Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide Empty Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 20:15

Here are some roses in bloom at the moment.

Maree here is Barbra Striesand, a nice flush.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm expecting it to bush up a bit as it matures, but has the makings of a good shape.

Fragrant Cloud

Munstead Wood. Bush is filling out nicely. Flowers drop cleanly.

Ebb Tide - flowers small and look a bit muddy in colour.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide Empty Re: Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

Post by maree 28th January 2013, 20:48

Very nice Silky , well done , Barbara does look good , and Munstead Wood , i love it ... How does Babs hold up in the heat , does it frizzle very quickly ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide Empty Re: Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 21:01

Maree these flowers of Babs came through that heat! I was very surprised they didn't frizzle. They last quite a while on the bush, which I really like. She gets protection from the sun from about 6pm. In the first pic you can see the darker edges on the petals, sort of like a watercolour wash.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th January 2013, 21:31

Mmmmnnn , thanks Silky , wonder how she would go in the 8 am to 2 pm time frame ... Do you have Neptune ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 21:49

No I don't Maree, sorry. Babs gets sun for most of the day but in a sheltered spot, well watered. I would think 8am to 2pm would be fine, 6 hrs. I still inspect her and Chartreuse daily for any BS, have a phobia now. Any sign of a yellowing leaf...Bam, gone. Babs was said to be susceptible to BS so I suppose time will tell. So far so good.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 21:53

Oh, forgot to say. For those of you who have/will have Fragrant Cloud and looking for harmonising colours, I have found Nasturtium "Cherry" is a great match. I will be planting some seeds among FC and the reds.
I know I'm a bit anal about the colour thing LOL.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 28th January 2013, 22:24

Great informative pix, silky . Looked ast them three times now. That lavish, lush Babs is one of the best I've seen. The ET looks sorta pretty and sorta plain, and thank you for photo of this one that tells it like it is.

Cherry nasturtiums, eh? Must get a packet of seeds. Although right now they'd rot in the wet, and next week would fry in the predicted heat wave.

betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 22:36

Hope you're not flooded out Betsy. You OK there?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 28th January 2013, 22:53

We're pretty soggy here but fine, silky, and thanks for asking. There's a mess of tree limbs on the roads. We're more concerned about the wind than the water now, with 100km wind gusts due to hit the lower Hunter between 11pm -2am. So many 30m and 25m trees around the house, heavy spruces included. WE're decamping to the back guest room for the night, just in case.. Biggest thing that can fall on us there is the very bogan Foxtel aerial ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 22:56

Stay safe Betsy. Hope those trees hold.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 29th January 2013, 12:50

Hi Silky, could you please tell me what those small white flowers are around the roses?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th January 2013, 15:51

Daisies, possible Margarette my guess, very close relative to Chrysanthmums
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th January 2013, 18:42

Thinking of you Betsy .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 29th January 2013, 20:21

Awwww, how sweet you are, silky and maree.

I am happy if slightly embarrassed to report that the Hunter dodged a bullet last night. We had about 110mm of rain, no rivers or creeks overran their beds, and the 100km winds that were so often and so direly predicted for 11pm just never came. It was just like any old summer rainstorm.

The rose had their hair combed, even. Any black spotted leaves got groomed off by intermittent blasts of sheet rain.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th January 2013, 21:02

Ahhh , there you go , what a relief !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 29th January 2013, 21:55

Betsy, so glad you came through unscathed. It's awful to know so many are doing it tough up there. My sister-in-law is in Qld but at this stage OK.

Happy roses, those little white flowers are feverfew. They selfseed and come up freely around the roses every year. Pretty when when are out, shade the roots in summer and make good compost when finished. Good value.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th January 2013, 11:45

Glad to hear that your SIL is doing okay, silky. Is her family (are you?) from QLD originally?

This morning an earnest and very young ace reproter on the scene was asking locals about how they were coping with this (and I quote) "once in a lifetime flood." One of the older-timers wryly observed that this was the sixth once-in-a-lifetime flood he'd been through.

That feverfew is really effective as a foil, isn't it? It makes a nice collar for the roses, like an Elizabethan frill. One for the Good Idea file.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th January 2013, 16:19

Hi Betsy. Had to laugh about "once in a lifetime flood". Extreme weather seems to be happening with ever increasing frequency doesn't it? Not just here in Australia but other parts of the world too. Scary. What are we doing to our planet?
Yes that feverfew is a bonus in the garden. I originally got a little pot of it as it is supposed to be good for treating migraines, which I am plagued with. You can just nibble a leaf apparently. Tried that, didn't help the headaches but is useful gardenwise. May not be a good idea out in the country, but in suburbia easy to control. Grows about 60cm tall, aromatic (herby smell).
And no, I'm a Melbourne girl. Husband's family originally from Deni, later Melbourne.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th January 2013, 20:01

Silky , do the bees like the feverfew ? thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th January 2013, 22:38

No I don't think so. Have heard that bees avoid feverfew but it doesn't stop them visiting other flowers close by(inches away). And I have lots and lots of bees in the garden. I've been watching them drinking from the dogs water bucket, constant rotation of about 10 at a time every minute or so.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th January 2013, 23:18

Lol, that would be fun to watch , what do the dogs think i wonder ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th January 2013, 23:39

I think they are used to see me staring at strange things, but funnily enough they watch the bees with me. Three of us staring at a bucket. I know ....weird. lol!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st January 2013, 01:36

How charming! How inquisitive! How observant! You are the heir to Attenborough!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 31st January 2013, 08:32

Thanks Silky, the Feverfew are a nice looking companion around the roses.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st January 2013, 11:04

Attenborough hehehe, better than "eccentric".
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next