Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE

+3
silkyfizz
The Lazy Rosarian
jordan71
7 posters

Go down

SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE Empty SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE

Post by jordan71 31st October 2012, 12:32

SWEET INTOXICATION

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SIR JOHN BETJEMAN

ENGLISH GARDEN

CANDY STRIPE

ANGEL FACE

JAMES VEITCH

THE KNIGHT

SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE Empty Re: SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st October 2012, 12:45

James Veitch looks good, English Garden has nice colour.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE Empty Re: SWEET INTOXICATION, SIR JOHN BETJEMAN, ENGLISH GARDEN,CANDY STRIPE,ANGEL FACE, JAMES VEITCH, THE KNIGHT,SOUVENIR DE LOUIS AMADE

Post by silkyfizz 31st October 2012, 13:00

More beautiful roses. Really like the colour of Sir John, it's new to me. You have so many beauties.
Jordan how do you select your roses? What are your criteria?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 31st October 2012, 14:33

hi silky,
as you know from the pics i do collect lots of david austin roses . mainly for the shape of the flowers and the repeat flowering and ofcourse the perfume . have lots of old world roses that i love the shape the type and the health ofcourse comes into consideration , unfortunatley few that ive selcected arent the healthiest roses around but i still love the extra work they require and happy to give them what they need . love the hybrid teas and the floribundas and the climbers . climbers arent suitable for me right now as i am renting . only few climbers in my collection right now , when i buy a house i will get few that i love .. in addition there are lots more that i want to get .. when you renting makes it a bit hard as my roses are all in pots .. it is a lot of work . it helps that i am working at a nursery now too, when ui see new roses there , you can tell the health and the performance of the rose.
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st October 2012, 15:45

Yes, working in a nursery would give you the opportunity to get an idea of health of the rose. It would also be a great temptation to get another few more LOL. Does the nursery ask you for feedback on how they go. I would imagine that you would be able to give them lots of information on the many you have.
I hope you manage to get your own place soon so you are able to create your own garden. I would imagine it would be a rose wonderland. Have you drawn up any plans at this stage for your ideas? Tell me to mind my own business if you wish! Innocent
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st October 2012, 15:51

Silky, you have read my mind a bit. I was going to as Dan similar questions. I will start a thread on it tonight or you can lets call it either Dans House or similar
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 31st October 2012, 16:44

silkyfizz wrote:Yes, working in a nursery would give you the opportunity to get an idea of health of the rose. It would also be a great temptation to get another few more LOL. Does the nursery ask you for feedback on how they go. I would imagine that you would be able to give them lots of information on the many you have.
I hope you manage to get your own place soon so you are able to create your own garden. I would imagine it would be a rose wonderland. Have you drawn up any plans at this stage for your ideas? Tell me to mind my own business if you wish! Innocent

NOT at all silky you can ask me anything you like , yes it does help to know what u selling and telling the customers the truth .. to be honest most customers are scared of roses .. lord knows why .. they are not hard to look after .. when i recommend a rose the first thing they say ( what about prunning or that spots they get on their leaves .. too much work ) lol i laugh .. i think the public is becoming lazy when it comes to gardenning and work.. most wanna grow natives .. less work .. less water .. u would be suprised silky the amount of grevelias we sell everyday ... i try to encourage customers about roses .. but some have their minds made up.. i take cut flowers to work now and its amazing when you display roses on the counter . u do sell few Smile

when i get my own place i plant to have a huge garden . roses everywhere LOL .. i dont have a plan yet .. but i would hope in time .. that my garden will be full of wonderfull roses for people to admire .. its kinda sad when u see people lose interest in roses .. but all of us that love the rose, we will keep it alive for many years

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 31st October 2012, 22:29

You’re right, Dan, people are afraid of roses, because they don’t know what to do with them. I tried everything to get my neighbor in my old place to come aboard and share my enthusiasm for roses and there was nothing I could do. When we went gardening shopping together, I’d lift up all the fragrant ones, telling her where she could plant them and how wonderful they’d look, etc. No way, José, roses weren’t for her.
This year when we went to B together, I didn’t even try; but suddenly she asked me about a nice red rose. What happened?
My Folklore grew so huge, so fast and so thorny that is was impossible for me to take it with me when I moved, and she’s been admiring it from her balcony ever since. She tells me about any new blooms over the phone, and I know, she sneaks out there and picks them. She’s been watching Folklore growing happily and healthily all by itself, without any watering or caring in any way …
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 06:46

lol some people are like that .. they admire it and take the blooms .. but they dont wanna do the work . very interesting story jac Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 1st November 2012, 10:37

She’s into vegies and working very hard in the garden and in life; it’s all that song and dance about pruning that goes along with roses as if it were a science, when it really uses the same principles as for any other shrub that scares people away. (Folklore was one the roses I planted outside the gate when I ran out of space, and is now left to its own devices; I should a prune it, next time I visit)
Sir John Betjeman and Souvenir De Louis Amade are looking very nice, by the way; and here’s The (lovely) Knight in my garden:

More pink in shadier spots and redder in full sun

It developed very fast from a bare root plant and always has at least two blooms going

Other than a bit of mildew, its healthy and vigorous; here it is in full flight pretty much four months to the day after planting, its still doing well in a pot …
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st November 2012, 17:00

Your Knight is looking fabulous Jaci. And in a pot too! Amazing.

