Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses? Empty Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses?

Post by Admin 1st January 2010, 22:06

Robert Peden and his Wife run (or ran???) a rose nursery called Otway Roses in Vic... they also hybridised a lot of roses. The list is a list of the roses bred and released by Mr Peden:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anyone know anything about any of these roses?

I was trying to work out where to put this query... then had an idea Idea How do you think a category for Australian Roses would go?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses? Empty Re: Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses?

Post by Ozeboy 2nd January 2010, 06:45

Australian bred rose category would be great. I am looking at collecting them and have located a few held by a local nursery.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses? Empty Re: Anyone know anything about Otway Roses bred roses?

Post by Ozeboy 3rd January 2010, 07:52

Megan Louise HT , is one to start off with. That will be one of the first in my collection.

Margaret sent me a marvellous found pink HT that I think is better than Sylvia. Will have to see if it fits into the Australian category.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd January 2010, 10:31

The Otway roses are too recent to be in Peter Cox's book ("Australian Roses", Bloomings Books, 1999 ISBN 1 876473 02 9). I don't know them at all. Ross Roses in SA are focussing on Aus breeders (mainly contemporary), instead of new imports; I hope the gamble pays off. What people buy is heavily affected by the media gardening gurus, and in general they haven't been over-helpful about Aus-breds or heritage roses. Iceberg is a great rose and Pierre de Ronsard isn't bad, but not as monocultures.

Last edited by Margaret on 3rd January 2010, 10:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 3rd January 2010, 10:42

I've looked through that book in the past too and have not noticed them... I might contact them and see if they'd like to tell us more about them Smile

BTW... if anyone is after a copy of the book Margaret mentioned there is one going for $20 (free postage from the U.K. here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th January 2010, 22:58

Contact details:

Otway Roses
450 Wormbete Station Rd,
Wensleydale, VIC 3241
p: (03) 5288 7382

Will ring them tomorrow and have a chat if I get a little spare time.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th January 2010, 23:48

The Australian bred forum sounds good ! We could also put our own rose creations on here after they have been tested etc,. and are good enough to be propagated.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st January 2010, 00:20

Margaret wrote:The Otway roses are too recent to be in Peter Cox's book ("Australian Roses", Bloomings Books, 1999 ISBN 1 876473 02 9)

However, it is interesting to note that in the Acknowledgements of this book (page viii) Otway Rose Nursery is mentioned as a location where many of the photographs were taken... the book was published in 1999 and the earliest of the Otway roses listed was bred in 1991 and released in 1994... so strange the Peden's weren't listed...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down