Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

New 2011 purchases

+15
neptune
rosemeadow
Betty
sonya
Barbara B
Balinbear
larryp
The Estate
The Lazy Rosarian
Alee
RitaG
Abbi
OzRose
Meryl
Admin
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New 2011 purchases - Page 3 Empty Re: New 2011 purchases

Post by sonya 30th May 2011, 08:52

Any of the delbards range love our climate, I bought wholes range 2yrs ago this winter.And then never failed to bring a smile to my face.

About face - swanes (down side no perfume)
New Icegirl - loves it here. 5 star
Tienke
Ian Thorpe
KArdinal
Love in
Largerfield
My all time favorite Marchin Konnigan - 5 star
(strikes really well from cutting and grafts easy
Gold Medal
Guitare
Portrait
Newcastle City
Atomic Blonde
Forklore
Elina
Children Rose
I only have a few David austins, Smooth buttercup, graeme thomas, jude of obscure and a lovely old apricot DA which my mum doesnot know its name.
Parole
William Morris
FAirest Cape, very healthy but only flushes in spring here. Im a little disappointed in it.
If any one has any brindabellas they would like to trail i can buy them for $17 as long as i buy 30 I m more then happy to pass them on at this price if u pay the postage.

But i really believe Delbards version of the majority of Brindabella's roses are far superior.

Im smiling as we had rain over night and gives me a little extra time do some crossing.
Brindabella Bouquet/ Henri Matteis, and the old world pink tea i have.
trying to get a good orange rose, any suggestions on parentage of a good orange hip producer?
sonya
sonya

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-04-20

http://www.greenwoodroses.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by sonya 30th May 2011, 08:53

Woops forgot Grand Amore
sonya
sonya

Back to top Go down

Post by sonya 30th May 2011, 08:54

Im happy to send cutting of any that are not protected. And any protected as long as they are for your garden personal use i think i can send them with out upsetting anyone.
sonya
sonya

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 31st May 2011, 06:40

Sonya, do you mean the Delbards are better than Brindabellas re disease resistance etc.? I think I mentioned before I just bought my first Delbard, Paris 2000. Love the flowers to bits, but it got BS 5 minutes after I planted it. I don't spray, so time will tell if it stays.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by sonya 31st May 2011, 07:26

I think Delbards rose bar brindabella bouq are more disease resistance and vigourous. Paris does get bs here and Paul cizan the rest are pretty clean. My back yard looks healthy and full of colour from the delbards at present.
We have Joy , Brindabella Bouq, Blaze, Goldie, Yellow Tiger, Gold tiger, pink tiger, Magnifecent, sammy g, Red winner and red excel,

Bouq is vigorous, Blaze is OK rest have BS, I dont spray for it either. Parole is far better on DR then magnificent in our climate and a bigger flower.
sonya
sonya

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th June 2011, 06:56

Just a small order for me this year.

Aimee Vibert (the one I got last year is SO NOT Aimee... !! I will post it later in the What am I section. I think it's Wedding Day haha)
Gertrude Jekyll
Dainty Bess Clg
Agnes
Graham Thomas
Duchesse de Brabant
Blanc Double de Coubert
Summer Song (this kept catching my eye while I was in the UK last year)

Now, if only I could keep the grass down and give them enough food they will hopefully grow faster than some of the previous... Smile

Last edited by AutumnDamask on 10th June 2011, 12:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I can't spell sometimes ;))
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by sonya 9th June 2011, 07:03

Wedding day will grow even through the grass no water etc, very unloved and it has taken over the middle of my back yard. Time to relocate it.
sonya
sonya

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th June 2011, 07:30

sonya wrote:Wedding day will grow even through the grass no water etc, very unloved and it has taken over the middle of my back yard. Time to relocate it.

Hehe. Yeah. This is one big reason why I have this rose pegged as 'Wedding Day' - I have one a *long* way away from the house haha. The amount of growth in 12 mths...!!!
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th June 2011, 09:28

sonya, 'Apricot Passion'

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th June 2011, 10:42

As well as the ones listed in the opening thread ('Carabella', 'Purple Rain', 'Freycinet', 'Playboy', 'Borderer', and 'Golden Vision')... I have added a few more to the list and removed some too. I've removed 'Carabella' because the cuttings from Dave have struck and so I'll have about 6 plants of it (touch wood *taps head*) and replaced it with the hybrid rugosa 'Ann Hall' from MD.

