Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Learning to grow seed.

3 posters

Go down

Learning to grow seed. Empty Learning to grow seed.

Post by wedge 8th December 2009, 14:39

Hi folks. While i'm waiting for cuttings to callous up and eventually pot out, i was wondering what to do with myself other than the two million jobs i have around here. I'd like to get into growing seed. I'm thinking after reading the story on RMV on here lately that it might be a good idea to grow from seed also. On one of my favourite roses (Many Happy Returns - ground cover rose) i have a wonderful large hip developing. All the rest of the hips are usually small but this one is a lot larger. Do i take it that the rest were unpollinated and this one alone has been pollinated ?? If that's the case, i need to pollinate the flowers myself to ensure a good pollination rate. I used to do this years ago when we used to grow the odd granadilla. I used a small artist brush with fine hairs and gently swizelled it around in the pollen of one flower and then gently swizelled it around in the centre of another flower. Is this how you do it with roses ?? Also, once you have a hip that has formed, how long do you leave it on the bush before picking ?? I have a fair idea how to process the seeds in the fridge after that. Any info would be much appreciated !!
wedge
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Learning to grow seed. Empty Re: Learning to grow seed.

Post by Admin 8th December 2009, 17:31

G'Day Dave... in general hips take between 120 and 140 days to mature. This is only a rule-of-thumb and you will have to take your lead form the rose as well. Some will say when the hips turn red/orange they are ready but some hips never turn orange/red so I use the three months guide more than the colour. It's also good, when you are first starting out, to just get a feel for how rose seeds grow by just growing these open pollinated seeds. The ones on 'Many Happy Returns' are an excellent choice to start with because not only do they have a proven and reliable track record but there is a very real chance of getting some excellent seedlings ideally suited to Australia. If you want to pollinate... forget the brush... fingers are a far better weapon of choice. Just collect the flowers that are almost open, snip the anthers off into a small container... allow them to dry so the pollen is released, then swizel your finger through the pollen and dab it gently on the anthers of the previously emasculated seed parent flowers. Stick your finger in your mouth to clean it before doing the next one (pollen don't taste half bad either Wink kinda peppery). That's about it. Choose the seed parent at about the same age as the pollen parent flower... pull off most the petal but leave a few on (seems to help - easy to do with 'MHR'), use a small pair of scissor or tweezers to remove the anthers (you need to get them before they release their own pollen) and then they are amasculated ready for pollination. I cover mine with little gauze bags to keep other pollen gathering insects out for four days.. after that the flowers are not receptive to pollen anymore and put a small string tag (like a jewelers tag) on the flower with the name of the cross. I should get into the habit of putting the date on them as well so I can tell, with late crosses, when I'm getting close to 120-140 days... but I never seem to get around to it Rolling Eyes

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 8th December 2009, 18:18

Thank you very much Simon !!! I'll start that in a few days as i have 2X Many Happy Returns. I'm not sure what i can use for guaze bags but i'm sure the wife will have some idea. Fingers eh ?? ...well, i'll be buggered !!! I'm really looking forward to it i have to admit. Sitting here watching roses grow is starting to get a little boring so i need something to keep me amused !!! Sleep And what better way than to make more roses !!!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th December 2009, 20:58

Patience is a virtue, Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 8th December 2009, 21:32

Thank you for those words of wisdom Roseman. After being married for 35yrs, i'm sure i'm ably qualified !!! Stunned
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th December 2009, 22:04

The answer is with your wife! Stockings!!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 8th December 2009, 22:15

And a dozen long stem red roses ????? We're not worthy Bugger 'er, let 'er grow 'er own m8 !!! Chuckle chuckle !!!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 8th December 2009, 22:17

Ohhhh...now i get it !!! Geez, i thought you were trying to crack a joke then Simon !! Hehehe. The wife showed me some small bags that you can buy from Spotlight stores but the stocking idea sounds great !! Geez i love this site...always learning something !!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th December 2009, 22:33

Rolling Eyes

I'm sure your lovely wife would love a dozen long stemmed red roses too Dave, you SNAG you...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 10th December 2009, 00:53

I'm sure she would Simon...but she ain't gonna get 'em !!! Santa is bringing her a macro lens for her camera. SNAG ??....damn but i love it when you talk dirty to me. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside !!! Mexican Wave
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down