Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION

+6
Happy roses
dannyboy
maree
Jac2
silkyfizz
jordan71
10 posters

Go down

JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION Empty JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 18:52

JAQUES CARTIER

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS

PORTMEIRION
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION Empty Re: JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION

Post by silkyfizz 1st November 2012, 19:07

still more beautiful roses Jordan. Particularly like the last 2. Can't find much on HMF. What can you tell us about them? PortM looks like a smallish bush, could be handy to tuck in somewhere.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION Empty Re: JAQUES CARTIER. AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS, PORTMEIRION

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 19:57

hi silky , portM is a small bush, mine still very small tho .. it is a slow grower . the colour is very vibrant pink .. and has a nice perfume also..
i believe it grows just little over 1 m in height ... red cross is a nice rose with red velvet petals and has a nice tea rose smell and it grows to about 1.5 m.
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st November 2012, 20:34

How do the blooms of Red Cross compare to the classic reds Oklahoma, Mr L, Papa and perhaps Firefighter? I'm in the process of creating a special place for some reds and am fishing for some ideas.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 20:38

silkyfizz wrote:How do the blooms of Red Cross compare to the classic reds Oklahoma, Mr L, Papa and perhaps Firefighter? I'm in the process of creating a special place for some reds and am fishing for some ideas.

well silky . if u wanna compare it to another red rose it would be oklahoma but its a little darker .. and the perfume is stronger also.very similar to papa's perfume ,as far as i am concern i dont think blackberry nip has such a strong perfume as they mention in the cat. i find it very soft .
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st November 2012, 21:25

Thanks Jordan that's useful. Looks like I should keep my eye out for it, it's always good to actually see it before committing and it's a new one for me. From its name I take it that it's a Aussie bred?
Fragrance is a funny thing isn't it? The other day, when it was warm and sunny I caught this lovely scent wafting around and I finally tracked it to Kardinal. Now this rose normally has very little scent and only if you stick your nose in and sniff hard, yet here it was perfuming the air! Roses always manage to surprise us.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd November 2012, 00:28

Yes, it’s very interesting that ARC is darker and has a better fragrance than Oklahoma to me, too. Is it Australian as the name suggests, Dan? Its not listed on HMF.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 2nd November 2012, 06:43

yes it is an australian bred rose
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd November 2012, 11:28

Jac i found it under Red Cross , on HMF , sounds like it , another red rose that is supposed to be fragrant and healthy is Ekstase , i've got so many roses to trial next year , Red Cross and Ekstase on my list to trial ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 2nd November 2012, 12:10

Nice pics Jordan.Australian Red Cross I notice Jordan is a slow grower ,but when it kicks on it really establishes itself with alot of blooms.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 2nd November 2012, 14:07

Nic pics, But wondering how long does the flowers last on Red Cross, a week or does it blow fast?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 2nd November 2012, 17:05

Red cross flowers last along time mine has been going for over a week already.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 2nd November 2012, 18:16

i agree danny mine its 5 th day and its lasting great ..
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd November 2012, 19:50

Maree, the Red Cross on HMF is from Meilland (France, 1994), not Australian, but a real stunner all the same. It’s Fragrant Cloud x Oklahoma. Wow, how could I’ve missed that one, I have a whole file on fragrant reds.

Dan, what year was Australian Red Cross released? Treloar don’t have it; and they’ve got an extensive range (including the 1994 French version).
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd November 2012, 21:05

Thanks Jac2 , do you have Ekstase ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 2nd November 2012, 22:13

Beautiful roses !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd November 2012, 22:51

I don’t have one, Maree, but I don’t have to look at my fragrant reds list to know that Ekstase is definitely on it. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I could send you a Pdf. copy of my list.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 14:53

Thanks Jac2 , thats okay , i have decided that Ekstase and Red Cross i will trial next year in pots along with some other roses , thanks though ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 3rd November 2012, 14:56

I have Ekstase but it has not flowered yet. It is the only one of my 16 bare rooted this year that has not flowered. Plenty of buds but just a little slower than the rest Sad
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 3rd November 2012, 15:43

Red Cross (MEIsoyris) is Fragrant Cloud x Okla? Already it's halfway home with me, if I can find it. Just read some comments on HMF. Would really love to try this one.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 17:41

Rosy , thats the same with Blackberrynip , got buds and looking healthy , just hasn't opened yet . Can you keep me updated on Ekstase progress please , thanks ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 17:48

Betsy , Ross roses have Red Cross listed as ' Red Cross , charity rose for Red Cross Australia " might be the right one .... Under Ross Roses Complete when you google it .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 3rd November 2012, 18:46

No worries Smile
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th November 2012, 05:49

6 nurseries carry "Red Cross", they are Swiss, Ross, Corporate, Melville, Treloars, and Trewallyn, hope this helps for those looking for it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 4th November 2012, 10:41

I bought mine this year Red Cross in Melb and it's from Ross in SA.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down