So, I've added to the list from Thomas for Roses and got gigantea, 'Rosa chinensis minima', 'Dresden Doll', 'Fairy Changling', and Rosa davidii var. elongata.

Thanks to Damian, Lyn (Florist), and another online friend of mine and Dave C, there are quite a lot of freebies in teh form of cuttings that seem to be doing well as well including Rosa fedtschenkoana, Rosa arkansana, Red Magic Carpet, Orangeade, 4th of July and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head Smile

With regard to 'Wedding Day' there is another rose around that is very similar called Rosa longicuspis var. sinowilsonii that I have been distrubuting to a few people. 'Wedding Day' is meant to be a seedling of it. Here is one of the photos of mine I uploaded to HMF: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . The leaves are truly enormous as is the plant (and Bruce, I've recently noticed that it suckers too so keep an eye on the one I sent you... BTW great to see you back posting. I take it all went well?). Both 'Wedding Day' and sinowilsonii will climb your leg if you stand still long enough and have terrible thorns (but beautiful flowers and foliage... even trade IMO).

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sallybcs 9th June 2011, 21:54

I have finally made my decisions. Purchasing from Mistydowns and Treloars.
Aimee Vibert - this is my second one. The first one was left to languish in a pot and has not done so well in the ground.
Comtesse Vandal
Jean Ducher - Larry's pics did the job on me. Hopefully she will like me as much.
Mrs Dudley Cross - I am getting less fond of thorns and prickles.
Mrs Herbert Stevens - I love nodding roses. She always looks very elegant in the botanic gardens.
Pat Austin - love the colour and she struggles on quite well in my conditions.
3 x Munstead Wood - Hoping this one is as good as everyone says. William Shakespeare 2000 does surprisingly well for me, I hope this is the case with Munstead Wood as well.
Summer Memories - sucker for those very full blooms
4ft weeping Our Rose Carpet - What can I say, i don't know why I have done this, hopefully it is not a complete disaster.

sallybcs

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 27th June 2011, 18:59

Thanks to some enablers here I went to Golden Vale nursery and "rescued" some potted roses from the Closing Down Sale today.

My haul was:
Roseraie de l'Hay
Nevada
Mme Lombard
City of Benalla
Tuscany Superb
Rubens

Now I just have to figure out WHERE to put them since my Mistydowns and Treloars orders will be here in a month or so as well!!

AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 27th June 2011, 19:06

I added another three as well......

City Of Newcastle (HT)

Violina (HT)

Maurice Utrillo (Flor).....

now to get them growing for showing in October....Smile
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th June 2011, 19:28

Wendy, just send them to my place Thumbsup roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th June 2011, 20:17

Hi AD,

You have some beautiful roses in you list of 'recues'. A few notes on your acquisitions.

'Roseraie de l'Hay', 'Nevada', and 'Tuscany' will sucker wildly on their own roots. If you bury the graft on these ones they will consider that a signal to start suckering. I quite like this trait but a lot of people find it annoying. You'll need to watch out for it, however, and make allowances for it. My 'Tuscany' suckers quite profusely and I end up with about 7-8 separate suckers each season coming up a good metre away from the parent plant. The 'Nevada' plants at work are grafted and so haven't suckered but the plants are quite large, reaching about 10ft high and 6ft wide. 'RdLH' gets quite large too.

I assume by 'Rubens' you mean the Tea? It looks like a beautiful rose. Might make a good breeder too.

My first order arrived last Friday. 'Purple Rain', 'Freycinet', 'Playboy', and 'Double Knockout'. Also somehow finding their way home were 'La Sevilana', and 'Summer Memories'. I got a nice package today of cuttings from Patricia Routley in WA including 'Mrs Val Nash', 'Tarrawara', 'Alain Blanchard', and one I have not heard of before they are calling 'Wilson St Nanup'. Not sure what it is yet but is another one of the foundlings Patricia is so expert in tracking down. If you are watching, Patricia, thanks again. I can hardly wait for them to take Smile I'm particularly looking forward to 'Alain Blachard' and 'Tarrawarra' Thumbsup

Only two more orders to arrive Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 27th June 2011, 20:44

Thanks for those comments Simon. I was encouraged to plant them to cover the graft - so that they *could* strike their own roots. (Philip said they would last longer because you didn't have to worry about the graft giving out in 20 or so years time. Sounded reasonable.)
I saw 'Nevada' in the UK. Didn't perhaps realise it would get *so* big although it was about 6' high over there. Obviously pruned...!!
I'll be thinking hard about where to put them now... hmmmm
How will they handle the wind??

