Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined

+4
Blackrose
The Lazy Rosarian
Admin
Lauriek
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined Empty Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined

Post by Lauriek 6th June 2010, 00:08

Hello Everyone, I've just joined RT. I love roses but am not an expert by any means. I have lived in my current house for about 21 months here in Hawthorn in Melbourne. I have Peace, which I dug up and transplanted from my old place; Lady Hillingdon; Camp David; Sonia; Our Copper Queen; Queen Elizabeth (currently in a pot and about to be planted out); Gold Bunny (climbing); Pauls Scarlet Climber; and two that I can't identify. Hope to learn more from this group. Very Happy

Lauriek

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined Empty Re: Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined

Post by Admin 6th June 2010, 00:13

Hi Laurie... sorry about the Spanish Inquisition earlier... now that you are hear I'm looking forward to getting to know you better Smile

We have an ID forum where you can post photos of you unknown roses. It's often difficult to ID roses from photos so if you decide to go down that path try and take plenty of photos of lots of different parts like leaves, thorns, buds, flowers, stipules etc.

Welcome aboard Mexican Wave

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined Empty Re: Hello from Melbourne - I've just joined

Post by Guest 6th June 2010, 00:19

Hi & welcome Lauriek! Wave

I was reading up on 'Our Copper Queen' a bit earlier tonight (thinking about putting its pollen on 'Big Purple')! I have read it is healthy but I don't know anyone who grows it! How does it grow for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 6th June 2010, 00:26

Thank you Simon. One of the unidentified roses was given to me after it was dug up from someone's garden. As it had been pruned, I had no idea what colour. It is a gorgeous pale pale apricot but it's not flowering now so I'll have to wait till spring to take some pics. Quite prolific and gorgeous perfume on reasonable long stems. The other one is rather strange. I think the scion has died and the graft just taken off. It produces this rather poor small insipid pink flower and had quite small leaves so I suspect it is all the graft just happily growing. It was in the garden when I arrived here. It is coming out. Paul's Scarlet needs a lot of tlc too. It hasn't been pruned well and it being difficult to train up the fence. I might just remove it. Anyway, thank you for the welcome.

Lauriek

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th June 2010, 00:29

If it's a rootstock yo ucould also try grafting something more desireable onto it too. Not that hard to do in the spring when things are growing strongly.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 6th June 2010, 00:31

Damo wrote:Hi & welcome Lauriek! Wave

I was reading up on 'Our Copper Queen' a bit earlier tonight (thinking about putting its pollen on 'Big Purple')! I have read it is healthy but I don't know anyone who grows it! How does it grow for you?

Thank you for the welcome, Damo.
My specimen of Our Copper Queen was doing very well in the garden of my previous house. When I moved, I dug it up and planted it in a pot. She didn't take too kindly to that but it's been in the ground for about 8 months now. It is doing much better now. Still small in stature but I picked a gorgeous bloom off it today (yesterday - Saturday). Don't tell me the members of RT are insomniacs! Wink Dunno

Lauriek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th June 2010, 00:37

Thankyou for that info Lauriek...I think I will get it & make the cross! Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th June 2010, 07:23

Welcome Laurie to the 24 hour RT forum. It would be unusual to not find someone on here. Simon and Damo are our true night owls. Others during the day. Some before work. Bernhard from Germany pops in anytime. As you will find we have lots of Mexicans(Victorians) you will come across in time. Hope you enjoy this forum, we might even meet in Sept as my wife and I are coming down then for a couple of weeks, for now happy rose gardening.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrose 6th June 2010, 08:32

Hi and welcome Wave
Blackrose
Blackrose

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 6th June 2010, 10:46

This seems to be such a nice forum! Thank you all for the welcome.

Lauriek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 6th June 2010, 13:43

Hello Lauriek, you will find this forum very helpful expanding your knowledge.

Simon has made a great contribution exposing us all to rose breeding.

The members are a very nice, friendly group people always willing to help with cuttings and information.

I am sure you will get more enjoyment from your roses by being a member.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 6th June 2010, 23:44

A very warm welcome Lauriek. I hope you enjoy the forum.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 7th June 2010, 10:55

Hi and hello sunny
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th June 2010, 15:20

Gidday from the Sunny Coast.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down