Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Just joined. Where to buy rare roses?

4 posters

Go down

Just joined. Where to buy rare roses? Empty Just joined. Where to buy rare roses?

Post by felicite 28th December 2017, 09:50

Hello! I have just joined the forum and thought I should say hi. I grow roses (last count around 300) in my garden in the Southern Tablelands of NSW. Mainly old varieties and a bit of everything...Teas, Noisettes, Centerfolias, Bourbons. I am finding it increasingly difficult to source some of the rarer ones. Misty Downs has been my go nursery in the past, but they seem to have dissappeared. Does anyone know if they are still operating, and any other places I can get rare varieties? Thanks, Felicite
felicite
felicite

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-12-28

Back to top Go down

Just joined. Where to buy rare roses? Empty Re: Just joined. Where to buy rare roses?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th December 2017, 22:29

Hello Felicite, I am off to bed now and will answer this in the morning, Neptune might post something if he pulls the list of nurseries out before me as he is on a total different time frame to us as he lives in Western Australia.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Just joined. Where to buy rare roses? Empty Re: Just joined. Where to buy rare roses?

Post by neptune 29th December 2017, 01:46

You can try Treloars, Knights, Magic Garden Roses, or Wagners Rose Nursery....... see how you go with them.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th December 2017, 06:19

Take Two, the first one went into cyberspace.

Thanks John.

Morning Felicite, Below I have attached a link to some nurseries, some have closed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you are in the Southern Highlands there is a great little one at Fitzroy Falls run by Steve and Sue,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I would look at Reliable Roses at Silvan, Vic, run by Jean Newman has a great selection of old roses.

My other would be Thomas' in South Australia.

As for Misty, Noel and Judy have come out of roses, one of their employees is running that side. They should be back in business this coming Winter, it is a long story.

Hope this helps, just ask if you need more info.

David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by felicite 29th December 2017, 07:34

Thanks very much for your help Neptune. Much appreciated.
felicite
felicite

Back to top Go down

Post by felicite 29th December 2017, 07:42

Morning John. Thanks so much for the list and suggestions. Yes I have lots of roses from Sue & Steve and have found their knowledge and advice invaluable! I'll definitely be trying the others you and Neptune have suggested. Thank you to for the explanation re Misty Downs. I certainly hope to see them back in the future. All the best! Felicite
felicite
felicite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th December 2017, 16:35

Hope to see you back at some stage. Any chance of a list of the 300 you have.
David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by felicite 30th December 2017, 14:42

Well I've just realised I called you John. So sorry David. Thank you for the interest in my roses. I wandered around the garden this morning making a list. I'll type it up tonight. Should I email it to you? What about yourself? I'd love to know more about which roses you grow.

Felicite
felicite
felicite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th December 2017, 15:33

Email is best as you have 300, or if you place it in a word document, cut and paste maybe, whatever is easier for you.
As for me I have a cross section of roses, For my wife I made a bed of David Austin's, Some Hybrid Teas, Climbers of all sorts. The odd species. Rootstock so I can propagate.  A very old Clb 'Peace" and the ever on going white, 'Iceberg'
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st February 2018, 22:12

Felicite

Anything you are after in particular?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by felicite 3rd February 2018, 08:28

Hi Balinbear, A couple immediately spring to mind...An old Tea; Adam and a modern shrub; Jacqueline du Pre. Also would love another Mme Gregoire Staechlin and really, any of the old Teas. Thanks. 😊
felicite
felicite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th February 2018, 06:29

Hi Felicite, Jacqueline du Pre is very high on my list, I am thinking of "trying" to breed with it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down