Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A rose to grow on a south facing verandah

+5
Balinbear
rosebud
AutumnDamask
The Lazy Rosarian
Debbie G
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A rose to grow on a south facing verandah Empty A rose to grow on a south facing verandah

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 13:09

Thinking about roses to order this year, has anyone some ideas for a rose to grow to screen a south facing verandah? It gets plenty of light, but sun only for a few hours in the afternoon, from the west. I have a white 'The Pearl' banksia rose at one end of the verandah. I'd like something with not many thorns. Any ideas?

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

A rose to grow on a south facing verandah Empty Re: A rose to grow on a south facing verandah

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th January 2014, 15:20

Debbie, can you tell me a bit more about Banksia 'the Pearl' please, I would like to look at the rose on HMF and some of it's relatives.
The biggest thing will be the southern cool/wetness of that area.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

A rose to grow on a south facing verandah Empty Re: A rose to grow on a south facing verandah

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 16:02

I don't know a lot about 'The pearl', David. I think I read somewhere that it's a cross between the white banks rose and a miniature. I bought mine as a cutting at an open garden in Canowindra quite a few years ago.
It's semi-double, some scent (not much), very pretty loose bunches of white flowers for ages in spring with the odd flower in autumn.
It's not nearly as big as the yellow banksia. It's a lovely thing, I have a photo, though not a close up, but don't know how to do photos.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 16:07

The area I'm thinking of planting another rose is protected from frost, and well drained. As it's right against the house I try not to water too much there, but I think there would be adequate moisture.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th January 2014, 16:38

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
'The Pearl"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 17:17

Thanks David. The rose they have pictured is a bit more double than mine. If you google 'The pearl' and scroll down to the Sacramento cemetery site they have a few different banksia roses pictured, I love the single ones. My Pearl is exactly like the one in their photo.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 17:23

Actually, I take that back, mustn't have had my glasses on. The help me find one is the same as mine, I checked my photo. It just looked a bit more double when i first looked at it.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 27th January 2014, 17:35

I've just realised that help me find has heaps of photos, not just one! It's a great site! The photo I looked at first did look more double, for some reason. The Pearl is definitely semi-double, with nice stamens in the middle, a bit like cherry blossom. I will now retire and not say another word in case you think I'm totally mad!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 31st January 2014, 05:49

I have an 'Adelaide d'Orleans' facing full south and it's.... enthusiastic. *g*
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 31st January 2014, 15:54

The noisette rose, Mme Alfred Carriere, is almost thornless, copes with some shade and is also tough once established. It does get fairly large though (I believe up to 5 m x 5 m) which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the area you want covered.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 31st January 2014, 18:30

AutumnDamask wrote:I have an 'Adelaide d'Orleans' facing full south and it's.... enthusiastic. *g*

It would be a bit thorny for a verandah though.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 31st January 2014, 20:43

Balinbear wrote:
AutumnDamask wrote:I have an 'Adelaide d'Orleans' facing full south and it's.... enthusiastic. *g*

It would be a bit thorny for a verandah though.
True. I missed that requirement. Smile
I wouldn't mind betting that good old Lamarque would be fine. And Mme Alfred C as someone else has mentioned.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 31st January 2014, 21:56

Are the Albas thorny? Apparently they do very well in the shade, and the foliage is super lovely.

Is your banksia rose evergreen though? It might look a bit weird in winter having one side of the verandah clothed in green and the other half all naked Wink
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 31st January 2014, 23:34

Thanks for all those ideas. Maybe i should just grow something else there, like a snail vine or something? But I'd rather like to at least try a rose. I'm wondering about a hybrid musk, as they are supposed to tolerate some shade. I love Cornelia, but the one I have is getting swallowed up by a manchurian pear, so I might have to remove her. I might try another Cornelia near the verandah. The other one I like the sound of is Autumn Delight. Might not be big enough, but I could plant two. What do you think? I've never seen this one in the flesh.
The banksia rose is evergreen Muscovy, but I don't think it would matter.
I think Mme Alfred would be lovely, but maybe a bit big. I have her on my 'definites' list to plant on the other end of the pergola out the back, where she will have plenty of room.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 1st February 2014, 14:25

Of course you're right about the evergreen vs deciduous thing Debbie - after all, it will look very similar to what you have now! How silly of me! *must remember to think before posting*

Would it be possible to move your Cornelia out from under the tree and over to the verandah, and just see how she goes? I must say I don't know what the root system of a manchurian pear is like... Could be a total nightmare trying to dig her out.

Don't know if scent is a factor for you, but there's a HM very similar to Cornelia called Felicia - she is very slightly more apricot pink in colour, but her fragrance is quite a bit stronger to my nose. And not very thorny!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 1st February 2014, 18:28

I'm not sure that I could move Cornelia, she's been there a long time, well over 10 years, which is a long time for me. (My sister always tells me she's planning to put on my grave stone: "Dig up and move every 6 months.") The two manchurian pears were planted when we moved here, they are the tall skinny ones and have proved wonderful in the narrow side garden for screening and shading the house. But the one nearest Cornelia seems to have overwhelmed her a bit for the last couple of years, so I might start with a new plant.
I've coveted Felicia for a while too. I did have one many years ago in Dubbo, but it was always a scrawny looking plant, though I don't think I understood about different kinds of roses back then, I thought they should all look like HTs

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 2nd February 2014, 09:08

Hahaha Debbie, best inscription ever! Your sister is hilarious!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 2nd February 2014, 09:12

Cornelia is an easy one to do from cuttings. If you dig up the old one you could end up with a hundred new ones.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2014, 09:52

Although there has been a diversification of the form of roses and a far greater acceptance of difference to me nothing beats a classically formed HT with abundance of fragrance. e.g. Pope John Paul 11, Admiral Rodney, Mr Lincoln etc.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 2nd February 2014, 11:04

Must admit, Ausrose, I met the Pope at Bunnings a couple of weeks back, and I was smitten! What a perfume! And yes, you can't go past Mr Lincoln or Oklahoma.
I grew up with HTs, my aunt grew them to show. I remember being in love with 'Alpine Sunset' because of the Heidi books. And I still remember the excitement of being taken down the garden to see the first amazing flower of Super Star!
But my garden is a bit cottagey and informal and the old style roses just seem to fit there. I really love something about the informal style of the bushes, and I love reading the history and knowing that someone 100 years ago loved a rose that is growing in my garden today. I don't know why I like the old roses, it's funny really, but I love old buildings and old books and old needlework, who knows? But when I win the lottery, I'm going to have a picking garden where I can grow HTs to cut and bring inside - masses of them!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 2nd February 2014, 11:07

I've never grown a rose cutting, but I can do geraniums. Is it too late in the year to do it now?

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd February 2014, 12:04

No Debbie, be careful of the heat factor over at Parkes
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 2nd February 2014, 12:41

I might just try in late March or April. Just for fun!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 2nd February 2014, 17:19

If you have some spare time I would suggest you put some cuttings down the following way and see what happens.Place the cuttings as you described in coarse river sand about 10cm deep in a styrofoam box and place the box under a tree in dappled light and sprayed them with water twice a day during the hot weather.

I'm about to put some down in Western Sydney where the temps have been over 38 degrees centigrade for a record number of days and the forecast to continue.Despite the heat I am confident of a good success rate based on previous experience. The secret is to keep the sand moist and out of direct sun.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 2nd February 2014, 17:43

Thanks Ausrose, I'll do that. It's 38 here now, but supposed to cool down a bit in the next few days. I can hardly wait for Autumn!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next