Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Ebb Tide Pollen

5 posters

Go down

Ebb Tide Pollen Empty Ebb Tide Pollen

Post by Admin 3rd October 2008, 21:44

Wondering if someone with 'Ebb Tide' could send me some pollen? I want to use it in a cross so what you would have to do is choose two new flowers, just open that day, and cut them off with about 5cm of flower stalk. Remove the petals being careful not to shake the flower around, and pop the whole thing into a zip lock bag storing it in a dark dry place. Then PM me Smile and I'll send you my postage details. I will reimburse (by direct deposit) the postage. Cool

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Ebb Tide Pollen Empty Re: Ebb Tide Pollen

Post by Guest 7th December 2008, 17:14

I can Tas, I have 2 of those roses now !!

One of my entries in the last show, DAMM never got a place in this one Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th December 2008, 00:14

Excellent TheE, I'll PM you cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th December 2008, 16:56

I would be glad to send you some but somebody cut all the flowers off, she thought it would make a lovely vase. She liked it so much I had to go out and buy her one. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing :lol:One of the best new Roses to come out for some time. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th December 2008, 17:12

No worries MW... I agree though on it being one of the best new roses to come out for ages. I am a member of the Rose Hyridisers Association and the American members are raving about a rose called 'Midnight Blue' which is proving fertile as both a pollen parent and a seed parent and is producing some excellent progeny. If you look up 'Midnight Blue' and 'Ebb Tide' on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and compare their lineages they are identical so I asked the question on the RHA forum whether anyone had used 'Ebb Tide' in the say way as 'Midnight Blue' and the response was very positive saying that it breeds almost the same as 'Midnight Blue' and is a very very worthy hybridising subject. With this in mind I am hoping to use it for three purposes; to make double deep purple rugosa roses (that's this year's goal), to make very double deep purple miniatures, and lastly to try for some long stemmed glasshouse type roses in deep purple for the cut flower trade. I am thinking of putting 'Ebb Tide' onto 'Kardinal' for the cut flower cross because 'Kardinal' is such a great all-round rose with excellent blooms for cutting and until recently chances were that if you bought a bunch of red roses at a florist it would have been 'Kardinal'. I haven't seen any for sale down here in Tas yet and Swanes wants an ENORMOUS amount to post them down here (something like $40-$45 to post a single plant Rolling Eyes ) so I have to try and get it some other way. I was thinking of asking if someone might be able to send me down some bud-wood so I could graft my own onto some of my multiflora plants but pollen is much easier to collect and post without the added quarantine issues that cuttings have. I will have to try and get a plant eventually because if these pollinations work I will need to do additional crosses to develop lines further but for now the pollen will be a great start.

Last edited by TasV on 9th December 2008, 18:49; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th December 2008, 17:33

I have kardinal Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th December 2008, 18:57

I think you should definately try some pollinations of your own then too TheE. Looking at HMF Kardinal has quite a lot of descendants and is used both as a seed parent and a pollen parent. You'll just have to resist the urge to dead-head as much Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 9th December 2008, 20:02

I have Ebb Tide too, I'll watch out for some pollen for you. I'm afraid I'm a keen dead-header but if you get the pollen from newly open flowers there's a chance there'll be some in the next flush.
Val

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 12th December 2008, 21:47

I have Kardinal too Tas. I can post you some bud wood if you want it. I can also post you some rooted multiflora if you want it and you think it will be clean enough.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 12th December 2008, 22:00

I have two large plants of 'Kardinal' too BD as well as a few multiflora plants to take cuttings from so I am good in this regard. It's just the 'Ebb Tide' I am after so far. I'd actually be interested to see what kind of multiflora you have though because I have two different types here. One has the most beautiful wrinkled leaves and big trusses of white flowers. The plant has finished flowering no and I am cutting it back this weekend (and sticking all the prunings in as understock cuttings) and the other is a nice cherry-blossom pink with smaller more lime-green leaves. Both make excellent garden specimens in their own right too. I've been trying to find a non-virused plant of Dr Huey too... without much luck so far. I contacted the Rose Trial Grounds to see how it was all done, hoping to send a few plants of 'Kindred Ice' along for trial in a few years time, and they say Dr Huey does really well in their soil... now I just gotta practice budding those tiny little miniature buds Shocked

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th December 2008, 13:27

Bloody Dr. Huey, I got lots of that LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th December 2008, 13:29

Virus free??? I have loads of it too BUT sooner or later they all show up virused >8@

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th December 2008, 13:35

Twisted Evil yeps, but I do love my climbing one Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Ebb Tide Pollen Empty Seedling Progress

