Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My first go at trying to strike a cutting

4 posters

Go down

My first go at trying to strike a cutting Empty My first go at trying to strike a cutting

Post by Guest 25th November 2011, 19:19

My first go at trying to strike a cutting .. Burgundy Iceberg.

Any tips?

I have used the hormone striking gel and have 2 cuttings.

Back to top Go down

My first go at trying to strike a cutting Empty Re: My first go at trying to strike a cutting

Post by Balinbear 25th November 2011, 20:47

Probably the wrong time of year for up this way. It may be ok but generally the humidity is a killer.

And try to make sure that they don't get too wet.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

My first go at trying to strike a cutting Empty Re: My first go at trying to strike a cutting

Post by Guest 25th November 2011, 20:49

How often should I water them?

What month is best to try this if this time fails?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 25th November 2011, 22:08

Winter often gives reliable results. You could also try putting your cuttings in the fruit crisper in your fridge. You wrap them in newspaper and moisten it, place it in a zip lock bag and then put it in your fruit crisper for about 3-4 weeks. It will callous and then you can pot it up and harden it off gradually. Burgundy Iceberg generally strikes easily and grows well on its on roots.

At this time of year you should try the plastic bag method. What you do is mix perlite/gravel/kitty litter (which ever you have handy) and potting mix together (50:50), moisten it and put a small amount in a large zip-lock bag. Stick the cuttings into the medium and then seal it. Place it in a cool place where it does not get any direct sunlight (or it will cook) but plenty of ambient light. To prepare the cuttings you should include the heal or cut straight through a bud. The bud contains dormant cells that become the callous and can form either roots or shoots. By cutting through a bud you expose this tissue to the soil which seems to help it get the right message. A stem that has just flowered is ideal. Stems that are yet to flower are generally too soft to strike and older ones are best left until winter. You can get roots on your cuttings this way in as little as 9 days with some varieties.

Last edited by Simon on 25th November 2011, 22:28; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25th November 2011, 22:21

Brilliant! Thank you Simon I'll definitely try that method.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 09:31

I use the ziplock bag method (in SA) from mid-November till late February (after that they won't get the 6 weeks of warm weather that many need). I cut off the bottom corners of the bag (about 1.5cm) to provide drainage, water the mix thoroughly, and let the bag drain for a couple of hours before putting the cuttings in. If at some stage there aren't any droplets on the sides of the bag (inside), you can add a little more water, but that is rarely necessary if the ziplock is sealed properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 26th November 2011, 09:36

The people who've already provided advice are genuine gurus, Tish, but don't despair about the cuttings you've already started. Before I joined any rose forums or societies, I started several own-root roses successfully just by striking cuttings as I would for any old perennial or shrub. Just be patient as the process is very slow.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 11:46

Thanks Margaret Smile

Hi Meryl, I may have to do as you suggest and leave them as I have already planted them in a pot with the hormone gel. They are in part shade so it's not too hot or cold. Do you think they will survive of I just don't over water them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 26th November 2011, 13:29

I've not had a good year striking cuttings. Its been too wet so the plastic bag method would seem be the best to avoid the wet and humidity.

Actually lately my best results appear to be just poking the cutting into the ground and forgetting about it. I am constantly supprised what I find growing.

I found a couple of 'Duke of York' ("Madam Charles") growing in amoungst some salvia. I remembered sticking them in the gorund about 2 years back when I tossed an old one that was growing nearby.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 14:07

Maybe that's what I'll do, just leave them to their own devices haha.

We haven't had rain for so long. They keep predicting storms and then nothing Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th November 2011, 15:18

If they are in a pot already you can cut the bottom off a soft-drink bottle and stick it over the top of them. Put it out of the sun and it will do the same thing as the bag. If at all possible, however, I would be adding larger particles to the mix as humid air spaces seems to be an important factor in improving strike rates.

Last edited by Simon on 26th November 2011, 17:22; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 16:46

The hormone mix?

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 26th November 2011, 16:58

Braver than me, I haven't had a go yet, but I have got some valuable info from your post. Thanks Tish and all those with the great advice Cool
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 17:08

Whoops, particles as in parts of the plant and buds etc?

And Tambralyngar - I haven't succeeded yet .. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th November 2011, 17:16

The potting mix

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 17:23

It's in a massive pot, should i cover it up more with soil? And then put the bottle over it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th November 2011, 17:39

You only have two cuttings... you can space them about 5cm apart in the pot and place the cut-off soft drink bottle over them. You can also cut the base off the bottle and place the top bit over the cuttings. That way you can unscrew the lid later on to assist in the hardening off.

This link may help you more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 17:48

Thanks Simon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 20:20

I'm no guru, just very visible because I'm editing the Heritage Roses journal for 2-3 years, and no-one can stop me writing things, hee hee hee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2011, 20:44

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down