Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt"

5 posters

Go down

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt" Empty Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt"

Post by betsyw 9th December 2012, 15:33

When acquiring bareroot rose varieties for the first time, I usually buy them in pairs on the assumption that a truer picture will emerge of that variety, given that a sole plant that does poorly might just be the plant itself.

This Spring I received one enormous Baronne EdR and one little scrap of a thing in my order. Big Edmond one got all the attention and some great real estate; Little Eddie got a slummy temp home in a 12" plastic pot and shoved out on the back deck ghetto off the laundry room.

Look at Little Eddie now.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt" Empty Re: Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt"

Post by Guest 9th December 2012, 15:54

Besty the Baronne has always grown well for me , has very good vigour.

Back to top Go down

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt" Empty Re: Baronne Edmond de Rothschild "runt"

Post by betsyw 9th December 2012, 16:15

I believe you, Ozroz, boy do I so believe you Very Happy . The pic above is quite poor in many respects- there are in fact 7 orchestrated full blooms and two opening buds on this little thing, and the shape of the plant is as nearly perfectly rounded as a bouquet.

The big booming Edmond is not so prolific, nor as shapely
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th December 2012, 16:40

Betsy, the union between the rootstock is critical, the under stock is also critical. The union of any rose depends on it, transfer of food is both ways. It could be the rootstock(which) I think it is. If given 2 buds from the same stem there should no eregularity IMO. Which indicates to me the rootstock(could) be the problem.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th December 2012, 17:34

Don't misunderstand me, both BEdRs are doing very very well, no problems at all. I just thought it was interesting that the little tiny bareoot has come on like gangbusters, and is outperforming his bigger and stronger brother, I have no complaints about the Big Ed plant at all, just that the Little Eddie plant is such a surprise show pony
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th December 2012, 19:18

The ugly duckling rose grows into a swan , i certainly love my Baron , its coming along very nicely too !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 10th December 2012, 20:45

Betsy, I found the same with my 'Eyes For You'. Out of 16 bare rooted roses it looked dead. I was devastated thinking my $25 bare rooted rose was not going to do too well. It is now one of the most healthiest of the lot!
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th December 2012, 07:31

Whatever the rose some variation in initial growth is due to less than perfect joining of the growth tissues in the rind, specially the cambium layer. Since the rind is made up of several layers it takes time for the grafted Sion and rootstock to repair perfectly. You will notice variation in all grafted roses during the initial growth period.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 11th December 2012, 09:59

Yes I know. I am just agreeing with Betsy that some less than desirable looking roses can turn into beauties Smile
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 11th December 2012, 10:19

Yeah, that was my point, Teesh. I tend to dismiss the little bareroot scraps that come my way, either as a freebie or a bottom-of-the-barrel end of year order, In the case of the Baronnes, the two plants were as disparate as Tarzan and Tinkerbell. I never thought that the twinkie would grow in a mere three months to match the Lord of the Apes.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 11th December 2012, 10:20

It's amazing what they can do Betsy Smile
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down