Oklahoma . I had a look where Silkies have moved to Clonbinane , near Kinglake , they used to be at Kilmore , think i'd spend more than $25.00 in petrol driving that far from where i live , and isn't it exciting a new rose lol ha ha !! what could be better than that ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 17:21

Me too, me too Maree, baby boomer, that's me!
Yes I know just what you mean, finding that perfect rose. But sometimes it's not just the individual plant but the vista we create of a collection of perfectly chosen roses and their combined scents that waft in the morning breeze. Interplay of colours, shapes, shades, heights, with lots of other plants too to add interest. That's my dream anyway....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 17:25

Yep , you put it perfectly Silky !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 19:03

"the vista we create of a collection of perfectly chosen roses and their combined scents that waft in the morning breeze...

And when that fails, I usually turn to drink.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 19:11

Lol ha ha ,he he , beautifully put Betsy !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 19:35

Hahha, or the rose catalogue! Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th February 2013, 20:31

First the drink, then the catalogues, then some more drink, and then some online ordering, then some more drink - and you get this...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well,Silky does. I get this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th February 2013, 21:31

Hahahahahha Betsy. Make that two of us at the compost bin though Lol.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th February 2013, 21:51

L.O.L.
maree
maree