Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong' HT.

3 posters

Go down

looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong'  HT. Empty looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong' HT.

Post by Ozeboy 8th October 2010, 17:17

Can anyone help with 'Charlotte Armstrong' cutting suitable for budwood.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong'  HT. Empty Re: looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong' HT.

Post by Guest 8th October 2010, 17:27

are you going to use it to breed from oze?

Back to top Go down

looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong'  HT. Empty Re: looking for 'Charlotte Armstrong' HT.

Post by Ozeboy 8th October 2010, 19:25

Yes, if it's good enough for Swim to use it repeatedly then must be good enough for me.

Is there anything I should know?

Can you help with some budwood?

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th October 2010, 20:37

Bruce... one interesting thing... last season a friend in the U.S. sent me OP seeds from 'Sister Therese', seed parent of 'Charlotte Armstrong'. The seeds came up easily and quickly and grew to about 5cm tall and then got the worst case of mildew I've ever seen. Every seedling died off from mildew within 2 weeks. Not too far back is the infamous 'Soleil d'Or'... Personally I would be cautious using it. Damo loves it... I hope it is healthier than the 'Sister Therese' seedlings were.

Last edited by Simon on 2nd January 2012, 23:26; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th October 2010, 21:35

Simon, I picked it because of all the good roses bred from it. Roundelay is one and numerous other roses listed as good in heat and humidity.

I will be cautious but would like to give it a try. Swim breeds a lot of healthy roses from it also.

Thanks for the warning.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by russcole 8th October 2010, 22:07

I had the same idea but my aproach was to use Chrysler Imperial and First Love both ways, 2 of Charlottes decendants that have bred good roses themselves. So far without success. Last year I had 600 seeds from FL and 100 from CI without a single germination(my low germination is a problem)
This year I have similar nos.
FL sets seed easily but seems slow to ripen. In the past CI has been slow to bloom and had limited pollen but this year it is looking much more advanced.
I will continue to persevere with my" Charlotte Armstrong" line as like you I think it has been a very successful breeding parent
Russ.

russcole

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th October 2010, 00:51

Bruce... check this out on HMF: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . This member in NSW lists it in their garden. Maybe you could contact them and ask for some budwood. I have a feeling Damian also has it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th October 2010, 00:54

Yes.. he does have it. Just went back through old posts here and found this:

Speaking of faves, I cut my 'Charlotte Armstrong' back today ready to be moved! I hope she makes it; I took some cuttings just in case! LOL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th October 2010, 06:36

Thanks Simon have sent Damo a message. He could have a gauze bag on every cane of Charlotte Armstrong. I hope to make 6 plants fast as possible for use next season.

Russ, have noted your above experiences, thanks and best of luck this season.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down