Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge

3 posters

Go down

How would you rate the 7 roses I have chosen for their purpose. Please pick your best 1-4 in your opinion :)

Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_lcap20%Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_rcap2 0% 
[ 0 ]
Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_lcap225%Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_rcap2 25% 
[ 1 ]
Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_lcap225%Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_rcap2 25% 
[ 1 ]
Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_lcap20%Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Vote_rcap2 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Empty Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge

Post by Country Larry 26th May 2017, 18:17

Hi,

My depth of Rose knowledge is limited.

A few years back I planted two roses for the first time. They were Charles de Gaulle & Gold Bunny. Both were planted in the first month of winter and from the second day they were planted outdoors the region experienced a wet and bitterly cold winter. this included 3 weeks of sleet(yes even in Murray Bridge) and icey cold winds. A number of frosts maybe totalling 25-40 over the next 90 or so days also ensued.

To cut my first adventure in Roses short, Gold Bunny was fine and grew wel when I could keep the Kangaroos from chewing the heck out of it however 'Charles' did not survive.

My second venture into Roses began at the same time of year last winter which saw me try 6 Scentimental Standards. Last winter though rainy & wet seemed less frosty. By this I can only remember 4-5 frosts in our garden area, despite more frosts regularly effecting the valley 100-500 meters from the Scentimantals bed. The good new was that all survived and have done very well despite some 'Black Spot' unwantingly visiting them this month.

My question No 1 for the educated within this forum Smile, is. I have purchase 7 bare root Hybrid Teas in the last 48 hours from various local Nurseries. I am in a quandary as to whether throw them out to the wolves now in a bed located 20 metres from the Scentimantals or should I perhaps 'heel' them all into a pot or 3 for the next 80-90 days leaving them in a protected shady spot under the verandah.

The varieties I have chosen are Pope John Paul 2, Royal Highness, Just Joey, Mister Lincoln, Fragrant Plum, Peace & Blue Moon.

My question No 2 is can anyone rate these as to the size/legginess they estimate they may grow at my location. The various rose website do seem to vary this a bit. Factors to consider is that the soil is quite sandy, however with mulch my other Roses seem ok with decent water every now and then. Temperatures can reach 37-45 a number of times during summer (probably 10-30 times a summer dependant on the summer).

if there is any other tips or hints, I'm all ears as well.

I thank you all in advance, this bed is my effort to grow & supply clean long stem fragrant cut roses into our home as often as possible during the warmer months.

Country Larry What a Face

Country Larry

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-05-26

Back to top Go down

Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Empty Re: Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge

Post by LouiseJB 27th May 2017, 13:49

Hi Larry,
I only grow one on your list and that is Pope John Paul II. It is very hardy and depending on where you place it it may grow taller or remain quite compact. I say this as the one that doesn't have to fight for sun stays around 1m while the one that lives in the middle of taller roses gets higher to find the sun. Mine that gets full summer sun was spectacular this year with 60+ blooms per flush.

Some people put their roses in pots the first season to determine their growth habit. Plus it gives you a bit extra time to get your rose beds sorted out. But if you do put them straight in the ground remember you can always move them if they are not happy in their spot. But I wouldn't move them again until the following winter.

With sandy soil you may have to fertilise more regularly. Say every 6-8 weeks instead of every season. I'd also check the pH of your soils as roses like 6.5 to 7. Roses are better with deeper watering as it encourages their roots to go deeper into the ground and become more drought resistant. Seasol applications also help the plant during extreme environmental conditions. Don't worry too much about black spot this time of year. They are heading towards their rest time and isn't unusual heading into winter.

Hope this helps,
Louise.

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge Empty Re: Heel in for 2-3 months or direct plant now - Murray Bridge

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th May 2017, 07:51

Question 1 = plant now.
Questioin 2 = shortest will be Blue Moon and Just Joey, I would say. The tallest will be Mr Lincoln, Royal Highness, Pope John Paul 2, then Peace and Frarant Plum.
As you are at Murray Bridge I assume you do not get a lot of humidity. Of the roses you have chosen, 'Peace' comes with it's own "black spot. in my experience. Mr Lincoln will go purple in your hottest times. If you want the stem length, look at Papa Meiland or Camp David, both fragrant and do not go "as" purple as Mr L. You could concider 'Oklahoma" as well. The height of roses vary to the growing conditions and location, this can vary even in a micro climate such as two gardens only a street apart or even in one yard.
As for other things I might suggest are, as you mentioned the soils is on the 'sandy' side, try to add as much organic material, cow/sheep/chook poo, composted mushrom(must be old) worm casting/juice. Lots of mulch, different forms( clean lucerne/straw) and size, size will help in a couple of ways, small suff will break down quicker, larger will surpress weeds. Water is going to be a VERYimportant part of the success of this rose bed. If you have water, lots of it. I would suggest a drip system, it directs the water to the plant and cuts down on useage. Liquid feed of seasol or similar at planting time and it is my preference to do this every couple of weeks during their fist season, even if it is at half strength. Look on "google" for liquid tea fertilizers. I prefer liquid feeds as it gets to the roots system/pklant better/quicker than solid ferts.
Don't hesitate nto get in touch.
David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th May 2017, 07:54

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Question 1 = plant now.
Questioin 2 = shortest will be Blue Moon and Just Joey, I would say. The tallest will be Mr Lincoln, Royal Highness, Pope John Paul 2, then Peace and Frarant Plum.
As you are at Murray Bridge I assume you do not get a lot of humidity. Of the roses you have chosen, 'Peace' comes with it's own "black spot. in my experience. Mr Lincoln will go purple in your hottest times. If you want the stem length, look at Papa Meiland or Camp David, both fragrant and do not go "as" purple as Mr L. You could concider 'Oklahoma" as well. The height of roses vary to the growing conditions and location, this can vary even in a micro climate such as two gardens only a street apart or even in one yard.
As for other things I might suggest are, as you mentioned the soils is on the 'sandy' side, try to add as much organic material, cow/sheep/chook poo, composted mushrom(must be old) worm casting/juice. Lots of mulch, different forms( clean lucerne/straw) and size, size will help in a couple of ways, small suff will break down quicker, larger will surpress weeds. Water is going to be a VERY important part of the success of this rose bed. If you have water, lots of it. I would suggest a drip system, it directs the water to the plant and cuts down on useage. Liquid feed of seasol or similar at planting time and it is my preference to do this every couple of weeks during their fist season, even if it is at half strength. Look on "google" for liquid tea fertilizers. I prefer liquid feeds as it gets to the roots system/pklant better/quicker than solid ferts.
As Louise has said aswell
Don't hesitate to get in touch.
David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down