Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!

4 posters

Go down

Newbie to roses and forums for that matter! Empty Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!

Post by Steph 26th June 2018, 09:25

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests this is my first foray into both forums and owning/growing roses.

I live just outside of Brisbane city, in a rental atm and am wanting up to 6 strongly fragrant rose bushes to be grown in pots.

I'm looking for advice on the best type/s of rose.. for the climate, potting and vase display.
Roses that are resilient to humidity of course. Being potted I'm envisaging being able to move them out of the rain or burning sun if need be.

My colour palette will be whites, creams, pinks and of course a drop dead gorgeous blue-red! I'm not keen on oranges and yellow.... Smile

Thanks in advance for your advice and sharing.
Stephanie.

Steph

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-06-26

Back to top Go down

Newbie to roses and forums for that matter! Empty Re: Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!

Post by neptune 26th June 2018, 17:58

First of all...… Welcome to the group.......

Secondly.....Gary "Balinbear" lives in Queensland and would be able to give you the best advice.......

Happy planting....

neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Newbie to roses and forums for that matter! Empty Re: Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th June 2018, 20:26

Hi and welcome Steph, I am on holidays at present and am in England, not a lot of access to computers, but will reply as time permits.
As Neptune/John has mentioned Gary/Balinbear is the one to correspond with as he is in Qld as well.
My input at present is do you want fragrance, single headed roses, which are Hybrid Tea, multi head, which are floribunda
regards David/the lazy rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 28th June 2018, 09:18

Hi Steph

I have never really grown roses in pots so I am by no way an expert. I do grow a lot of roses and have thrown away a lot of roses because of the work involved in maintaining them.

We have probably 400 roses growing at our place but we have a big garden so to mollycoddle them would not be possible so we grow older varieties that seem to be able to take the humidity etc without the need to spray them.

If you are limited to a few in pots then it would not be such an impost to spray and feed them so if you are after perfume try some of the David Austins. Some of the newer varieties are a bit more resistant to disease.

There are also quite a few other varieties available that do not need so much spraying and have a decent perfume as well. Have a look at the Treloars Roses site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as they have a lot of the newer varieties. There are also plenty of others around Australia that stock the different varieties.

In saying all of that I did see one of our favourite Teas Comtesse de Labarthe (bred in France in 1857 but also sold in Queensland as the Montville Rose) (have a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] growing in a large pot and it looked magnificent.  This rose can handle being pruned and it appears to do well from it. In fact I might go out an put one of our cutting grown ones in a pot right now.

Have fun.

PS my avatar is a Comtesse de Labarthe
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:32

Thanks Gary for your valuable input and funnily enough the ONLY rose I've noted myself as one I want is indeed the Comtesse de Labarthe... just haven't found one yet online :-)

Steph

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Hi and welcome Steph, I am on holidays at present and am in England, not a lot of access to computers, but will reply as time permits.
As Neptune/John has mentioned Gary/Balinbear is the one to correspond with as he is in Qld as well.
My input at present is do you want fragrance, single headed roses, which are Hybrid Tea, multi head, which are floribunda
regards David/the lazy rosarian

Ahh great questions David! They've sent me to Dr. Google to find out !!

Steph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down