Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

+19
muscovyduckling
Balinbear
rosebud
dannyboy
silkyfizz
Happy roses
AutumnDamask
Bonita18
neptune
maree
RosyTeesh
Alee
The Lazy Rosarian
Carole
Ozeboy
Meryl
rosemeadow
Ausrose
Admin
23 posters

Page 24 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF - Page 24 Empty Re: List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

Post by neptune 31st January 2015, 09:54

Happy roses wrote: I can't seem to keep my Red Intuition under 8ft, how far can I cut it down during the summer months?

any size you want....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF - Page 24 Empty Re: List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

Post by Balinbear 31st January 2015, 10:46

Happy roses wrote:I can't seem to keep my Red Intuition under 8ft, how far can I cut it down during the summer months?

We have found that in SE QLD you can prune your roses anytime of year. We are going to do medium prune in early April as we have a garden club visit late in May. We have done this before and the roses have responded well.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 31st January 2015, 11:37

Doug, I'm so pleased to hear you are working on a no spray system. Those rotten sprays effect ones immune system letting in some of the silent killers.

I admire the roses on exhibition at the Royal and know how much time and knowledge goes into benching perfect blooms. I'd have a go myself except for no artistic talent and not prepared to devote the time.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 31st January 2015, 23:30

Unfortunately to get the roses to the stage they are on the bench at the Sydney Royal Easter Show one has to use many and varied chemical sprays or an exhibitor is wasting his/her time. So to become an exhibitor you have to take risks with your health. It is quite a dilemma.

On the topic of the show bench I am extremely elated to see the number of entries in the Australian bred sections at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. Not all that long ago it was a forgotten class but these days there are many and varied entries in the two classes.

Last edited by Ausrose on 1st February 2015, 04:50; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st February 2015, 04:15

The AQ and I originally met Governor Marie Bashir when she and I organised to have a rose named Governor Macquarie for Windsor Council. After this  the Governor graciously put on a Governor's Reception for the Rose Society of NSW Inc. as part of the societies centenary celebrations. The AQ became more  than impressed with Her Excellency when she had contact with her and became aware of what she brought to her role as Governor of NSW.

Along the way The AQ became found out that the Governor loved roses so when it came time for Her Excellency to retire the AQ became passionate that a rose should named after this wonderful woman.

The AQ approached her good friend and rose breeder Paul Hains  and asked him would he like to name one of his roses after Her Excellency. Paul was happy to oblige and he suggested the AQ look at a feminine pink floribunda that was currently being trialled by Swanes. The AQ had seen and fallen in love with the rose on the Gold Coast when I was giving a talk on Australian bred roses back in 2012 to the Gold Coast Rose Society so she was delighted with the offer. Paul gave the AQ a bush of the rose as a sample.

The AQ contacted Her Excellency's office and outlined her idea. After a short time Her  Excellency rang the AQ and said she would be honoured to have a rose named relating to her governorship so the proposed name became Governor Marie Bashir.

Paul contacted Finbarr at Swanes and Swanes came on board to grow, market and sell the rose. It is anticipated the rose will go on sale in October. Royalties from the rose will go to a charity yet to be selected by Dame Marie. At this stage the AQ is working on an official launch that will take place  sometime between now and October. Information on the rose was sent to be registered and last week it was decided to release information on the rose on the Internet.

Last edited by Ausrose on 2nd February 2015, 10:10; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2015, 05:15

Hi Happy,
Let me say in the first instance you must be doing something right if your bush of Red Intuition is so tall. Instead of me giving you advice I would suggest you Google "Summer Prune Roses" and you find all you need to know.

On my favourite topic of Australian bred roses do you grow any if you do would it be possible to list them. This is for a research project I am conducting on the popularity of Australian bred roses.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 2nd February 2015, 09:37

Ausrose wrote:Hi Happy,
Let me say in the first instance you must be doing something right if your bush of Red Intuition is so tall. Instead of me giving you advice I would suggest you Google "Summer Prune Roses" and you find all you need to know.

On my favourite topic of Australian bred roses do you grow any if you do would it be possible to list them. This is for a research project I am conducting on the popularity of Australian bred roses.

Thanks for the info guys.
Ausrose firstly, that is a great story, and please keep us posted on how AQ's sample progresses. Sorry to say I don't have many roses and none of them Australian, unless Avner's Hope is I don't know. I have been following this topic with interest as I am happy to purchase Australian bred roses and the information here has been valuable. It also becomes dependant on what becomes available at my local nursery too.

