Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

Post by betsyw 31st January 2013, 12:53

"Eccentric" has come to mean an excellent thing, silky. if you replace the "circle" bit of Latin with "square", it means "outside of the box". Companies pay squillions for the services of such people. (Keep watching that bucket; a corporate recruiter should be along any time now).

Are bees attracted to the scent of a rose, or is it those sexy stamens? We used to watch the bees among the tomatoes. They'd grab hold of the pollen-rich flowers and do the "Bumblebee Rumba", waggling like crazy. Very good for making the tomatoes grow.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide

Post by silkyfizz 31st January 2013, 14:22

The natural world holds far more attraction than the corporate world. Of course those squillions might persuade me somewhat. lol!
Yes the behaviour of bees is fascinating to watch, especially when they do the rumba, almost like drunken euphoria, over and over. I've seen them do that with the flanders poppies. Wonder what the attraction is? Opium?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 10:44

Lol, Silky , nectar to them must be what alcohol is to us , hope nothing ever befalls our bees like it has oversesas .....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st February 2013, 10:56

Amen to that Maree. We can but do our own little bit with no chemical sprays and suchlike. And planting lots of flowers of course. My crepe myrtle in full flower is awash with bees at the moment.
Forgot to mention before about the number of praying mantis that seem to like hiding in the feverfew. When I was cutting up spent stems of feverfew for the compost bin, I noticed quite a few young mantids which I gently rescued. I think the feverfew flowers act as a nursery for them.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 12:29

We have a crepe myrtle too Silky , a pink one , yes and you are so right , i declared my garden a no spray garden for that reason , the bees and bugs and birds , my husband tries to use roundup on the weeds when i am not looking , but if i catch him , lookout , lol , thats interesting about the feverfew , i think i'll have to plant some of it , my garden is still developing this year , last year i dismantled it and planted lots more bird and bee friendly plants , where i used to have nothing but roses , now the roses have to share the space with everything else , next year it should look a lot better , your garden looks lovely from your pics , well done !!! If it doesn't pour with rain , we are off to Magic this Sunday too , just wish Swanes was a bit closer too ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st February 2013, 13:58

Gardens are just a work in progress aren't they Maree? We like some parts, change others, constantly working towards that vision in our dreams, picking up tips here and there. Thanks for your kind words about my garden. It's still evolving and I'm happy with some bits but still a long way to go.
I will be heading out to Magic Gardens soon. I hope it doesn't rain for you so you can take lots of notes and maybe some pics of what looking good and the disappointments too, nothing like reality checks eh? Do you think you might succumb and buy anything? Lol.
Also out that way is Reliable Roses, but I haven't been there and don't know how close it actually is. I thought I might visit both.
Reliable roses
40 George Road, Silvan, Victoria
Melways Reference: Map 121-E10
Display Gardens Open/Potted Roses Available for Sale
Weekends only - 10.00am to 5.00pm
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 14:09

Oh Gees , just as well you reminded me of the camera Silky , last time i went to Werribee , i took it and the battery was dead , i have so many roses i want to buy , but this year except for Fragrant Cloud and Olde Fragrance i'm trialling them in pots first , don't want any more dissapointing roses , especially in the fragrance . Fragrance varies so much , must have something to do with the climate too , we are in a very windy area , so don't know if that makes a difference too . I've heard of Reliable roses , thanks , i'll see how we go for time ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st February 2013, 14:48

LOTS AND LOTS OF PIX, PULEESE, MAREE!!!! Thiis is the place I've wanted to visit for years. Their bareroots plants are superior, and I would love to actually buy some MG roses out of their potted stock. Barbra Striesand, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood, Ebb Tide - Page 2 3236685939
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 18:52

No worries , i'll take the camera , note to oneself , don't forget the camera , don't forget the camera !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st February 2013, 19:52

With live battery! lol!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 19:59

Lol yes !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2