Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please

+2
maree
silkyfizz
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please Empty Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please

Post by silkyfizz 8th October 2013, 22:33

Well my bare root Baronne E De Rothschild has gone to that great rose garden in the sky I fear. Magic Gardens is happy to replace it but they don't have any more Baronnes, alas. So now I need to replace him with something similar. It would have pride of place at the head of a new curved bed that juts into the, ahem, lawn. Its neighbours are Parole, Best Friend, Queen Adelaide, Frances Dubrueil, Old Port. I thought maybe Princess Alexandra of Kent but they don't sell that one.
Vibrant colour in deep pink range with strong perfume and healthy growth. Not too tall. Any suggestions?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please Empty Re: Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please

Post by maree 8th October 2013, 22:43

How about Fiona's Wish ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please Empty Re: Something like Baronne E De Rothschild. Suggestions please

Post by silkyfizz 8th October 2013, 22:57

Thanks Maree, just checked it out online. Looks like a nice rose. Do you have it? I wonder if anyone here has experience with Fiona's Wish?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 9th October 2013, 04:02

Silky I got it this season and it's going very well healthwise etc.I seen it a couple weeks ago at a nursery potted and in bloom and the flower was super nice and perfume very strong.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th October 2013, 09:37

Thomas for Roses carry two sports of Baron de Rothchild. I grow one of them that is named Louisa Jane and it is an excellent rose.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 12:25

Thanks for the feedback Danny and Ausrose. Louisa Jane would be a good choice but they're out of stock of that too. Fiona's Wish is looking a likely contender. I'm also considering Olde Fragrance and Love Potion.
Love them both (from pictures). OF may be rather too big in that spot so need some ideas on these two. Any information guys?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 12:47

I love my Love Potion, lovely bloom and yummy colour, great scent, but I don't trust it for oomphy, spotless health the way I do my three Baronnes. It bs-ed on me last year something fierce, and while it's not a full-on tragic, it sure doesn't have the reliability of BdR.

Silky, I like you. Do you have any friends up near the nsw Central Coast or Hunter Region? Lake Macquarie? If they can collect it, I would happily give them one of my extremely robust potted Baronnes as an early Christmas present to you, and you can collect it from your friends in due course. All they have to do in the interim is add water.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 13:05

Oh Betsy what a generous offer! What a kind person you are. Unfortunately I don't know anyone out that way, not even close, otherwise I would be sweet talking them into picking up your Baronne. In a flash. Thank you for the thought though, I really appreciate it.
Hmm, maybe Love Potion is off the list. I want something that has that star quality in that spot, and a spotty lady is just not going to cut it.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 13:11

Well, if circumstances change, silky, or soemone from up here is going to Melbourne, then the offer stands. I'd de-pot and mail the Baronne to you, but I don't think it would go the distance in the heat. Already lost a few bareroots enroute from Treloars (who have kindly given me a credit)in the earlySeptember heat wave.

Does MG have any recommendations?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 13:26

Yeah, I don't think it would survive the mail Betsy, and that would be wanton cruelty to such a gorgeous thing. Thanks again though. I know you understand the pain I'm in. Lol
MG hasn't made any recommendations so far. I could wait until the big 'do' at Werribee Dec 1st and hope to pick up one there but the spot in that bed stands out like a sore thumb. I feel like a Gen Y'er...I want what I want and I want it NOW. Stamps foot, flicks hair, rolls eyes. My husband suggests waiting until next season and reserve a Baronne from MG. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
Meanwhile the search is on...
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 13:43

I do feel your pain, and share your impatience. Gen Yers have absolutely NOTHING on Baby Boomers when it comes to instant gratification. We want it yesterday!

However, perhaps you can just drink to excess between now and Dec 1st. Time just flies when you're semi-conscious. In which case, you might ask Treloars if they're exhibiting, and if so, request a Baronne to collect at Werribee. May not work, but it's a thought. Mine came from T's, and as far as I can determine from what you've written, mine were much bigger and older than the one you got from MG.

