Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose?

+2
The Lazy Rosarian
Jac2
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? Empty Can anybody identify this David Austin rose?

Post by Jac2 6th October 2012, 10:41

Here is a rose I bought from BigW with a Graham Thomas label. I was extremely cheesed off when the round orange buds first appeared, but not for long, because this magnificent thing turned up:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It smells like Turkish delight and will not let you go, once you stick your nose into it.

I don’t think I could have been any happier with GT, but will still definitely get one.

I’m thinking, maybe it’s Charles Darwin; can anybody confirm this or suggest what it might be?
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? Empty Re: Can anybody identify this David Austin rose?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th October 2012, 10:50

Jac, on first look I thought 'Heritage' then maybe to much yellow of a centre.
The best bet is contact David Austin England, they will ID it. From memory it will go to Micheal Marriott for ID.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? Empty Re: Can anybody identify this David Austin rose?

Post by Jac2 6th October 2012, 10:58

Thanks, David, I might do that and ask about my “Rebecca” at the same time.
Heritage has smaller blooms and a lovely fresh pink. This one is fuller and more globular, and in the Julia’s Rose colour range, turning beige in old age.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th October 2012, 11:13

Jac, the name 'Rebecca" doesn't come up as a DA from his site.
As always they will want shots of all parts of the rose, including from bud to blown flower.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th October 2012, 11:42

Charles Darwin looks good..
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Poesie 6th October 2012, 23:35

It is similar to The Generous Gardener (but buds?)...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Poesie
Poesie

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-03-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2DCf46-qk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th October 2012, 05:46

It is very close to it Poesie, but to the best of my knowledge it available yet in Australia.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th October 2012, 09:48

Jac your unknown Austin, I would say it could be A Shropshire Lad

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 17:50

i have lots of austins and i dont think its charles darwin , could be shropshire lad like ozroz said
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th October 2012, 21:07

Ozroz wrote:Jac your unknown Austin, I would say it could be A Shropshire Lad
Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? 2171684240

I flicked through a DA catalogue yesterday (specifically for this post) and A Shropshire Lad was the one that made me wonder... Smile (And it is easily available here)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th October 2012, 21:26

Thank you all so much for flicking through catalogues and googling.

I took David's advice and wrote to DA, packing the e-mail with photos of all relevant parts of both roses, but haven’t heard back yet. There would be a time delay.

“Rebecca” was the name I temporarily gave to the blooms that sported off my Jude bush, remember, David, I spotted a rose by that name in one of your photos taken at the DA nursery. You said it was part of their cut flower range and not available here.

I thought maybe someone here would have this rose and recognize it. Charles Darwin is the closest match in description I could find, and the colour is a reasonable match (the blooms of my rose resemble Jude the Obscure’s in size and form).

Thanks’ for that link, Poesie, The Generous Gardener looks beautify and very similar to mine; it was actually on my list and I found it wasn’t available here when I tried to order it. That was easy to eliminate from all possibilities … for a very unfortunate reason.

The buds and young flowers are a very close match to A Shropshire Lad, Warren and AutumnDamask, that’s one I hadn’t considered at all; yes it could be it.
The way the petals unfold over time and later blooms don’t really match that well, but my photos show the first flush, which always produces slightly larger blooms, and that might be the reason. Colour? Hmmmm…. more of a maybe, but very dependent on climate; yes it could be it.

I got a photo of the second flush today, and was very surprised to see how different it is to the first …

Granny blooms turn beige on my bush, and the only time I ever saw “beige” mentioned is among Charles Darwin comments. I had decided to call its colour beige independently, before looking at any comments.
Do you have a CD, Jordan?

I will let you all know what the DA team thinks it is when they reply
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 21:29

CD, Jordan ??

what jac ?
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 21:32

oh sorry u mean charles darwin ?

no i dont have it

there is few austins that i really like . that i havent been able to get . .but i'm sure i will come across some in the future LOL
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th October 2012, 21:33

Which once?
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 21:41

shropshire lad , charles darwin .. and few of his really old releases .. but i have do have lots of austins so at this stage not rushing to get more LOL
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th October 2012, 21:45

I hear you.
I’ve looked at Shropshire Lad, too, but don’t have one yet …
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 21:48

it seems that lot of nurseries dont keep the old david austin rose jac,

guess they are not as hardy as we would wanna believe.. some of the ones that i really love . even mr austin himself took out of his catalogue

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th October 2012, 21:54

jordan71 wrote:it seems that lot of nurseries dont keep the old david austin rose jac,

guess they are not as hardy as we would wanna believe.. some of the ones that i really love . even mr austin himself took out of his catalogue

It was in DA's 2010/11 catalogue ....

Hedgerow Nursery have it, as well as a *lot* of earlier Austins.

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? 294053457
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 21:56

AutumnDamask wrote:
jordan71 wrote:it seems that lot of nurseries dont keep the old david austin rose jac,

It was in DA's 2010/11 catalogue ....

Hedgerow Nursery have it, as well as a *lot* of earlier Austins.

Can anybody identify this David Austin rose? 294053457

thanks wendy,

i did contact them .. when i wanted to get few .. at that time i was told not available

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th October 2012, 22:03

even mr austin himself took out of his catalogue

I wonder, if that’s because he thinks they’re no good or if it has to do with expenses of keeping them under patent. Might be better to restrict that expense to all the new releases, as the public seems to jump to them.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 22:06

i think in minor cases jac , they dont perform as well as he intended when he bred them, and in some cases they do better in warmer climates then england.. and in some cases he kept some of the old ones stricly for collectors
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th October 2012, 22:16

I’ve got one of those: The Knight
I bought it locally on short notice, thinking it was The Prince, a real beauty; got them mixed up. Comments on HMF suggest DA discontinued it, because he thought it was inferior and not worth continuing, recommending it only for collectors.
I can’t see a thing wrong with TK; it’s very healthy and the blooms are pretty. They just don’t follow the typical DA trend.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th October 2012, 22:19

Jac2 wrote:I’ve got one of those: The Knight
I bought it locally on short notice, thinking it was The Prince, a real beauty; got them mixed up. Comments on HMF suggest DA discontinued it, because he thought it was inferior and not worth continuing, recommending it only for collectors.
I can’t see a thing wrong with TK; it’s very healthy and the blooms are pretty. They just don’t follow the typical DA trend.

thats another great rose jac , i have it and i love it ,, really good rose .. like i said he seems to think most of the new one he breeds will perform better in his climate .. i blelieve the knight wasnt the best performer for him from few articles that i came across, as far as i know its a great rose for the australian climate
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 8th October 2012, 01:07

You know more than I, Jordan. I made a good effort to find everything I could on TK, but never saw these articles. I got this info from HMF. Yes, there’s nothing wrong with TK here in Brisbane either; it just doesn’t look like a typical DA. The blooms remind me a bit of Monsieur Tiller’s in shape and colour, but the growth is quite different.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 8th October 2012, 08:16

was trying to find the articles that i saw online , it was a long time ago .. even so he mentions that in his book . just gotta remember which book grrrrrr
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next