Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

+19
muscovyduckling
Balinbear
rosebud
dannyboy
silkyfizz
Happy roses
AutumnDamask
Bonita18
neptune
maree
RosyTeesh
Alee
The Lazy Rosarian
Carole
Ozeboy
Meryl
rosemeadow
Ausrose
Admin
23 posters

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next

Go down

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF - Page 3 Empty Re: List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

Post by Ozeboy 15th October 2012, 09:54

Doug, I'm looking for Colfax, William's Son and Starscent if you or anyone can help.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF - Page 3 Empty Re: List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF

Post by Ozeboy 15th October 2012, 09:57

Congratulations Richard Walsh for breeding '100 Not Out', I'll buy it from Swanes in 2013

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 15th October 2012, 10:11

Hi Bruce

I am just wondering whether you will be at the Sydney Regional Rose Society Show on Saturday at Swanes. If so you might bring those two Pink Angel roses you budded for me.

As far as the three roses you mention William's Son will be easy to pick up its just a matter of finding out where. The other two I have been pursuing for some time with little success.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th October 2012, 18:38

Yes Doug, I'll be there. Do you want me to bring along the two 'Pink Angel' or do you still wish to call? I'll even mow my weeds ready for you and check the coffee making ingredients if you want to visit.

The roses we have mentioned above all fall into the " Easy to pick up but where category"?

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 17th November 2012, 22:28

Last weekend I found the rose Lisa Colfax at the Victorian State Rose Garden at Werribee .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th November 2012, 11:08

Doug, that's a very good find, keep on the trail, I'd really like to have this Aussie.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 18th November 2012, 18:55

I LOVE HER! Which Aussie bred that one?

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 18th November 2012, 19:21

According to HMF it was Marguerite Parkes; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th November 2012, 23:51

Marguerite Parkes is now in her 90's . She has bred some very nice roses of which I am a collecter straitght from her garden.
Nothing quite like going back to the originals for buds. I don't have 'Lisa Colfax' or 'Star Scent' so Dougs find is very good news.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 25th November 2012, 22:29

Australian bred roses on show at the Victoria State Garden in Werribee are:-Alistair Clark, Allen Brundrett, Angela Rose Taylo,r April Hamer, Australian Beauty, Australian Bicentennial, Australian Sunrise, Betty, Borderer, Brisbane Blush, Carabella, China Sunrise, Claret Cup, Countrywoman, Cousin Essie, Eliza, Dorothy, Evening Glow, Fintona, Governor Macquarie, Howard Florey, Iced Parfait, Ida Elizabeth, Imp, In The Pink, Kwinana, Lady Huntingfield, Lady Medallist, Let's Celebrate, Light Touch, Lisa Colefax, Lorraine Lee, Mariandel 92, Marjorie Atherton, Marjory Palmer, Mary Guthrie, Minnie Watson, Miss All Australian Beauty, Miss Marion Manifold, Our Rosamund, Penelope, Peter Benjamin, Rae Dungan, Rod Beechey, Shadow,Squatter's Dream, Suitor, Sunlit, Sunny South, Suzon Lotthe, Sybil Hipkin, Tarrawarra, Titian, Valerie June, Victoria Gold,Warrawee, Water Music, Woman's Day.

Ida Elizabeth (Welsh)

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 25th November 2012, 23:02

Quiet a lot there , doug. Good to see that the Aussie ones are on show....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 26th November 2012, 06:56

Hi John

Recently I researched Australian bred roses available in WA and found:- Swiss Nursery Alicia Courage, April Hamer, Headline, Imp, Lady Phelia, Rod Stillman, Peter Benjamin, Titian. Roworths Nursery Allen Brundrette, Headline, Imp, Our Rosamond, Rae Dungan, Rod Stillman, Woman’s Day. Melville Nurseries Black Boy, Borderer, Lorraine Lee, Victoria Gold.

For exhibitors I would recommend April Hamer and Our Rosamond as exhibition blooms also Imp and Victoria Gold that have had success in the classes for floribundas in the Eastern states.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th November 2012, 17:08

Ausrose, I have a few hoping to keep the dream alive, these are:-

Accolade, April Hamer, Argosy, Black Boy, Brisbane Blush, Carabella,
Chameleon, Chips Apple blossom, Cecily Lascelles, Claret Cup,
Country Woman, Cousin Essie, Editor Stuart, Esmeralda, Ethel Dawson
Fraser Mclay, Gay Vista, Golden Dawn, Headline, Jenny Brown, Kates Rose,
Kooiana Daybreak, Kwinana, Lady Edgeworth David, Lady Huntingfield,
Lady Mann, Lady Woodward, Lorraine Lee, Lorraine Lee Clg, Lubra,
Megan Louise, Mrs Fred Danks, Nellie Neil, Our Rosamund, Pink Angel, Red Nella, Restless, Shadow, Sharon Louise, Tania Verstack, Titian,
Waltzing Matilda, Zara Hore Ruthven, Williams Rose.

There would be another 10 or 12 I just can't recall at the moment.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th November 2012, 05:38

Whats 'Golden Dawn' like Bruce as a rose Question
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th November 2012, 13:16

David , it's not very good here on the coast , I think it is a collectors rose. However it may be OK up there with you. The humidity reading is 99% today without a breath of wind.

