Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Looking for this Rose

+7
Ozeboy
Balinbear
Alya
SueH
adson3492
The Lazy Rosarian
The Estate
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Looking for this Rose - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking for this Rose

Post by Alya 14th February 2015, 23:23

Ozeboy wrote:...  I have a policy if any roses get blackspot or mildew in my no spray garden they are promptly put in the garbage bin.

You are very brave Ozeboy. I think if you know what rose it is then good for you. But if you don't know then it is very risky. The rose could be one of the extinct roses you happened to have. I found out that this could have happened very easily in my garden.  I inherited about 21 roses when we bought our house 14 years ago. Some were really sickly. Pulled out and threw away one. But I felt very bad about it somehow. Decided to give the roses a chance and lots of TLC. Because we loved the colour of the roses and sprayed them. The folowing year they did much better. Now we just feed them twice a year and seasonal pruning and we have lots of oww my God what a heavenly sight!! noises. Three years ago we managed to identify the roses. Anndd  Nowwww I have two extinct locally bred unknown roses which were bred in early 1980s. Yuppieee!

I still regret the one I binned though! It was well over 45 years old but was full of lovely flowers and very sickly leaves. Nowadays It is a rare sight to see really old rose bushes these days. Old roses are really good though. You see the qualities of the rose wood and lovely bark on the trunk.

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 14th February 2015, 23:47

Balinbear wrote:No sprays used on these and no black spot or mildew either. Considering we have had at least a month of very humid days and nights with mid 30 degree temperatures the teas stand up pretty darn good.

Obviously our climate is way far from yours. We only get the climate similar to yours  for 15 days a year at most.  For the roses hostas lilies and all plants in general I find the mixture of boiled cooled garlics and very hot pepper powder skins of onion together mixed in the watering can and washing the levaes at around lunch time in a hot day giving a chance to the leaves to dry out before the night settles helps quite a lot.  Using this home made mixture reduces the use of the chemical sprays.

With that humid atmosphere you have you would be very successfull in growing outdoor Orchids. I envy you for this.

I have most of the roses you mention. They all need spraying in my garden though.   But I think it is also all down to how they have been porpagated/grafted too. Because I inherited  4 Peace roses planted in very early 1980s. Then two years ago I bought another Peace. The new Peace is more sickly than the old ones and its flowers are smaller than the old bush.

I need to figure out how th insert pictures and to show the difference between the old and the new one.

Last edited by Alya on 15th February 2015, 00:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected the "breed" to "propagated/grafted".)

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th February 2015, 00:10

\"Alya wrote:I need to figure out how th insert pictures and to show the difference between the old breed and the new one.

Alya, there is an article that tells you how to insert picture.......if you have problems don't hesitate to ask.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th February 2015, 06:27

Alya, here is the link Neptune was referring to.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 15th February 2015, 06:39

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Alya, here is the link Neptune was referring to.

Cheers David. That is very helpful. You saved me lots of time to find it.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 19th February 2015, 12:47

Ozeboy ... love your frankness - sooo refreshing, and please keep sharing your extensive knowledge .. Cheers, Lillian
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 22nd February 2015, 00:13

Balinbear wrote:No sprays used on these and no black spot or mildew either. Considering we have had at least a month of very humid days and nights with mid 30 degree temperatures the teas stand up pretty darn good.

Mrs BR Cant
G.Nabonand

Another of our exclusive Teas (OP Seedling Marie Van Houtte) "Glenview Pink". Nice bush and foliage, has a relatively small flower for a Tea (about 70mm diameter) but does not appear to be affected by Black spot either.

Probably the rose with the worst Blackspot in the garden Titan now 2 metres tall after being in the ground for 5 months

Balinbear, I am trying to get more info on Titan. Helpme find.com gives me a lot of choice. Which one is yours? Is it the one " Bred by Delbard (France, before 1983).
Large-Flowered Climber.  
If you know the parentage of this rose..."

Mrs BR Cant, G.Nabonand and Titan are impossible to find here. It would be nice to have those in my garden..

I love the planting scheme  with G.Nabonand what a lovely colour combination!

Your garden is my type of planting: All you see is the green leaves and flowers and no soil. Very nice!

Last edited by Alya on 22nd February 2015, 00:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors. Hope I tackled them all!)

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd February 2015, 06:27

Alya, you could try the breeder for Mrs. B. R, Cant here,

Sometimes sold as 'Jean Ducher"

Alya, I think the one that Balinbear(Gary) has is the Australian bred one,

The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd February 2015, 09:35

Alya, where abouts are you in the UK? Obviously our climate is a bit different to yours, but if you're down Devon or Cornwall way, then your climate will be not too dissimilar to what we have down here in southern Victoria and Tasmania.

I live in the hills outside of Melbourne in a cool temperate climate. The teas (and one China...and Munstead Wood) I put in last year are by far my best performers. I was worried that they wouldn't do well for me because all the literature says they like a warm climate, but they are doing very well in rainy old Melbourne.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd February 2015, 13:29

Zoe, Alya is in the Bedfordshire  area if that helps.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd February 2015, 13:34

Oh Sad It get pretty cold there I think!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd February 2015, 13:37

muscovyduckling wrote:Oh Sad It get pretty cold there I think!

