Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear!

+3
neptune
silkyfizz
RosyTeesh
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear! Empty Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear!

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd December 2012, 20:00

I have no photos at present .. Something is making tiny holes in my roses. Mostly the actual roses (not so much the leaves) when they open up they have all these tiny holes through them! I read this could be slugs of some kind under the leaves? Also big brown bugs that smell when I cut them in half are devouring roses .. Can these beasts all be killed by potent rose spray? As you all know I hate poison but they are ruining my roses!!!!!

Last edited by RosyTeesh on 23rd December 2012, 13:40; edited 1 time in total
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear! Empty Re: Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear!

Post by silkyfizz 22nd December 2012, 20:39

No idea Rosy so I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people to help. But I wish you well, nothing worse than waiting for beauties only to see them ruined.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear! Empty Re: Just when I get rid of aphids.. Holes and bugs appear!

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd December 2012, 20:39

Thank you Sad
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd December 2012, 20:53

can you look closely inside one of these holey buds and with camera ready and see if you can see any crawlies or very small worms....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 22nd December 2012, 21:27

I've got something chomping on all the leaves. Sad Dunno what.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd December 2012, 21:29

How small Neptune? I have seen 1/2cm grub like things they're light green.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd December 2012, 21:35

I found a couple of tiny little worms on some of my immature buds. I looked closely as I could see new red leaves looked a bit mangled and stuck together and then tracked to buds. Squished em before they did much damage but I check carefully now.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd December 2012, 21:42

sounds like both of you young ladies might have small baby caterpillars.....but they do grow up to be beautiful butterflys...
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd December 2012, 21:44

I wonder why there were so many lovely butterflies in the garden lately haha. I haven't seen anything worm like Neptune, but could you describe them to me and I will check tomorrow?
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd December 2012, 21:55

color various, but think of a very small caterpillar or anything else that creeping around there
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd December 2012, 22:02

I have seen heaps of teeny tiny caterpillars, green ones, but not for a while. So I am worried it could be something else. I will have a good look tomorrow and check it out. Just when I thought I had no more bugs grrrr
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 23rd December 2012, 00:01

Yes I have noticed so many butterflies in the garden recently. Many wanderers and beautiful swallowtails (they use the lemon tree for their life cycle) but I can recognise their caterpillars. These little wormy things feeding on emerging rose buds are different. Also saw 2 young praying mantis today so I'm happy there's some natural balance happening. Makes the organic approach worthwhile.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 23rd December 2012, 08:22

Silky and Rosy , if you go to Bunnings special orders you can order in natural predators from the Eco range and release them , i haven't had to do it yet , haven't had any real problems so far , except for ear wigs , they are called Backyard Buddies natural pest control from eco organic garden ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 23rd December 2012, 09:51

Thanks Maree I think ill look into that?
Neptune - Can't see any worms, but I can see teeny tiny poos on some of the roses. Does that help? Lol
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 23rd December 2012, 10:09

Can also see tiny brown caterpillars grrrr
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd December 2012, 13:10

or go to Bunnings and get some Dipel and spray the roses.......this stuff is like if you were to swallow it won't do you any harm
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd December 2012, 13:14

This is the "bug" that is in it, completely good.
Bacillus
thuringiensis, subsp. Kurstaki.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd December 2012, 13:21

I wonder what you were saying there Dave......now I know..... Smile

Yates Nature’s Way Caterpillar Killer contains Dipel (Bacillus thuringiensis), a naturally occurring bacteria. Dipel does not kill caterpillars immediately. Once a caterpillar eats treated foliage, it stops eating, but may take up to 3-4 days to die and drop from the leaf.

Yates Nature’s Way products are based on natural, low toxic & organic ingredients that are Eco Friendly for you & your Garden. To help protect and repair our environment, we donate a percentage of sales to Landcare.

Features
LOW TOXIC solution
Controls Armyworm, cotton bollworm, native budworm (Helicoverpa sp), cabbage moth caterpillars, cabbage white butterfly caterpillars, green looper, lightbrown apple moth caterpillars, pear looper, vine moth caterpillars, soybean looper, tobacco looper.
Can be used on vegetables, fruits, vines, herbs, ornamental shrubs, flowers & trees.
Safe for bees, ladybirds, birds, fish, mammals & pets
Perfect for use in organic gardens
Contains 5 X 10g handy sized sachets

Ingredients

Active: 4320 INTERNATIONAL UNITS OF POTENCY PER MG OF BACILLUS THURINGIENSIS var. KURSTAKI
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd December 2012, 13:33

It's Christmas
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd December 2012, 13:40

"Really"....I hadn't noticed...Smile
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd December 2012, 13:42

As it appears to that time of year I guess we can be silly and post anything.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd December 2012, 13:45

I suppose we can as we don't want to "Off Topic" the "Boss"... Thumbsup
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 23rd December 2012, 13:45

My husband ended up buying yates rose spray this morning, should I take this back and get the one that you suggested? I have not sprayed them yet.

I killed a couple of them but I am sure there will be many more of the buggers!

They have done pretty well to not be too infested the past few months since I have only used eucalyptus oil mixed with water on them. At least there are no more aphids! Haha.

Also, off rose topics.. I have found some wood boring insects in some of the wood on our patio that needs replacing. I have sprayed them with bug spray but they keep coming back .. Any idea what I can use for these? Our house is brick so the house is ok thank goodness. Should I start a new thread?
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd December 2012, 13:49

No it's Christmas. They are not little ants that look white are they scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 23rd December 2012, 14:10

They're black with wings. Some look like siricod wasps and some are smaller and black with wings. Two types! I can actually see them boring holes and all the sawdust coming out. I am a little worried about the house now I am reading things. Some of the wood in these 2 poles is rotten up the top and they seem to only be in those. We have replacement ones in the garage just haven't gotten there yet Sad
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next