Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ?

+5
RosyTeesh
Barbara B
The Lazy Rosarian
silkyfizz
dannyboy
9 posters

Go down

How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ? Empty How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ?

Post by dannyboy 12th December 2012, 15:31

Just like to ask the question how often people water there roses in there garden beds.I have a fair view young barerooted roses I bought this year and a few established roses in the bed.At the moment I give the younger ones during the hot weather 30 degrees and over 2 to 3 times a week and the older ones a bit less.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ? Empty Re: How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ?

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 15:38

Danny, my young roses get watered about twice weekly and established about once a week - 10 days. Depends on conditions and where they are in my garden (eg. areas near tree roots are dry spots, west facing need more), how heavily mulched etc. I check the soil before watering.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ? Empty Re: How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th December 2012, 15:55

Danny, could you describe the soils in your garden please, this has a lot to do with the watering habits.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 12th December 2012, 20:01

Hi,
I haven't needed to water them yet this summer.
When it heats up, I usually water every second day or so but then they get a good soaking.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 12th December 2012, 20:22

I water all the garden roses (including the 3 month old bare rooted roses) twice a week if it is scorching hot with no rain. If it rains at least once a week I don't water them at all. Some of our roses in the front yard I never water because it's really hard to get the hose out the front, and they are actually some of the healthiest we have - Haha.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 12th December 2012, 20:35

new plantings should go into a slurry and be kept wet until 3-5 sets of leaves. from then on slow flow with decreasing frequency is best. improving soil organic levels reduces frequency.

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 12th December 2012, 20:38

Danny if its a hot week , i water every 2-3 days , this year i'm giving them more water than last year , i was watering once maybe twice a week last year , i'm seeing a improvement this year , just got to get up earlier lol ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 12th December 2012, 22:02

Danny, I found this a very hard question to answer, we have had no rain at all for couple of months so our ground is very, very dry. I/we have some roses that are getting near 20 yrs old and with the lack of rain and the fact that our temps have been in the high 30's I do not and have not watered at all. They are fine. Our new roses, David's block of yellow roses I watered for 4 hours today, not drippers, they have spaghetti trickle stuff and hopefully depending on the drying winds, temp etc I wont do them again for about 5 days. Tomorrow on Davids special strip of 4 roses with dripers I will put that on for 2 hrs. I I do that every second day. The other roses get water every other day, some with a hose and some with sprinklers. If it should happen to rain then I am laughing and so are the plants . So what do you do, if you have had some decent rain then you dont need to water. No rain then I would give them a good long drink every 3 days.
No rain in sight here so I will be out watering again tomorrow How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ? 1303145595
PS: if anyone has any spare rain can they send to us please.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 22:16

Carole, can you please explain "spaghetti trickle stuff"? I'm trying to imagine what you mean but I can't. Maybe it's the heat...
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 12th December 2012, 23:53

It is like spaghetti and it goes into the hosey pipey stuff instead of drippers. That is about as clear as mud isn't it. I will get David to explain, he who puts it in should be able to explain better than I .
What I do know is that I like it much better than drippers as I get more water to the plants in less time.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 12th December 2012, 23:56

A Photographer will do........
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th December 2012, 00:15

Thanks Carole but I think I need a photo to help me, I'm not very mechanical minded.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 13th December 2012, 03:30

Thanks guys for the advice and posts.I'm watering a bit more this year and have had good results. David the soil up my way has a bit of clay in it.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th December 2012, 15:12

silkyfizz wrote:Carole, can you please explain "spaghetti trickle stuff"? I'm trying to imagine what you mean but I can't. Maybe it's the heat...

This is what is referred to as spaghetti irrigation below because of it's diameter, normally used for pots/hanging baskets, very water economical. A dripper may be attached with a Lt/hour value.

This is a part roll of it 4mm dia

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The one below is of 8mm and some lengths added

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th December 2012, 15:47

Danny does the soil hold water ? or does it drain away quickly. IMO as you can see fro Carole's posts some of ours just have to survive. How long have the older ones been in the ground ? I ask this as the older the plant gets the roots tend to go down in the soil looking for moisture. So as I started to say IMO[b] one[/b] good drink a week will be enough so they survive. Over watering will make surface roots and not tap roots. Lets say you go away for a month and they receive no water what happens if you water every day, they go backwards if you deep water they can survive. Lots of water will also give lots of basal/watershoots. Getting the balance is hard but achievable.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 13th December 2012, 21:41

We have posted the spaghetti pictures John.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th December 2012, 22:00

Thank you for the photo, now I get it lol.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down