Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings?

+2
Barbara B
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings? Empty Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings?

Post by Admin 26th July 2011, 20:15

I've recently received cuttings of 'Elina' and am keen to hear of people's experience getting them to strike.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings? Empty Re: Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings?

Post by Barbara B 27th July 2011, 08:01

Hi Simon,
I'd say they're one of the easy ones. I have six Elinas in my garden - five of them are cuttings. She's a really great rose for the vase.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings? Empty Re: Anyone tried striking 'Elina' cuttings?

Post by wphvet 27th July 2011, 17:03

No experience,however Elina in our garden beats all other Ht's by a million miles as far as health,vigour
and flower production.I guess its sterile but who cares.

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th July 2011, 20:42

Thanks Barbara. I'm looking forward to growing it and should have about 10 if the cuttings all go well. Glad to hear it grows well own-root too. Very encouraging!!!

It's only sterile as a seed parent. It works really well as a pollen parent. It's health and vigour are what attract me to it and I want to cross it with the species rose, Rosa arkansana as it is a tetraploid like 'Elina'... hoping for something special from that cross.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 27th July 2011, 22:34

Yes, I too have two big bushes I grew from cuttings.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th August 2011, 18:17

Don't know about own roots but without a doubt it's one of the best HT's here. 4 year old plant grows to 8' and 4 to 5 feet wide. A real bloom machine.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th August 2011, 19:37

Great to hear, Bruce! I have read reports that 'Elina' can be a shy bloomer in some parts of the world.

Barbara, you were so right when you said 'Elina' is one of the easier ones to strike!!! This photo was taken tonight. If the original post was made on the 26th of July, and today is the 9th of August, that means they have reached this point in just 14 days OMG!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That's 100% success so far too!!! Looks like I'll have a few spare plants up my sleeve come spring Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th August 2011, 22:27

!!!! I took my cuttings the same day, Simon. So I've just run to open up the baggy.
I've been anxious that they would be going mouldy. They are a bit - is this something I should worry about at this stage?? Do I leave them a bit longer to develop more callus before potting up??

Elina:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sir Edward's Rose:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th August 2011, 22:38

I'd be giving them a quick dip in a fungcide like Mancozeb and planting them straight away. I'm going to plant mine above on the weekend when I have a few spare moments along with about 100 other cuttings at the same stage. I don't usually get fungus problems like this on mine. Must be because it's still really cold down here and fungus growth is slowed right down.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th August 2011, 22:50

Okay. Will try to do that tomorrow. (Dip the whole cutting? Have never used fungicide before.)

I've had them in our living room... nice and warm @ 16-20 mostly sunny (that was right.. yes?)

Thanks!!
(What am I going to do with all the plants?? Willy )

All going well I may have a "few" spare plants of Sir Edward's Rose.... *coughcough*
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th August 2011, 22:58

Wouldn't hurt to dunk the whole cutting... wear gloves... or just wash them in clean water and pot them up and put them outside in a protected spot. Being outside will kill off this type of fungus. I just leave mine in a pot on the verandah in the elements. At this time of year they NEVER dry out down here so hardening off is easy.

My cuttings don't get that warm so fungus probs are kept to a min. In summer I have probs with fungus on cuttings.

You could plant a hedge of 'Elina'. If it's like other HT it won't get very wide so you could do a massed planting... or... you could get back some of the money you spent on roses this year, place the cuttings in a sheltered spot in the ground and this time next year sell off your surplus roses on Fleabay... is what I do with my spares that I don't give away to people on here. I made $180 in two days a few weeks back selling off one year old struck cuttings at $5-7 each which paid for some of my rose purchases this winter.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th August 2011, 07:45

Elina gets quite wide, my wife has commented several times to move it to a much larger site.

AutumnDamask, no need for more callus, you will get faster growth by getting them into the ground quickly. Great to see a rose callus so fast.
There are roses that have poor ownroot growth and others that don't like to be grafted.
Elina might have everything, very compatable grafted on Multiflora.

All it needs is a strong Damask fragrance to be perfect.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 10th August 2011, 07:58

Thanks for all the advice. Smile Smile

The cuttings from the same batch that I put in vases haven't callused yet - but the leaves are sprouting well! LOL (except the one I put in upside down. haha)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th August 2011, 09:52

I like to have constant moisture, 20 to 25 C temperatures and avoid plastic wrapping. Some air movement around cuttings is beneficial. At this time of year with temps around 10 to 15 C callusing is slower.

I get the best results from callusing in a hessian potato sack free from the Green Grocer (Fruit Market )
Method for 150 cuttings or less hose down one potato sack and hang vertically for 10 minutes. This is about the right moisture content needed until callousing completed. Place the sack on a earth or concrete floor in a darkened place and arrange cuttings along half the sack area and fold the other half over the cuttings. Each day spray the bag to keep moisture constant. Do not allow the bag to dry out or callus will shrink.

There are a lot of methods for gardeners but I am sometimes doing up to 500 at a time. Best of luck.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down