Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Does Ebb Tide get better with age ?

+10
Ausrose
betsyw
rosebud
hariet~rose
The Lazy Rosarian
jordan71
paulh
silkyfizz
neptune
maree
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does Ebb Tide get better with age ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Ebb Tide get better with age ?

Post by maree 21st November 2013, 23:09

Diane , i have scoured the mauve / purple rose lists as i too need a mauve standard , but they all seem to have a flaw , Ebb Tide from what i have read takes three years to come of age and as Autumn says it depends on how much sun it receives as to the colour . The fragrance seems to vary too from person to person , that probably takes a few years to develope as well , its certainly the colour i'm after too , if you can wait three years and hope it will be okay ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Does Ebb Tide get better with age ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Ebb Tide get better with age ?

Post by dannyboy 16th May 2014, 04:17

Picked one of these up barerooted.Have read mixed reviews so far ,but the colour is so unique and will see how I go.I have put it in a pot to see how it goes first season.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 30th June 2014, 02:19

Mine has took off in the pot and showing good signs.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st July 2014, 20:41

Last year the AQ and I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Carruth (breeder of Ebb Tide) when he was the guest speaker at the Alan Campbell Memorial sponsored by the South Australian Rose Society and he told us that of all the roses he had bred if he had to pick a favourite it would be Ebb Tide. He also said it is a slow starter but once it gets going it's well worth the wait. Roses bred by Tom Carruth include:- Barbra Streisand, Blueberry Hill, Hot Cocoa, Julia Child, Marilyn Monroe, Moonstone, Neptune, Scentimental, Stainless Steel and Topsy Turvy to list ten of one-hundred and twenty-six registered.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 2nd July 2014, 17:34

Thanks Ausrose for the insight.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 2nd July 2014, 17:47

Great story, terrific photo. Thank you, Ausrose!.

Just to repeat myself here: danny, I was given an bareroot Swane's ET, unasked and unwanted, and thought it would be a loser but worth keeping around for a single season for a single sniff, a solitary bloom.

Blow me down, but it turned out to be one of the better performers in 2013-2014. The plant was prolific, sturdy, disease-resistant (I suspect the last virtue is because it still had Swane's spray fungicide on it.). Fragrance needs time to develop.

I tell you, I am surprised to pieces how much I really like this baby. (Now watch it make an idiot of me, and turn into a ratbag rose in this coming season.)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by brettv68 14th July 2014, 14:06

I got the Ebb Tide last season as a standard bare root rose and it has gone really well in its first season. Good perfume and regular flowers. Couldn't ask for more. Maybe it likes the Brisbane climate?

Cheers
Brett
brettv68
brettv68

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2