Post by Ozeboy 30th December 2008, 22:48

I have about 60 seedlings all germinated over 4 weeks in Jiffy pots and have noticed great variation in growth.
All look very healthy ranging from 5cm to 250cm high, all have flowered except a few Gloire des Rosomanes.
I have sorted them into groups based on their mothers and in each group there is great variation. Can I asume this is genetical variation as they all look very healthy? Have had one flower on each and one wanting to produce a second flower which I cut off to give the plant a chance to grow better. Am feeding them Charley Carp now they are in 5" pots of premium potting mix.
They are about 3 months old and expect variation but this variation seems extreme. Has anyone had a similar experience as this is my first batch of trial seedlings before I embark on controlled pollination.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th December 2008, 23:32

Hey Bruce,

Guess what! I killed ALL my Frau Dagmar seedlings Sad I missed a really hot day in the greenhouse and they all fried Sad I was devastated. I lost about 50 seedlings in one go. But... the 'Mary Rose' seedling survived and so did two from an unknown rose hip... which look rugose, so I am down to only three seedlings this year Sad.

Were yours all open pollinated hips? What were the seed parents? A large percentage of OP hips are cross-pollinated so yours could really be anything. The ones 250cm ( OMG!!! is that right or did you mean 25cm???) may well turn out to be climbers and flowering in their first year is a good sign of likely remontancy. Given the complex genetic background of most roses you can expect lots of variation in any given cross, even self-pollinated hips. It can be a real lucky dip. Do you have any pictures of their first flowers? Don't forget their first flowers are an rough indication only of what they will be like as mature plants. Their petal count will usually increase as will their size. Disease resistance will often improve as the seedlings mature as well so don't cull too early if you have the space. If they are from OP hips then it seems the convention in recording their parentage is 'Seedling of...' and not 'parent x parent' because you can't be certain that it was self pollinated unless you deliberately self-pollinated it.

Last edited by TasV on 31st December 2008, 10:48; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Ebb Tide Pollen Empty Seedlings

Post by Ozeboy 31st December 2008, 09:54

Simon, thanks for your comments, alteration to seedling height 50mm to 300mm. Initially was trialing germination and then forced into keeping them alive over the first 3 months. Think I have something special, a mauve Iceberg and a white Iceberg with a lot more petals than it's mother. Also a red HT I hope as rugged as its mother but so far has wonderful fragrance. Unusual as its mother has no fragrance at all. All are open pollinated from those hussey's so they could be anything. Can't wait to do some controlled pollination but do not have the breeders I want. Deb Kelly has a vast knowledge and her climate is a wonderful trialing ground for breeding hot climate roses so have a few breeders marked for the future. A lot of these were budded September, October and are well on the way with 50mm shoots.
Must admit I am well on the way to becoming a rose breeder, successiful or not will have a lot of fun.
Speaking of fun, cooking all those seedlings must have been a real downer but I am sure you will bounce back.

Bruce

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st December 2008, 11:01

Hey Ozeboy...!
Put me down for an Iced Mauve and a couple of Fluffenbergs!
Hey maybe I have found my nitch, I can be a Rose Namer...LOL

Nice to see you here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd January 2009, 10:09

I can't get my 'Icebergs' to set OP hips Bruce but I have wanted to use them in breeding for their vigour and health (and the fact that I don't much like exhibition style flowers... I would much prefer a landscape feature than a show flower). If you want to post pictures of your seedlings you have two galleries here you can use. One is the gallery link at the top of the page (or you can [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to jump to it). You can upload image here. The other option is when you are typing a new message you will see this icon: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. This is a link to a hosting service where you can upload your images and store them and display them on the forum. Both are good options. I'd love to see both your special seedlings. Directly behind 'Iceberg' in its' pedigree is a hybrid musk called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Is the colour anything like this (see the link)?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd January 2009, 20:40

Tasv, posted on "off topic" might not done it right. Have just got Swanes 09 cat. They have and I was wondering if they can send to Tas. Is there any other way "I" could get one to you.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd January 2009, 22:03

Hi David,

Swanes can send here. I have not used them as yet because I find their postage too expensive. I wanted Ebb Tibe from them this year but it was going to cost me something like $41 to get it here... which is weird when others can get thngs here for as little as $11. Oh well... I can get propagating material from people (so I found out today) so long as there is no soil or leaves but plants that might have soil on their roots still need to come from certified nurseries. If you could send a stem down that would work but not a whole plant.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd January 2009, 05:37

Simon, Carole wants one so I will purchase and send what wood I can.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down