And yes, the 'Rubens' is the Tea. Hadn't really heard of it, was looking for Mme Lombard and Monsieur Tillier actually. (Didn't do too badly. Smile )

Dave - don't worry, I left a couple for you. Wink
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th June 2011, 20:54

A bit far to travel for some pots, will ring instead. Their email is not working.

Last edited by roseman on 27th June 2011, 20:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th June 2011, 20:19

Phillip is right... in general... but burrying the graft on those three will encourage suckering. Like I said, I don't actually mind this and do it myself too. It gives me a chane to dig them up and pass them on to friends Smile I have 'Charles de Mills', 'Tuscany' and 'Tuscany Superb' all growing together in a thicket and it is getting harder to tell which is which... I really like that. Rugosa suckering varies. I have rugosa seedlings growing own root in the garden and so far none have suckered. Meryl has a 'Frau Dagmar Hastrupp' seedling and it suckers. My FDH seedlings haven't suckered after 3 years in the ground, nor has my 'Ann Endt' seedling, or my 'Scabrosa' seedlings... pretty sure all of them will with time though. 'Tuscany' suckers like crazy. 'Tuscany Superb', which is grafted, hasn't suckered yet.

Regarding 'Nevada'... check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . I estimate the first one ot be about 10ft tall if the stake at its base is about a foot tall (guessing). It is meant to be a hybrid moyesii but the suckering and the shape of the hips suggest it is a hybrid spinossisima.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 28th June 2011, 20:49

Those pics of 'Nevada' make me think that the location I have chosen for it will be just right... (to give a bit of wind protection to a young cherry tree). It can get as big as it wants there. Smile I might not bury the graft - I think I'll let the soil gradually build up...!

RdLH - won't matter if it suckers. Very Happy

FDH - next time.... !! (It's on The List) Innocent

Just as an aside: it's feasible that a Near Death Experience will stimulate them to go suckering isn't it?
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th June 2011, 20:58

Don't know - I know when I shovel prune roses grafted to Dr Phooey the roots keep suckering for years. I've got 'Nevada' cuttings i now... am hoping it will grow into a nice big dense shrub like in the first link. I don't care if it suckers cos I will just pull them out, pot them up and pass them around.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th June 2011, 13:11

Wendy... links to MME Lombard and M. Tillier:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 29th June 2011, 21:04

Ohhhh.. very pretty. Thanks for those links Simon. Smile
Monsieur Tillier is now on The List for next time. (After I work out where to put the current lot. ooops.) Coming up Roses
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th June 2011, 06:38

If that is the price on Ebay plus $19.00 postage, it comes to $38.00, to me that makes them rather dear, surely they could be purchased from other nurseries cheaper.
The other thing I went to their site and I could not find any pricing, strange, I guess you have to ask.

Simon, I have been looking at your list of new roses, I can't find 3, Freycinet, Double Knockout, Summer Memories. Which nursery sells them.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th June 2011, 19:56

Treloar Roses do, David Thumbsup They are all on HMF.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 1st July 2011, 19:49

David,

I guess if you are only buying one rose, $38 might seem a little high, but I generally try to look for multiple roses that I'm after and buy them in batches. I just bought three roses through their Ebay shop (MME Lambard, Climbing Devoniensis, and Rosa duponitii) and it is much more economical and competitively priced that way. For instance, I bought 4 roses from Treloars, whose postage came to $15 and whose maximum price, per rose, was $17.50. This is much bigger operation and to my way of thinking, along the economies of scale lines, the difference could be much larger, if you get my drift, and I like to support the new-up-and-coming Australia specialst rose nurseries. It's all a matter of perspective isn't it Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next