Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Looking for this Rose

+7
Ozeboy
Balinbear
Alya
SueH
adson3492
The Lazy Rosarian
The Estate
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Looking for this Rose Empty Looking for this Rose

Post by The Estate 16th February 2014, 15:23

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
   It was on the net, called Josephs Coat ? It has 4 colors on one spray ??
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Looking for this Rose Empty Re: Looking for this Rose

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th February 2014, 15:35

Swanes might still carry it, Cheryl
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 20th February 2014, 09:32

thanks
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by adson3492 27th October 2014, 17:44

Lovely looking rose there..great pic.

adson3492

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 28th October 2014, 13:09

I've heard of this rose, but have not seen a photo before. It's rather nice. Wonder if it has a scent?

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 28th October 2014, 13:11

The hmf photo is nothing like this one! What happened?! Is this one just wishful thinking? Hmmmm

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 27th January 2015, 03:34

Hi,

I am Alya. Although I am from U.K. and far away from Australia, my love of roses makes me next to allof the rose lovers wherever they are in the universe. So far I have got about 350 different roses - mostly one of each - in my 66m by 20m garden. While waiting for my registartion confirmed by Dave during the last few days I bought the rose Joseph's Coat and just got it delivered. I can't wait to see it flowering and take lot's of pictures. Has anyone got an idea on how to post cuttings of roses between Australia and UK?

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th January 2015, 06:30

Hi Alya, cuttings(plant material) to England, that is an interesting question. It is normally us trying to get from England. We have a quarantine system which is very strict. It is named AQIS, if you Google it it will come up, it is pretty hard to get around in it. I will have a look tonight our time. I assume you have some sort of quarantine section within your agriculture dept of government, if so could you have a look thru it and maybe post a link here so I/we can se it.
Here is a link to ours,

After all this Alya, a warm welcome from me(David).
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 29th January 2015, 00:46

Feels good to be part of RoseTalk ustralia.

Your link has made me do my own homework.
Ours is called Animal and Plant Health Agency short for APHA.

The systen does not allow me to post links because I am newly registered user. After 7 days hopefully i will be able to put the links.

Yesterday I contacted the APHA and got the contact details of official person who is responsible for the local area I live in. So in case I need to send or receive cuttings or seeds of roses I know who to speak to. Appearantly the same goes for Australia too. My understanding is if Australian authorities wants certain tests and obligations fulfilled before allowing rose cuttings etc to enter the country it is a must that those mandatory obligations are checked and approved by the authorities in the UK who are at  an equal level to them. It is the same for the Uk too.

The checks are very strict of the plants to be used for commercial reasons. But are  relaxed for personal use especially if someone is holding a piece of rose cutting or seed(ling) in their hand or hand luggage while flying on the plane etc. and made their intention very clear.

Now time to dig into the link you provided me with. Then hopefully I will be more hopefull about rose exchange between the other members.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th January 2015, 16:02

"But are relaxed for personal use especially if someone is holding a piece of rose cutting or seed(ling) in their hand or hand luggage while flying on the plane etc. and made their intention very clear."

I think if this was the attitude of Australian customs officers for incoming passengers I would have some serious hand luggage with me after a trip to France. Lots of Teas over there that are not available in Oz.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th January 2015, 06:29

Here is the link Alya, to your quarantine, 
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 30th January 2015, 12:33

Can't understand why anyone would want this rose, possibly because of the bloom pictures. Rose labels are notorious for lack of information.

HMF describe this one as 8 to 12 feet tall or just under 4 metres by 4 feet wide, armed with thorns and suffers nearly all the health problems we want to keep away from like Blackspot, Mildew and Rust.
There are enough one metre HT's covered in fungus problems without going the full distance and buying a 4 meter high health hazard.
I think it would be enough to turn anyone off roses looking at it every day.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th January 2015, 20:53

Sorry Bruce, not everyone has your taste in roses, some want them for other reasons, what does not grow for you "might" grow for others, don't be so negative.
Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 31st January 2015, 08:10

Sorry David but I tend to agree with Bruce on this one. Purchasing one is committing your self to constantly spraying it as I would seriously doubt that it would grow very much without the treatment needed to keep the leaves healthy enough to get the plant energy to grow.

But as you say everyone is entitled to try and to have their likes with regard to what they grow and living in Queensland I have seen how much people are prepared to spray to have their "perfect" rose growing in their garden.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 31st January 2015, 11:21

David, thought I was pretty positive trying to describe what this rose could look like based on HMF description. Roses are in decline and one of the reasons, they are high maintenance. Swane's catalogue has gone from a multi page with order form to a single page folded. There is only one new release available at $45 and another at $29.95 for 'Man of Steel' which looks like 'Stainless Steel' Re visited. I think the breeders that are recycling all those unhealthy HT's in their breeding programs producing show or exhibition roses are not helping.