Now I'll shut up on thematter
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 9th October 2013, 15:31

If you're thinking of drinking, how's about "Whiskey Mac" to help you on your way?!! LOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th October 2013, 18:37

Silky , my mum has Fionas's Wish and i've always liked it , healthy and fragrant , nice colour , if i had the room i would plant one thats for sure ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 21:32

Betsy that's a good idea actually. Contacting treloars, that is, rather than getting and staying smashed for the next 2 months. Lol. Something to think about. On the other hand Fiona's Wish sounds nice too. Maree, since you've actually seen it, can you tell me if the yellow reverse is really obvious as "yellow" or more parchment. Also cherry red sounds lovely, but would it clash with Parole, Queen Adelaide and Best friend, or harmonise as a know the Baronne would? Also how big is your mum's? HMF says tallish.
Haha Sue, aren't you a clever petal? Whiskey Mac.'Merry' Cheers
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th October 2013, 22:03

Lol ha ha Silky , now you'r really doing my head in , it does have a bit of yellow on the underside , so i would say that Barone would be better as far as harmony , but hey i've tortured myself with what to put with Fragrant Cloud and probably still didn't get it right , my advice , wait until you can get the rose you really want ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 22:08

Yes, wait for the Baronne for that special spot - but get Fiona's Wish too! Maree says it's good, and you know how ruthless she is when it comes to  "subtractions".Chainsaw guy 
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th October 2013, 22:14

Lol Betsy , too right , although these days i give em three years instead of two , then if no good ,whack ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 22:31

maree wrote:Silky , now you'r really doing my head in ,
Sorry Maree, I didn't mean for you to revisit the torture we both went through in finding just the right rose for Fragrant Cloud. Still don't know if I've got it right either Lol. Useful information though so thanks.
Betsy, yes I know that Maree is very discerning, ruthless even, with her roses, so I trust her when she says FW is a good rose. I've only got the one spot but now you girls have got me thinking...get both? that would mean a new area. Gawd!
Pause and think hard....
No I'll be strong and wait for all my roses to bloom and then I can make a decision. Meanwhile I'll fill that spot with some white lilies, blue violas and alyssum. Maybe a toning geranium or agastache.
Thanks girls, you've been a great help, knew I could rely on you.
BTW a great companion for Fragrant Cloud would be Happy Anniversary, saw it and got all breathless. Too late now though.Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th October 2013, 22:49

Happy Anniversary , don't know that one , but yes too late now , i was a bit hampered with fragrant cloud cause it had to be a standard and all the ones i liked didn't come in standards , doesn't matter its in a multicultural , multicoloured back yard lol .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 22:59

As we speak, I have 2 fragrant Clouds, 2 Firefighters, 2 Baronnes and a Young Lycidas in what I am pleased to call a vase, but which startred life as a pickle jar.

FF goes with everything, FC and the Baronne - not so much -and Young Lycidas looks like a piece of leftover clown costume. As long as I rotate the jar, er, vase, the combinations with FF are very pleasing. The scent, though is everyhting you fragrance hounds would imagine. ALTHOUGH, I wouldn't mind a bit of David Austin myrrh to blend with. Too bad I don;t do Austins (except for Lycidas, which is a funny little creature.)

What did you all plant near your FCs, in the end? We talked about it so much, but I don't recall the outcome.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th October 2013, 23:17

Maree, Happy Anniversary was brought up in the Pink Roses thread page 3. Knew I'd seen it somewhere. Apparently a sport of Kardinal. More salmon orange but lovely, not garish.
Multicultural....Haha that's funny!
Betsy, I bought 2 Fragrant Clouds and planted them with Mr Lincoln and Red Intuition. Time will tell if it all works. The Red Intuition and FC's are the strongest growing roses I've seen, so many basal shoots. Love that mahogany coloured growth. Just have to wait now for the flowers.
Now Firefighter is a rose that I must get, thanks for reminding me. Could it work in my empty spot perhaps? Maybe wrong hue, I've never actually seen it in real life.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 23:28

FF is the perfect colour for all occasions, but I think it's the wrong growth habit for what you want in that spot - long and lanky is our FF, but somehwre in your life you must have FF.

Trust me and everyone here and o/s - it's Your flower. silky.

Jeez, I wish you were closer - I'd add one of my Firefighters to the Baronne as a Christmas present. I really want you to have FF.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th October 2013, 00:00

Thanks for the thought Betsy, again.
Yep, just been reading comments on HMF about FF (again) and you're absolutely right. It's my flower all right.
I remember now - I got all my newies from Magic Gardens and they don't stock this one. That's why I'm Firefighter-less.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 10th October 2013, 20:50

Betsy , after many sleepless nights and scouring the internet for standard roses that would go with Fragrant Cloud , i kept coming to dead ends , all the roses i wanted didn't come in standards , or were not fragrant , or were disease prone , or something else was wrong with them , so i went for safe . Fragrant Cloud stands tall with Firefighter , Oklahoma , Valencia and Heaven Scent ,Oklahaoma and Heaven Scent were already there ,they will be surrounded with lavender , shasta daisy and annuals , just waiting for them all to grow .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th October 2013, 21:22

FF and FC really look very fine together, colour-wise, maree, quite upmarket, in fact. Like something Christian Tortu would put together. Ditto Oklahoma. Love your whole collection, in fact. Zeee Par-FOOOM!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next