Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Aphids - They Are Everywhere !!

3 posters

Go down

Aphids - They Are Everywhere !! Empty Aphids - They Are Everywhere !!

Post by Guest 4th June 2009, 18:40

... was wondering if anyone elses roses are infested, mine are all covered with the last of the new bubs that will probably not open anyway and if they do will rot Sad I have not bothered spraying being so close to pruning time, what are your thoughts ......

Back to top Go down

Aphids - They Are Everywhere !! Empty Re: Aphids - They Are Everywhere !!

Post by Admin 4th June 2009, 19:15

Send 'em down here TheE. We'll make Aphidsicles out of them Wink

On a more serious note... consider this TheE:

Life History -The entire life cycle may be spent on one host plant. Reproduction is by birth of live young throughout the growing season. In late fall, a generation of males and females is produced. These mate, and females then lay eggs on the rose canes. The eggs are the overwintering form. In spring as new growth resumes, the eggs hatch and the tiny nymphs begin to feed.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (NC state university)

Wanna know something really interesting about aphids? From spring to autumn females reproduce asexually (i.e. without a male) and give birth to live young that are female clones of themselves. This is known as parthenogenisis and allows a species to quickly colonise new territory (like fresh new rose growth), without the need to find mates etc. Then in autumn aphids produce a 'crop' of males allowing them to reproduce sexually in preparation for the coming winter when the fertilised females will lay their eggs on the rose canes where they will survive the winter and be ready to hatch in spring to wreak havoc on our roses with a fresh onslaught from a new generation of aphids, who then start the process again... attack of the clone army style! The key to controlling any pest or disease is to understand its lifecycle and pick a point in it where you might be able to disrupt it. There is no point really attacking aphids during the warmer months because if you miss just one female she will be able to clone herself a million times (exaggerating for dramatic license lol) again in no time at all but if I wanted to pick a time when the aphid army was at its most vulnerable I would choose NOW when they are busy getting funky aphid style to lay their eggs because the winter will kill them off. If there is no eggs then there will be fewer aphids come spring . They can, of course, fly and you will get new recruits from next door etc but it would be a good time to put a dent in their local number now and reduce the recruitment for next spring. Then... if it was me... with numbers now greatly reduced, I would then look into more environmentally friendly methods of control... like biological control (did you know you can actually buy batches of lady beetles???? I didn't know that until recently lol!). Keep in mind that it has been shown that aphids dislodged from their host plant will rarely find their way back onto it and will die in the process of trying so a good blast with a strong jet of water is a clean way to deal with the problem.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th June 2009, 21:13

Shocked I just had a sex education lesson LOL, I think I need to get kenny out affraid lol! or my sprayer Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 21st May 2010, 21:17

Hello Guest, You are right , they are everywhere on every new growth.
Have been hosing them off but left one bed for observation. The Preditor Wasps are starting to take hold so will keep cuttings with their cacoons on
them in storage until next year. Will put them out first week of September and see if I can build up their numbers early.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 30th May 2010, 23:51

Very interesting Simon. How wierd, complexed.amazing and beautiful is nature.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down