I'm going to be extra positive and suggest those contemplating buying a 'Josephs Coat' look very closely at some of the Tea roses such as G Nabbonand, Peace 1902, Rosette Delizy, Marie Van Houtte and Anna Oliver to name a few of the more bushy ones.
These roses are super easy care bushy plants that are ever green, never need spraying or pruning. They do not go dormant as they bloom all year round, some dead heading may help but is not necessary.
Part of their appeal is the healthy shiny leaves.
David I think I'm being very positive.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st January 2015, 13:07

That is what I like to hear Bruce "positive thoughts"

I'm going to be extra positive and suggest those contemplating buying a 'Josephs Coat' look very closely at some of the Tea roses such as G Nabbonand, Peace 1902, Rosette Delizy, Marie Van Houtte and Anna Oliver to name a few of the more bushy ones.
These roses are super easy care bushy plants that are ever green, never need spraying or pruning. They do not go dormant as they bloom all year round, some dead heading may help but is not necessary.
Part of their appeal is the healthy shiny leaves.
David I think I'm being very positive.

I think the rose is not diminishing, it is the way it is  marketed. The public is easily persuaded.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 1st February 2015, 02:15

You are right  by saying who would want to care for troublesome roses.

However, for me the catch is "Will I be able to rise to the challenge".  Also I know the "diseases" are local if not micro-local.

Few years ago I saw the beautiful pictures of the Joseph's Coat in a book and have been looking for it since then!

Also after seeing the Masquerade flowering - both as a climber and as a bush I just want more like it. The colours of every single petal of every single flower changes within minutes let alone within days responding to the intensity of the heat and the sun shine to the whole envioronment. Even two of the same rose will behave very different in the same garden just a few metres away from each other: The rose itself will decide what to look like and be like. The whole thing is just very fascinating for me.  It does not matter if the rose plant is wildlife-unfriendly, I have seen the butterflies, bees land on th roses because of the ever changing  colours of the petals.  It is amazing to see certain butterflies will land on certin colours and nothing else. So be it climbing be it bush I wll have to figure out how  I can keep my troublesome roses a bit more healthy. Perhaps spraying the Joseph's Coat climber with my home-made ginger garlic onion and hot pepper solution would help a bit or have to figure out the companion planting and see where it takes me.

I can't wait to see if the flowers are as pretty as the ones in the pictures that made me wanting this rose.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 1st February 2015, 07:09

Alya, you are very passionate about this rose and nature around it. It's quite refreshing to read your comments, there are very few people who can get that much from nature. Don't be put off by "Cranky old Buggers" like me. If you ever come to Australia for a holiday do look me up for I feel we would have a great deal in common.
Enjoy your roses.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st February 2015, 07:14

Alya, here is a link to HMF(Help Me Find roses) about 'Joseph's Coat', also in the second link are the nurseries which sell it, I notice one in Belgium, maybe you could purchase from them if you are still looking for it.

The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st February 2015, 07:15

Morning "Cranky Old Bugger",  lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd February 2015, 18:09

No sprays used on these and no black spot or mildew either. Considering we have had at least a month of very humid days and nights with mid 30 degree temperatures the teas stand up pretty darn good.

Mrs BR Cant

G.Nabonand

Another of our exclusive Teas (OP Seedling Marie Van Houtte) "Glenview Pink". Nice bush and foliage, has a relatively small flower for a Tea (about 70mm diameter) but does not appear to be affected by Black spot either.

Probably the rose with the worst Blackspot in the garden Titan now 2 metres tall after being in the ground for 5 months
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd February 2015, 18:51

Gary, apart from not being able to grow roses in the " Bali Base" of South East Qld which you have done beautifully, is it possible that your disease population is "small". By this I mean you have no competition with rival diseases. No imported, black spot, downy mildew. A piece of 'virgin' land that did not have previous problems ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd February 2015, 22:26

Our Mme Leonie Vernott can gets powdery mildew quite bad and we have had serious problems with blackspot on the David Austin roses when we grew them so there was ample opportunity for it to spread to the teas as we grew them all together.

A bloke up this way told me he has reduced his mildew and blackspot by improving his soil. Mainly this involves putting more potassium (potash) into the soil which in turn acts to thicken the surface of the leaves and thus the fungal spores cannot "take root" on the leaves so we are working on that theory at present.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th February 2015, 06:52

Yes Gary, I am a very strong believer in the "theory" of Potassium, I have been trying to get the boss to use like Potassium in the vineyard to help with the leaves, my theory is no leaves no, no grapes/Roses. a strong leaf will help eliminate/reduce the site/sites for fungal attack.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 5th February 2015, 21:37

Nice pix Gary. I have a policy if any roses get blackspot or mildew in my no spray garden they are promptly put in the garbage bin.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next