Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Dave, the cuttings are doing well.

3 posters

Go down

Dave, the cuttings are doing well. Empty Dave, the cuttings are doing well.

Post by Admin 21st April 2011, 22:43

Pretty good success with the cuttings you sent already Dave. I've completely lost all the 'Anna Olivier' cuttings. Not sure what happened but I check them tonight and the whole lot had gone black and mouldy. All the rest have calloused and I will most likely have 100% success with them. I'm going to pot them up and put them outside tomorrow. 'Souvenir d'un Ami' is weakly callousing and isn't looking so certain... but still pretty good. Really looking forward to the 'Carabella' cuttings taking off. I've decided to rip out a row of flowering shrubs I have here and put in a 20m hedge of 'Carabella'. I think these cuttings will work in perfectly Smile Even 'Lady Hillingdon' seems to be working this time. Nice big fat callouses already. They'll all go onto the bench under the sprinkler on a timer tomorrow and should get established nicely before winter. Thanks again.

You two budded plants you sent down have started to sprout already. I'll put them out over winter too now I have finished the rabbit/wallaby proof fence around the test bed.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Dave, the cuttings are doing well. Empty Re: Dave, the cuttings are doing well.

Post by Guest 22nd April 2011, 06:44

Simon I read some where tht Lady Hillingdon was sterile both ways, yet I went to this place out of town here in deni and they had a lady Hillingdon which was chocka block full of hips, and the seed looked good inside nice and full. Over in Europe they say a plant is sterile or almost sterile, change its environment , like here in Oz and wonderful things happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd April 2011, 07:05

Dave or Simon, would it be possible to callous the cuttings here and then send them over Tasmania, just a thought. scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd April 2011, 07:22

You know Roseman I thought about that a while ago, sending calused cuttings you would know which where viable, plus they have'nt been in any soil, so they should go through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd April 2011, 09:04

David, over the last 5 weeks I had been callousing cuttings of 'Vivid', an old bourbon I have, for Patricia Routley. I sent these to WA with big fat callouses and quarantine inspected them and allowed them through to her. So the upside is that the callousing still allowed them them to meet the criteria for entry (i.e. no leaves, no roots, no other debris or insects) and it also meant that Patricia is a long way ahead of the game in getting them to strike. A win win I think. So yes, I think pre-calloused cuttings could be sent here so long as they also met the above criteria. It's not so important from here. I can send rooted cuttings/grafted plants without too many hassles to most places. SA is tightening up their entry rules from what I hear but cuttings sent this way should still be ok to SA too.

Warren, Despite being triploid, 'Lady Hillingdon, can produce progeny. As I mentioned to you in past phone conversations, the Tea book has a description and a photo of a lovely white seedling that Lillia Weatherly raised from OP 'Lady Hillingdon' seed. In this recount the 'Tea Ladies' also state they have managed to get seedlings to germinate too. There are plenty of descendants on HMF too. It's not the most productive cultivar, in terms of hip production or pollen fertility, but it is far from sterile and the photo in the Tea book shows a lovely white seedling with petals of great substance that look like they would resist the worst the elements would throw at it with ease. This is why I'd like to use it. That AND the fact that it is a triploid and so will probably produce a mix of 1n and 2n pollen and so could be used with either diploids or tetraploids with at least some success.

Last edited by Simon on 23rd April 2011, 08:33; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 23rd April 2011, 07:01

That's good news about the cuttings, Simon. Yes I like the idea of callousing first.
I'll try some more of Anna Olivier for you. Right now she's covered in over 50 buds and will be a picture this week - and less that half a metre high. Love love this rose.
If you need more Carabella I'll callous it too.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down