Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Getting a rose to grow

+3
neptune
Dimity Cottage
Happy roses
7 posters

Go down

Getting a rose to grow Empty Getting a rose to grow

Post by Happy roses 5th September 2013, 08:22

I know this has been brought up before and I cannot find the link, but how long do you give a rose before you give up and replace it. I have a rose that inspite of feeding watering etc just seems to be happy to be a one cane wonder. Any suggestions would be welcome. It's about 2-3 years old and everything else is growing fine and they get the same treatment. I read there are ways to stimulate growth I think involving a wire brush?

Thanks
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Getting a rose to grow Empty Re: Getting a rose to grow

Post by Dimity Cottage 5th September 2013, 09:12

Hi Happy Roses could I please ask the name of your rose & is it grafted & did you buy it online from a reputable rose grower. I have found some roses from chain stores a bit tricky sometimes, I now know just where to buy mine from.
You could try what I use when planting a new rose, I know people say don't fertilizer bare rooted roses when planting but I do & I have absolutely beautiful results now. When planting I dig my hole & in the bottom of the hole I put Dried 1/4 cup Kelp & Fish Fertilizer, 1/4 cup Rockdust (just love Rockdust), & 1/2 cup, SEAMUNGUS (made by Neutrog SUDDEN IMPACT people). You could either dig your rose up & do this or do it on the top of the soil & dig in a little. You might like to GOOGLE these products up & see just what they can do for your plants & soil, they are fabulous.
Another question? Have you had a rose planted in the same spot before you planted this one & if so did you dig a big hole & replace all the soil before planting the rose you have in now, roses do not like going into where another rose has been taken out of? If you didn't replace soil that may have been the problem. I always make sure I fungicide the hole as well before putting a new rose in the same spot. I hope this info helps you a little. Coming up Roses
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 5th September 2013, 10:02

Thank you Dimity, it's a Blue moon, grafted and the place I get it from is pretty good. They pot the roses themselves when they receive them and I was warned at the time to leave it in the pot for a couple more weeks before planting which I did. I think it was still too early when I put it in a new pot, which it's still in, because after looking initially healthly it went downhill and has never really come good. I have seamungus but not the others so will have to look for them.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 5th September 2013, 10:33

Your patient Happy......I personally would have got rid of it after twelve months.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th September 2013, 12:29

I would remove it from the pot and look for new root growth and also look at the soil in the pot.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 5th September 2013, 13:44

Dianne, forgive my ignorance, but does seamungus differ greatly from Seasol? I've googled seamungus and it has manure in it. Is this the only difference?
Also rock dust. On the web site, among other things, they use it to get rid/deter aphids. Do you mix it with water or what? They talked about using a fine spray. Sounds interesting anyway.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 5th September 2013, 14:24

Hi Sue, Have just got the bit below from the website, it is used for more than just a fertilizer. In winter I use that as well as the Rockdust to give my garden a lift for the coming season. I told you I love Rockdust. I put mine on or in the garden & if sometimes give the plants a bit of a dusting with it. Keeps them healthy. I buy my Rockdust in the 10kg bags from Herbs2Home.

Used for revitalising all plants throughout the year (including natives) and is ideal for establishing new plants, particularly bare-rooted roses.

Contains the full range of plant nutrients in a natural form.
•Pellet form
•BFA Certified

Manufactured from seaweed, fish, humic acid and manure.

Seamungus is a great winter fertliser - helping your plants resist frost, pests and disease as well as conditioning the soil and encouraging root growth, giving them a head start for spring.

Use Seamungus as part of your Year Round Fertilising Program
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 5th September 2013, 15:51

Every now and the there is a rose that doesn't make it. I've heard many reasons one I subscribe to is the rose has dried out at some stage in its journey from the field to the nursery.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 5th September 2013, 17:43

roseman is right, get it out of the pot and check what is going on, my guess is that it mght be too wet. wet feet is the fastest road to rosey graveyards

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 5th September 2013, 18:35

Thanks Dianne. Wish I'd known this when I put my new roses in a few weeks ago.
My friend bought a rose in a pot, just like you, Happy roses, and it acted in the same way. She was advised to tip it out and found it's roots had rotted. Why or how, she didn't know. So I think roseman's advice is very timely.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 5th September 2013, 19:37

Roseman is a Very Wise RoseMan.
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 6th September 2013, 07:43

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I did check the roots about a month ago and they seem to be fine...Found a few curl grubs which I got rid of.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down