Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others...

5 posters

Go down

Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others... Empty Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others...

Post by Admin 24th August 2009, 23:37

Does anyone grow the species rose called Rosa roxburghii f. plena that could spare a few cuttings?

Others on my wishlist include:

'Agnes Barclay'
'Milkmaid'

and

'Lily Freeman'

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others... Empty Re: Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others...

Post by Carole 26th August 2009, 00:03

I can't help you Simon as we havn't got those but Misty Downs has got there specials list out with Milkmaid at$9.80 and one called just Agnes which is a rugosa at $10.85. Hope this helps.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others... Empty Re: Looking for 'Rosa roxburghii f. plena and others...

Post by Ozeboy 26th August 2009, 12:03

Simon, Rustons have both Rosa Roxburghii Normanalis and Rosa Roxburghii Plenas listed.

Have been following your selection of breeding roses which indicates health is a huge priority.

The over use of pestercides and fungus chemicals has had a huge impact on the invironment, also our health as well. Some countries have banned their use entirely. After years of breeding roses for bloom form, colour, repeat and fragrance these desireable characteristics may deminish to some degree when older and species roses are used to increase health. Most of the PBR, modern English and HT's roses sold now won't stay without being propped up by fungus sprays.

I see rose breeding very exciting over the next 50 years.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th August 2009, 17:14

Health is my number one priority Bruce. Form and flowers comes next. I would like shrubs that branch from the ground and a spreading fashion(might need to look at making them thornlass then too Rolling Eyes ). I'm not so interested in them being evergreen... because they are roses... sure there are evergreen roses but I like a seasonal garden... someone else can work on the evergreen thing and besides... even roses reputed to be evergreen never truly hold all their leaves down here anyway so I kind of think 'meh'... I still use some chemicals on the seedlings because health often kicks in slowly and if I want to see how they can perform then they need to have the best start possible but this is cut off after the second year. My little 'Kindred Ice' seedling hasn't had a spray in 2 and a half years now and I couldn't be happier. It is as clean as a whistle in its third year (I cut off the sprays after 6 months with this one). I was advised, when I first started this hybridising thing, to treat your seedlings carefully with sprays and ferts etc for the first year and then begin 'weaning' them off it. This has proven to be successful for me over the last 7 or 8 years... whatever it's been now.

I know these places offer these roses... I have exhausted my budget for roses for a while and so the few that I am still looking for will have to be sourced by exchange of cuttings etc.

I'm really excited at the moment because I went to a garden demolition and rescued this VERY old double red rugosa rose.... they'd ripped it up with a bobcat and there were suckers everywhere so I grabbed a few and have put them in hoping these too will go into the program. I don't know what it is but the growth was very low and twiggy... almost like a groundcover rugosa and given the state of the garden it was in pretty good condition so it's obviously tough as nails. It will interesting to see how it performs with a little more tlc and how its fertility is.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd September 2010, 20:44

hi simon

ihave acess to a rosa roxburghii plena, tried growing some cutting from , thought i was doing well as the buds burst and leaves developed, but alas they turned there toes up me, might try layering it this year

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd September 2010, 20:51

Keep us posted on your progress. I've had trouble with a few species. Currently trying to strike setigera... not sure how to call this one.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd September 2010, 21:04

have tried to use roxi a few times in my breeding programe, it is so doubled it is very hard to find anthers to get pollen, you never get more than ten, same as rosa hemispherica, you should see me pollinating with a set of jewellers glasses on, trying to get what pollen i have, to do the job, hemispherica i have offspring but no luck with roxi

Last edited by warren millington on 23rd September 2010, 21:09; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd September 2010, 21:09

Yeah... since posting this I have been talking with breeders o/s about it and they generally agree that it is not 'plena' that is worth using but the single version. There are a lot of roses in this roxburghii complex. One called 'hirtula' is a really nice one that I'm keem to try as well.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevarose 2nd January 2012, 13:22

Simon I have Rosa Roxburghii Plena - pink multi petalled blooms and suckers a lot. Happy to send you cuttings.

