Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Tamora or Ellen ?

2 posters

Go down

Tamora or Ellen ? Empty Tamora or Ellen ?

Post by OzRose 9th April 2011, 12:38

This is one of my ???
When I was planting them out , I'd go along with my notebook and make a map of what I put where and then take the labels off .
When one of my little helpers saw me doing this , she went along and took the labels off a patch that I hadn't yet mapped in my notebook >8@ and to make matters worse she put them in an old tissue box to play with them and they got thrown out somewhere along the line . Sad
Most of the others I have managed to name because I have matched the flowers to the list of names that I have where I record all roses as I purchase them but this one I'm still tossing up on , so I'd welcome anyone having a punt.
I'm leaning towards Tamora but ..... I'm not sure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It has the dearest little ruffles on the buds.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The other one that it might posssssibly be is The Friar [because I have got that somewhere too] but I have sort of discounted that on account of it being to apricotty .

cheers Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Tamora or Ellen ? Empty Re: Tamora or Ellen ?

Post by RitaG 9th April 2011, 15:00

Hi Rosalie,

As you know, its always difficult to ID roses from pics, but am willing to take a stab at it even at the risk of looking like a dill Embarassed

On first impression, the long, arching growth and floral spray reminds me of Pegasus and not Tamora. I've grown both (as well as Ellen & The Friar) and colour and bloom are similar. However, the growth, scent and leaf structure are quite different. Tamora has a Myrrh fragrance, whereas Pegasus has a Tea Rose scent. Tamora's leaves are rounded, Pegasus are long and slender. As in your pic, the growth habit & leaf formation make me lean further towards Pegasus.

Ellen was not as full with more Pink and The Friar also had upright growth. But, you are across the opposite end of this vast country and Austin roses are know to have a different growth habit in different parts of the globe.

Here's a pic of Pegasus growing in my other garden, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - unfortunately, I didn't capture its long spray in this shot.

Hope this was a little helpful. Ciao, Rita.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 9th April 2011, 18:00

Pegasus can be ruled out because I know where they are planted .
I shall go and have a closer look at the leaves and have a 'niff while I'm at it .
Thanks for the tips Rita .
It's hard to get the colours right this time of year too because they change with the cooler weather .
I stopped and stared at the partly opened buds on my Gruss an Aachen this morning as they were almost Bonica pink.

I'm pleased that this bush has flowered though because I thought I had lost it , It has almost got swamped by a clump of cannas . When I saw the cane coming up and out I thought it belonged to Claire Rose which is up on the bank just behind it but the flowers aren't Claire Rose so I got got and scrabbled and scratched around and traced it back to a different bush entirely.

I've got another mystery D.A that I'm waiting on to flower so I can try and get a handle on it too. I got it marked down to $6 at Bunnings because it had lost it's label and had no up and coming flower buds on it .
At that price it had to come home with me as I am not squeezed for space yet. Laughing

Thanks. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down