Zoe, England gets cold at the drop of a hat.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 22nd February 2015, 13:39

Nah! It's the north you have to worry about Zoe.  Of course it's cold compared to here,  Summer temps 19 - 23+ degs. Looking for this Rose - Page 2 2713849628

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd February 2015, 17:37

Wish is was 19 degrees today. I'm melting.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 23rd February 2015, 21:39

Alya

The Titian we grow is the Australian bred on. It is a small climber that we grow as pillar rose.

I agree that a garden bed needs a mixture of plants to provide interest and to show off the colour of the roses. The problem here is the warm temperatures and the rain we get means that you need to keep on top of some of the plants to make sure they do not bury the roses.

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 23rd February 2015, 23:18

Too true Gary. I planted a tiny little bee balm seedling in front on Blush Noisette this winter. Can't see the rose anymore.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 24th February 2015, 03:30

Balinbear wrote:Alya

The Titian we grow is the Australian bred on. It is a small climber that we grow as pillar rose.

I agree that a garden bed needs a mixture of plants to provide interest and to show off the colour of the roses. The problem here is the warm temperatures and the rain we get means that you need to keep on top of some of the plants to make sure they do not bury the roses.

Gary

Hopefully one day I will have some Australian Roses and some Bermuda Roses.

What about the ground cover plants Balinbear? Like snow in the summer. Obviously snow in the summer set roots but they are so shallow just pull with your two fingers and it is out. Will it affect the Roses?

Actually I found that ground  cover plants like the snow in the summer keep the soil moistured while the other parts of the soil is bone dry. Also this little fella does not let the slugs make it home like the lovely geraniums. I had to get rid of my georgeously scented lovely geraniums because they all were a hotbed for very big juicy slugs to take a shelter from the heat and predators in the summer.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 24th February 2015, 17:42

Alya, the problem is not too many slugs. The problem is not enough ducks! Quack Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 25th February 2015, 18:36

Isn't it interesting that we always want what we can't have easily ie) I would love to be able to grow some of the roses that do well in England, while Alya is coveting Australian roses! Mind you, it would be interesting to see how well the Australian bred roses do in Northern climes (I'm sure this has already been attempted)!
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 25th February 2015, 22:20

Warren Millington currently has roses on trial in Belgium and if I remember correctly some on sale over there (but not here unfortunately).

See picture of his roses

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 25th February 2015, 22:54

rosebud wrote:Isn't it interesting that we always want what we can't have easily ie) I would love to be able to grow some of the roses that do well in England, while Alya is coveting Australian roses!  Mind you, it would be interesting to see how well the Australian bred roses do in Northern climes (I'm sure this has already been attempted)!

The easy ones always make me relax and not to take note of the nature. The difficult ones makes my ears and eyes open and more connected to the nature!

Also deep down it feels good to feel just about to burst!! Makes me achieved something and soothes the the ache of the failings and problems could not solve...meaning it is just a hobby!!!

I am sure someone have already tried. But it feels good if I can succeed too...and if I fail I' ll just have to lick my wound....makes me feel part of the pack.

So let's get on with it.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 25th February 2015, 23:20

muscovyduckling wrote:Alya, the problem is not too many slugs. The problem is not enough ducks! Quack Smile

You are right.

Is it difficult to grow..oops..slip of the tongue...look after ducks in the garden?

We occasionally have pheasants but we do not have to attend them they are wild and fend for themselves perfectly...I suppose you would need a pond to go with the ducks and so on...I am too lazy for the ducks the roses are already taking a lot of my time... Then would the ducks or the chickens eat the new growths of the roses and buds? With the ducks then I will have to permanently look out for the foxes and predators to leave the ducks alone and alive.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th February 2015, 06:13

Alya, this is the nursery that Balinbear was talking about in Belgium,

The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 3rd March 2015, 01:10

If you you go to Daniel Schmitz Nursery through the link iearlier you will find Australian roses bred by Warren Millington for sale. How this came about is quite an interesting story.

What has happened with Warren Millington is another case of a talented Australian having to go overseas to be recognised.

Let me explain briefly:- Warren Millington after gaining a horticultural qualification decided he would try his hand at breeding roses. He be came a member of this forum and his roses became known mainly through this forum. At one stage a Belgium rosarian Estelle picked up on Warren's roses and introduced Warren to Belgium nursery owner Daniel Schmitz. Daniel was interested in Warrens roses so Warren sent budwood to Daniel. Daniel trialled the roses and was more than happy with them and know 53 of Warren's roses are now being sold by Daniel Schmitz's nursery. I am predicting because of the chance contact between Warren and Estelle on this forum a whole new dimension to the Australian bred rose industry in is about to be launched that being the mass export of Australian bred roses to Europe and beyond.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Warren, Estelle and Daniel

Last edited by Ausrose on 3rd March 2015, 10:07; edited 3 times in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 3rd March 2015, 03:30

I have been looking at the 53 roses by Warren Millington as a result. I am going to get some. Thanks for the link and the info.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next