As for Red Int. I have no idea why the thing is growing like a weed, it doesn't get any special treatment but I am pleased.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2015, 10:09

Happy in for what ever reason (there are many theories) some individual specimens are vigorous growers and grow much bigger than the average size for the cultivar while other individual bushes are stunted. Sometimes if the stunted rose is moved to another spot in the garden or a pot it will pick up but a lot of the time moving hasn't any effect. One thing I would suggest however is never move a rose from a spot that it is doing well as it can change the characteristics of the rose for the worst. I know of a case whereby a plant of the miniature Figurine was moved that was providing an abundant supply of quality blooms for the show bench and it never performed at the previous high level again.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2015, 10:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 2nd February 2015, 10:18

Ausrose wrote:Hi Happy,
Let me say in the first instance you must be doing something right if your bush of Red Intuition is so tall.

My Red Intuition is not as tall , but coming in at seven feet eight inches and the Firefight has lifted up her kneecaps and is coming in at nine feet four inches and the buds aren't showing yet, so it is getting taller again.....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 2nd February 2015, 10:21

Nice picky , Doug....I would be interested to see how it performs over here......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 2nd February 2015, 10:34

I have made the mistake of moving a rose that was doing well only to watch it sadly decline afterwards.
Firefighter is a beautiful rose, but I would like to ask how Governor Macquarie does as a cut flower, as I do like cutting flowers to bring inside.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2015, 19:50

Happy Governor Macquarie(Grant) is a good all round rose reasonably disease resistant, grows well, can produce a fine exhibition bloom and is a good cut flower.  Crying or Very sad I wasn't able to find Avener's Hope in Modern Rose 12 so it would appear it isn't a registered rose.

John I feel  Flemington Racecourse(Grant) on fortuniana rootstock would be a winner. Using the rose as an show rose in the floribunda class you have to be very careful as if it is left to long in the direct sun the blooms can fade.

Last edited by Ausrose on 3rd February 2015, 15:03; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd February 2015, 06:47

Has anyone worked out how to ship budwood(legally) to WA. I would think whoever is propagating it for sale would have the the know how and the correct procedures in place to do this.
Doug, did you mention somewhere who is propagating this ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 3rd February 2015, 15:06

Flemington Racecourse (Chapman) is sold by Ross Roses.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd February 2015, 18:38

John, do you know the quarantine facts on budwood to WA ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 6th February 2015, 15:43

Doug, I recently read the people voting for the best Aussie Rose won by Flemington Race Course were a select group who to use their words had grown an Australian bred rose. Possibly a misprint for you advised me they were all experts capable of walking on water strewn with rose petals.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th February 2015, 16:48

You misunderstood me Bruce as they were all experts capable of walking on water strewn with rose petals during a full moon.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th February 2015, 17:16

Well said Doug
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th February 2015, 19:25

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:John, do you know the quarantine facts on budwood to WA ?

sorry I didn't see this earlier......to answer your question...... answer would be no and I have not pursue it ...but having said that, it just might be an exercise to follow thru on......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th February 2015, 07:01

neptune wrote:
The Lazy Rosarian wrote:John, do you know the quarantine facts on budwood to WA ?

sorry I didn't see this earlier......to answer your question...... answer would be no and I have not pursue it ...but having said that, it just might be an exercise to follow thru on......

If you contact your Dept of Ag, they should be able tell you the conditions of transfer from NSW to you. I am thinking that a stem of Flemington Racecourse(Chapman) could be sent without any quarantine restrictions.

After thinking about this I have looked at the WA AG site and it is not really user friendly so I popped off an email to them.

Last edited by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th February 2015, 07:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 7th February 2015, 12:36

Doug, your contribution to Heritage Roses Summer 2014 from the Australian Rose Annual answers most of my questions. The people who had a vote were all exhibitors and judges who had one or more Aussie's growing. Yes! they do water walk in the moonlight when not out spraying their roses. I have the utmost respect for this group trying to exhibit less than healthy roses in perfect condition. However the results would have been more convincing had a few from other areas of rose growing been invited to vote.

David, Doug is big and strong enough to look after himself he doesn't need a parrot repeating everything he says. No malaise intended just an observation.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th February 2015, 14:22

Bruce I would suggest you take a Bex and have a lie down.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th February 2015, 12:34

Doug, Bex killed half the population back in the 1960's to 80's so will not be following your advice, but thanks anyway.

All frivolity aside, I want to make everyone aware of the dangers of spraying gardens and crops. Our area consisted mainly of orchards and nurseries. Cut flowers were grown in Igloos and exported to numerous countries. My wife had regular contact with these people in the area of health care. She noticed the incidence of cancer was much higher in this group. We watched some of our friends pass on knowing nothing could be done for them except ease the pain. One high profile rose nurseryman you would probably know said "If I ever had my time over again I would never use sprays again".

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 13th February 2015, 10:28

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Latest photo of the Australian bred bed I put in last year. It is about to have a prune. The huge orange roses in the background are the Laurie Newman bred China Sunrise which he actually planted for me.

The smaller red rose in the centre of the photo is Red Gem(Chapman) - one of the truly good minifloras.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next