Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ?

+4
rosebud
The Lazy Rosarian
neptune
maree
8 posters

Go down

Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ? Empty Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ?

Post by maree 17th November 2013, 11:07

Does anyone have this rose and if so , how does it perform , scent , rebloom and health , thanks .....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ? Empty Re: Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ?

Post by neptune 17th November 2013, 13:20

Its being awhile, so I will give it ago......

the first season it threw up quiet a lot of buds, but the second season it threw up hardly any....wasn't impressed with that...
the smell wasn't up to what the owners make it out to be........
the rose itself didn't last as long.......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ? Empty Re: Does anyone have Fragrant Plum rose ?

Post by maree 17th November 2013, 14:21

Okay thanks Neptune , cross that one off the list too lol !! What about Blue Moon Neptune ? Do you know of any good ,repeat flowering , fragrant , healthy mauve roses ? Thanks ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2013, 14:59

Maree, have a look at 'Jacaranda' as a possible , not dark in colour though
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 17th November 2013, 16:39

I have 2 climbing Blue Moon, maree, that so far have been healthy and vigorous and coped with average care. Flowers are good with a medium strength perfume. This is high praise from me as I'm not a H.T. fan.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 17th November 2013, 22:23

Thanks Rosebud , i'm sort of thinking now Blue Moon or Dioressence , i have had both these roses , but it was some time ago and don't really remember why i pulled them out , i think Blue Moon was in a shady spot and Dioressence is a floribunda , and i much prefer single long stems , maybe that was why lol ........
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 18th November 2013, 01:13

Maree Dioressence is a delbard rose.I grow frangrant plum and healthwise is fine.Flowers a fine colour of mauve and a nice swift of perfume.Has just started flowering this season for me and full of buds.

I've got 2 Blue moons and both flower non stop and perfume is nice.Problem is they grow tall and stems seem to go sideaway alot and wind breaks them easy,Very healthy rose tho.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 18th November 2013, 06:12

okay I do have fragrant plum , although it has a nice perfume , not the best performer
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 18th November 2013, 19:41

Thanks , Danny and Jordan , that was very helpfull !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th November 2013, 22:59

Maree, re Blue Moon. Depends what you want it for. Perfume yes, lovely heavy fragrance that wafts, but I wouldn't rate it highly for cutting. It has soft petals that don't hold their shape long and tend to collapse. Better left on the bush I've found. Also I think the colour looks better on the bush. In a vase it looks more washed out rather than rich creamy mauve. As Danny says, it grows tall, mine goes straight up and must be about 7ft tall. I've just deadheaded mine and took off at least 30cm. Are you looking at a standard? It's a healthy rose though and pretty tough.

Last edited by silkyfizz on 18th November 2013, 23:28; edited 1 time in total
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 18th November 2013, 23:16

maree out of all my roses fragrant plum would have to be the most robust. I find it to be a vigorous grower. mine stands about 6' high at the minute. as neptune says one season heaps of blooms and not so many the next. IMO, this bush does not like to be pruned to hard. the scent does vary.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th November 2013, 20:43

Thanks Silky and Paul , i'm slowly deleting rose after rose , it leaves me with Dioressence , which is a floribunda , how does it go for picking Silky and do the flowers last , i have had it , but it was a long time ago ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th November 2013, 22:13

Well Maree, I haven't picked Dioressence for the vase, but I know flowers last well on the bush. Being a floribunda it has clusters of flowers, rather than long single stems so that might have a bearing on its vase potential. Fragrance is just wonderful though and it would probably perfume a room beautifully. It does open quite quickly from unfurling bud stage.
Here's a pic to jog your memory, showing the flowers at different stages. Usually it's not quite as pink, more lavender especially as it ages, but it varies a bit with the season.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 20th November 2013, 08:44

Thanks Silky , yes that does jog my memory a bit , i remember now , when i picked it for the vase , i wasn't real good , which is probably why i didn't keep it , i do like single long stems , there's just something about them , but Dioressence is still a lovely rose ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 20th November 2013, 08:47

I've been doing some research Paul and most say that Fragrant Plum is beautiful but not a good repeat bloomer , but i'm still thinking about it and am keeping in mind what you said , don't prune too hard ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down