Reading your story of your neighbour was interesting. People's tastes can and do change and they can be persuaded by their own success. I've loved gardening all my life, planted a Peace rose outside my window at age 10. ( which is still there after all these years) In my 20's no gardening as I lived in units but loved nature so I developed interest and passion for natural environment, flora and fauna. My husband and I moved here many years ago and apart from apricot and lemon trees and waist high weeds,there were weedy looking horrible diseased rose sticks that I just hated. So natives it became as well as some exotics. Eventually the natives became huge horrible and weedy and my love story with roses began anew. So we go down new paths, discover new directions and grow, as do our roses.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st November 2012, 18:02

Dan, what's your assessment of Sweet Intoxication so far (I realise it's early days yet). I have several buds going on my pair. One opened - a wee small thing 2" wide with okay fragrance, but hardly the clove scent I was expecting.

(For the complaints dept: jeez, when will everything finally BLOOM around here. Never seen so many roses with so many buds, and most of 'em just shying away from actually opening.)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 18:08

betsyw wrote:Dan, what's your assessment of Sweet Intoxication so far (I realise it's early days yet). I have several buds going on my pair. One opened - a wee small thing 2" wide with okay fragrance, but hardly the clove scent I was expecting.

(For the complaints dept: jeez, when will everything finally BLOOM around here. Never seen so many roses with so many buds, and most of 'em just shying away from actually opening.)

betsy , sweet intoxication is a very healthy rose .. wait till the flower opens up .. mine smells beautifull.. def worth having for the scent as well the health
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st November 2012, 18:09

jac ,, awesome pics .. and the knight looking beautiful
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 1st November 2012, 23:06

Silky, you’ve explored many different options along your gardening journey, but did come back to roses in the end, and that sais it all …

I know how you feel, Betsy, when my roses were at that stage, I ran out every morning and tried to sniff the buds, again and again: come on, give me SOMETHING

Thanks Dan, you’re right, The Knight seems to grow well in our climate.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st November 2012, 23:36

No joke, Jac, that's me, running out periodically to stick my nose in - sepals! Not that I haven;'t been encouraging: I've been like a personal valet to these little buggers, providing a veritable rainstorm with the water, laying on enough food to keep an entire Botanic Gardens blooming. Plenty of sun. Unbudging buds. Last resort will be an electric cattle prod.
Oh well, between jordan, maree, silky and you and others, I can look at pix of my rose selections. Jordan in particular seems to have all of mine (and the universe's) excepting Ice Girl and Young Lycidas.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st November 2012, 23:44

Betsy you make me laugh - valet with a cattle prod hahaha. Even though most of my roses are giving me their all, my new babies are yet to show me a flower so I too am cossetting and clucking, waiting, waiting, counting the buds. Hope yours open soon!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd November 2012, 00:06

I like unbuding the buds, haven’t tried that one. Yes, it starts with marveling at the pink little dots on the bare canes and celebrating every new leaf, a relatively fast process, but when the buds finally show, they tease for an eternity. I have a lot of photos just of buds …
It’ll be nice to hear how that Ice Girl is going, a very nice fragrant white, going by its description.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 2nd November 2012, 09:31

Jac, right now, the first Ice Girl bud is peeking open - and it's pink! I give up :thud:

Wake me when it's next season.

Edit: Oh look, Firefighter has just popped a most amazingly perfect bloom. Feeling better...
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd November 2012, 21:24

Iceberg shows a little pink at first, Betsy, it might change when the blossoms turn to blooms …. Strawberry Ice Girl?
Yes, that Firefighter continues to please his owners, any pictures?
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 2nd November 2012, 21:37

Yeah, Jac, I'm counting on that pink edge to be a cold weather thing, and one that will disappear in subsequent blooms. Nice fragrance coming from the unfurling bud. If it is a cuckoo in the nest, and not Ice Girl after all, it will a pleasant rose nevertheless, I think.

My camera is in Greece with my daughter, but I'll try to borrow my friend's digicam this coming week to get a few snaps off. Also the baby Young Lycidas is starting to pop. My LG smartphone has miserable camera, and there's entirely too much photographic talent on this board to shovel some crummy pix in yer faces.

This FF is one damnfine specimen, though, even though it and a solitary Valencia look embarrassed to be in a vase by themselves. Now where are the other 500 blooms the rose porn promised me?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd November 2012, 21:50

You and me both Betsy , i just noticed this morning with a gasp that FF had bloomed and Aoteroea as well , we've had a couple of hot days here and that must of hurried them along . Still waiting for about three others though .....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 2nd November 2012, 22:13

Wonderful rose photos !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down