My gigantea is still alive, up on the hot hill under a large gum tree and never watered or fed. Now I feel guilty and I will go up and spray Fusilade to kill the 6 foot high kikiyu around it but under all that grass, it is still alive and looks healthy although small due to lack of water I presume. Not tall though. High chance of rain every day this month so I might go and put some Blood and Bone on it.

kevarose

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold 2nd January 2012, 16:27

Simon, I have 'Milkmaid' if you get stuck.
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2nd January 2012, 19:30

MILKMAID!!!!! You have to be joking. This came into my garden four times. I started to wise up a few years back and started to fight one of them. I won - eventually. Two of them are now sort-of behaving themselves, but the third. Dear oh dear. I am on my second day clipping away at the absolute monster. It layers itself whenever it smells soil and is now covering an area 6m x 6m

I have to go out on Friday (should post on a Monday, I know) and can send the following if you still want them.
Alain Blanchard
"Mrs. Val Nash"
Aviateur Bleriot ???
Charlotte Armstrong
Milkmaid ??

Back to top Go down

Post by kevarose 2nd January 2012, 20:06

There is a Baby Milkmaid - apparently 1 metre high. A sport. I saw it for sale a few days ago. Thought I might put in a few.

Monsters like that I now avoid

kevarose

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2nd January 2012, 22:04

A couple of years late, but ... The rose that was circulated as Agnes Barclay was a found rose; looks polyantha and is unlikely to be AB. (We've labelled it "Upper Beaconsfield"; it was also collected at Alexandra, Vic. There is a photo in the Polyantha gallery on the HRIAI website.) Salmon Spray has been suggested but I don't think it matches the photo on hmf.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd January 2012, 23:14

It's funny... roses that seem to 'go monster' for some people don't seem to do so down here... a lot do but some don't. For example, Rosa Banksiae is a failure to thrive for me down here (I've gone through two so far... the double white and the double yellow.. both have died on me) and laevigata struggles to grow. 'Fortune's Double Yellow' barely makes a 1m x 1m shrub after four years and 'Chromatella' died in the bum completely. 'Lamarque' is starting to flex its muscles and is showing signs of going giant. Rosa bracteata has been in the ground for three years and hasn't exceeded 1m x 1m (doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and buy 'Mermaid' though Rolling Eyes ) and 'Crepuscule' has stayed small too (but is virused).

I had wanted 'Milkmaid' because of its vigour and then read there seems to be two roses going by this name: one that forms hips and one that doesn't. Clearly I'd prefer the one that does form hips but is this the real 'Milkmaid'? 'Milkmaid' is also from 'Crepuscule' and this is why I wanted it. Because I didn't know which 'Milkmaid' was being sold by whom I decided not to get it and will instead use my 'Crepuscule' directly instead with my OP 0-47-19 seedlings. I have a dying stone-fruit tree that I've been trying to grow banksiae up (and failing) and 'Milkmaid' was going to go there instead. I will be putting 'Lamarque there instead now.

I also wanted 'Agnes Barclay' because of the Tea x 'Crepuscule' pedigree. If it's not the same rose I'm not going to bother with it either.

This thread is a couple of years old now and I don't remember when I asked for 'Charlotte Armstrong'... I remember asking but don't remember when. Since then I have raised seedlings from 'Sister Therese' and discarded them all. They were the most mildew prone, horrible seedlings (but not as bad as the 'Floradora' seedlings I had), and I decided this line was not one I wanted to pursue anymore.

Patricia, is the ??? next to 'Aviateur Blériot' because there is some doubt as to it's authenticity?

At the moment I've pretty much trimmed my wish list down to what you can see here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . I need to discard a whole lot of roses as well.

Margaret, I'm going to shovel 'Golden Emblem' over winter. Do you want it for your collection? It will need quarantining and treating with a strong systemic fungicide. I'm tired of trying to nurse it anymore. It needs to go somewhere black spot is less of an issue.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd January 2012, 08:41

No thanks, Bruce gave us one , and it went in last spring as far as I remember. Doing well so far. It's just as well we've got most of the HRIAI Collections at Renmark completed, as the SA borders are freezing up, especially with the Myrtle Rust threat. We're limiting the Collections to classes which do well in Renmark's climate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd January 2012, 20:19

Can't remember why I put them there. There may be some doubt about my plant. It seems to have less petals than other pix on HMF.

I must say I am not all that enthralled about spending my free time on a site supposedly devoted to roses, and wading through postings about dogs, fish and buddleias.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 3rd January 2012, 22:07

Variety is the spice of life, Patricia.

I noticed the photos of your plant seem to have less petals than the others shown. What do the original descriptions say about it?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down