I keep it just because of it's age, history and wouldn't like to see it die out or lost forever.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 28th November 2012, 17:22

In 2010 the George Dawson floribunda won grand champion at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 28th November 2012, 19:16

Its a lovely rose......George would have been proud....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th November 2012, 09:10

In recent years there has been a battle royal going on between Imp (Dawson), Joyce Abounding(Chapman) and Flemington Racecourse (Chapman) for the title of the most awarded Australian bred rose in NSW. Originally Imp had the upper hand but at present Joyce Abounding is the most dominant.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 27th December 2012, 05:09

Another Dr Bruce Chapman rose that is gaining popularity is the exhibition bloom Melbourne Town.I would rate it along with Governor Macquarie (Grant) and Our Rosamond (Bell) as the best of the Australian bred exhibition blooms. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Melbourne Town (Chapman)

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th January 2013, 07:04

Glynis Hayne President National Rose Society of Australia
"On Australia Day we come together as a nation to celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. It's the day to reflect on what we have achieved and what we can be proud of in our great nation. It's the day for us to re-commit to making Australia an even better place for the future.
For rosarians Australia Day is a great time to make a commitment to purchase Australian bred roses in the coming season. Below are catalogued Australian bred roses from three of our leading nurseries. For many years our Australian bred roses have played second fiddle to the imports and as recent show results in NSW and Victoria have shown Australian bred roses are equal to any of the imports on the show bench and being bred locally they perform better in the harsh Australian garden conditions than the imports."

Ross Roses
65 Roses, Alicia Courage, Amazing Grace, Australia Fair, Community Banquet, Crown Princess Mary, Deane Ross, Flemington Racecourse, Flinders, Heart Of Gold, Howard Florey, International Gold, Judy's Song, Just Brilliant, Kilbreda, Lady Phelia, Loreto College, Loves Gift, Magic Moments, Mawson, Marnie Louise, Melbourne Town, Mrs Mary Thomson, Myrna Courage, Onkaparinga, Philadelphia, Pink Cavalier, Red Cavalier, Salvation, Society Belle, Soft Bouquet, Special Bond, St Francis Xaviour, St Johns Rose, Tapestry, Thankyou, The Archbishop, Valour, Wildfire.

Reliable Roses
Alister Clark, Annie’s Song, April Hamer, Black Boy, “China Sunrise”, Cicely Lascelles, Cl. Helen Traubel, Cl. Shot Silk, Cl. White Maman Cochet, Claret Cup, Cousin Essie, Daydream, Gay Vista, Great Venture, Headline, Iced Parfait, Jenny Brown, Kitty Kininmonth, Lorraine Lee, Marjorie Atherton, Marjory Palmer, Mary Delahunty, Mary Guthrie, Minnie Watson, Mrs. Fred Danks, Nancy Hayward, Our Rosamond, Peter Benjamin, Rae Dungan, Ringlet, Shadow, Sunlit, Titian.

Thomas for Roses
April Hamer, Brisbane Blush, Collegiate Pride, Country Women, Dawson’s Delight, Jeanette Murray, Karen Julie, La Stupenda, Megan Louise, Mrs Dunlop Best, Mrs Mary Thompson, Our Rosamond, Peter Benjamin, Pride of Mt Barker, Rae Dungan, Red Nella, Shadow, Shelly, Tania Verstak, Tapestry, Waltzing Matilda, Warrawee, Annies Song, Iced Parfait, Imp, In the Pink, Susan Irvine, Linda Thompson, Victoria Gold, Tracey Wickham and forty-one Alister Clark Roses.
Loves Gift (Thomson)

Last edited by Ausrose on 15th January 2013, 21:07; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 6th January 2013, 11:53

Would everyone do the Australian rose breeders a big favour and phone or Email Finbarr about what Australian roses Swanes will be showcasing to celebrate Australia Day?

Though we are grateful for them importing some of the best overseas roses I believe they should have an Australian exhibit leading up to the 25th January.

Swanes have some very nice Aussies but would really like to see them grouped with appropriate signage. We must keep the dream alive.

Apart from the above it's bl#*dy good merchandising.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th January 2013, 11:59

Bruce unless you are talking of potted roses with the Australian bred mark on them, who in the general public would know. Also they would have to be in flower, this is what the general public buy
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 6th January 2013, 12:45

David I'm talking about all of that. Big overhead sign with map of Australia complete with Kangeroo, Australia stickers on pots,
lucky prize of an Australian bred rose for all purchasers of Aussies.
Group all the Aussies together to make a big Australia day impact.

Finbarr as an old retail store manager for Coles and numerous other promotions I would come and merchandise Aussies for you free. Warning, I'm pretty good at spending other peoples money.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th January 2013, 13:38

It is a been slow process to get the acceptance of Aussies however it is gaining momentum. I like your idea Bruce. In Victoria during their state championships that were held in conjunction with Australian Championship the promotion of Australian bred roses was excellent. If you look on pages 10 and 19 of the December issue of NSW Rose you will see what I mean. For those who follow this forum and would like an electronic copy of the December NSW Rose just email [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and request the same and it will be sent to you asap.One promotional strategy I introduced to NSW some years back was to have an Australian flag on any vase of Australian bred roses and that concept is spreading throughout the other Australia states. The next step is to have the various Agricultural Shows introduce an Australian bred class in their rose show schedules. I am working on that at present.

Last edited by Ausrose on 15th January 2013, 21:08; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2013, 14:24

Ausrose wrote:It is a been slow process to get the acceptance of Aussies however it is gaining momentum. .

At the moment I am not holding my breath. I am sending bud wood to Europe come their spring and 30 cultivars to China each year for the next 5 years . It should be here but I am tired of false promises all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next