Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick? Empty Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick?

Post by muscovyduckling 28th November 2013, 22:08

Hi again folks,

Popped înto the hardware store today to grab a couple of things, and saw they had a few roses there. Monsieur Tillier looked and smelled incredible! He is on my hit list for sure! But they also had a DA rose with a sort of similar colour and fragrance but with differently shaped blooms called The Alnwick, which I thought was really lovely.

I've never heard of it before so I assume it's not one of his more popular roses. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this rose? Or DA's in general?

Cheers, Z.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick? Empty Re: Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick?

Post by AutumnDamask 29th November 2013, 06:49

That would be 'The Alnwick Rose' (named for the Percys at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], if I recall correctly)
I have it growing in a half wine barrel. Nice rose, probably no more inclined to black spot any more than anything else. Not as generous with blooms as my Tess, but then it is in a pot and I haven't really *nailed* it yet for getting that exactly right. Dan would have a better idea. Smile
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick? Empty Re: Anyone grow DA rose called The Alnwick?

Post by jordan71 29th November 2013, 06:53

hello musco, I agree with Wendy there , as far as the colour goes its superb , performance wise cant say its great , bit of black spot magnet, and she is tight with her production of blooms , she is yet to bloom this year , I think altogether I had half dozen blooms out of it last year , so is it one that I recommend ? have to say no.
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 29th November 2013, 08:45

Mine's had a few blooms. Quite a few new buds that will most likely break open about Christmas. If it was in the ground and in a slightly different aspect, who knows. Smile
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 29th November 2013, 09:06

Taken this morning:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 29th November 2013, 10:19

Thanks for the pics Autumn Damask - the one I saw was a more orangey-pinkish-brick type colour, but yours looks light pink, which is good to know. From what you guys have said about this rose, I might just stick with M. Tillier instead!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 29th November 2013, 10:23

On that note, do any of the DA's do really well? He has bred some very beautiful roses, and the blooms all look really great individually, but how to the actual plants go, and do they ever really get covered in blooms? Or a they more a specimen type plant?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th November 2013, 12:36

Zoe, some of his roses do better than others here and the other consideration is location. Do you like it, The Alnwick Rose for it's colour and if so I could check with David Austin's people to see if they could recommend a better one.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 29th November 2013, 15:51

Thanks Roseman - I did like the colour I saw in the hardware store but Autumn Damask's plant looks more like a pale pink rose, and there are other pale pink hybrid musks and floribundas that I like better and I know will grow in this area. So I'm not that fussed Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down